Note: Ensure responder safety
1. General Information
Explosive devices may be designed to disseminate chemical, biological or radiological agents
Explosives may produce secondary hazards such as unstable structures, damaged utilities, hanging debris, void spaces and other physical hazards
Devices may contain anti-personnel features such as nails, shrapnel, fragmentation design or other material
Outward warning signs:
• Oral or written threats
• Container / vehicle / people that appear out of place
• Devices attached to compressed gas cylinders, flammable, liquid containers, bulk storage containers (dirty bomb)
• Oversized packages with oily stains, chemical odors, excessive postage, protruding wires, excessive binding, no return address, etc.
NAERGs #112 and 114 provide additional information
2. Response Recommendations:
Command post should be located away from areas where improvised secondary devices may be placed, e.g., mailboxes, trash cans, etc.
Stage incoming units:
• Away from line of sight of target area.
• Away from buildings with large amounts of glass.
• In such a way as to utilize distant structural and / or natural barriers to assist with protection.
Previous: Active Shooter Response
Download this week’s FREE abbreviated guide now: Explosives
© 2008, Informed