Training >> Browse Articles >> Miscellaneous

Police Officers Death & Disability Act

Jim Bragg

Hey folks, lets support this and get it to become a reality. Copy this and sign it stating your support for it and fax it to ALL of your US Congressmen, US Senators, LE Agencies, FOP’s and Police

Police Officers Death and Disability Act

As Americans of the United States, we pride ourselves on the fact that we are a supportive nation; one that stands strong and fights for freedom in our country. When we hear this we immediately think of those in the military, rightly so. However, there is another group of men and women that face the same adversity and immediate danger everyday that go unnoticed. The police officers, the men and women in blue, that serve and protect us civilians 24/7. These individuals do their jobs just as honorably as those in the military, but yet, are not given the same respect or viewed on equal grounds as to those who are actively serving in either the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. Why? Some of these same individuals did serve their country and then chose a life style that is parallel to the military in many respects, but are not entitled to the same benefits should he/she become injured to the capacity of no longer being able to perform their job or worse killed in the line of duty. Who protects those that protect us? What happens to these individuals that are taken down in the prime of their lives and leave a family behind or have a whole new other lifestyle to adjust to? One of continuous physical pain, mental anguish, and the memory of what was at one time, what life used to be like prior to “that day.”

It is out of respect and gratitude to those individuals that risked their lives and lost theirs while performing their job as they were trained, to serve and protect. Two little words, (serve, protect) that have such a powerful message and sometimes tragic consequence is the result. Who knew that those two words (serve, protect) came with just as much of a high price as freedom does?

Therefore, a proposal supporting these men and women is being put into place, called the, “Police Officers Death and Disability Act.” This federally funded act would provide protection to those who did the protecting and can no longer actively serve in that role. Through this proposal would enable these police officers to have their medical bills paid for by the government and that their families’ medical expenses are covered as well. We, as a nation, do this for our Veterans, why not police officers who have provided the same service, but only right next to us, not overseas, not 3 states away or on a gulf coast somewhere, but as local/state police officers that patrol our street/city at night while we are sleeping and during the day when we are at work. These men and women are protecting us, where ever we may be and our neighborhoods while we are not there. In this line of duty, these men and women work 24/7 for us civilians, to protect us and our families. By having this act supported, this would be the greatest, “thank you” to give back to these police officers at the local and state levels and provide us civilians the opportunity to turn around and protect those that did the protecting.

The following provisions will apply to the “Police Officers Death and Disability Act:”

If a Law Enforcement Officer should become injured in the line of duty to the extent that they are no longer able to perform their duties as a Law Enforcement Officer and must retire due to disability, then the Officer shall be determined to fall under this act. Disabled/retired Officers will become eligible for 100% paid medical coverage at the date of retirement paid for by the Federal Government under this bill. The Officer, spouse and children 18 years of age and under, or those who are 21 years of age and under if they remain a full-time student will also be covered under this provision. Those covered under this Bill shall be issued a medical identification card at no cost and it will serve as an insurance card accepted by all licensed medical practitioners and facilities and all charges are to be paid by the United States Government. (This bill shall also include 100% costs of medical prescriptions; such as medication, equipment or any other means that are necessary to aid in the officers’ recovery due to the injury the officer has sustained.)

If a Law Enforcement Officer should become disabled in the line of duty, this bill shall also provide the officer with a monthly pension supplement payment of $1,000 for the disabled officer until his/her death. If the officer should be killed in the Line of Duty then, his/her widow shall also receive said benefit for 1 year or until remarried.

If the police officer should be killed in the LOD, the surviving spouse and children under the age of 18 or 21 if the child is in school will continue their medical coverage 100%. After 1 year, from said date, the medical coverage for the surviving spouse would terminate, however the children would remain covered fully 100% until the ages of 18 or 21, if the child is in school.

Should the surviving spouse remarry before the 1 year said date, coverage for the spouse is terminated immediately upon remarrying. However, the children would maintain 100% medical coverage until the ages of 18 or 21 are reached if the child or children are still in school.

JHW10203RPD

about 1 month ago

What about the police officer who is disabled by a catastrophic illness and is no longer able to perform their duties and has to retire. Ive been a police officer for twelve years and recently was diagnosed with parkinsons disease and have to retire. I vested but will not receive my full pension because i dont have twenty years. This is going to put a strain on my family. I still dont know if im going to get medical insurance because i dont have 20 years. Im 45 and have 3 children one going to college this year. I am getting disability retirement and applied for ssdi, but dont know if i will receive ssdi. You should consider including catastrophic illness. Thanks for listening.
    Regards,
    John Williams (RPD)
    jhw10203@gmail.com

jcondray

3 months ago

I would like to clarify my previous statement, I have had 5 neck and 5 mid to lower back surgeries with instrumentation and donor bone fusions. My last MRI in November 2013 showed that some of the donor bone fusions were not growing or solidifying, and causing pressure on my spinal canal, this means the real possibility of another surgery in the 2014. Not complaining, because I know things could always be worse !!!

jcondray

3 months ago

I do appreciate this effort to assist disability retired Law Enforcement. I don't know if this will ever get passed, but my prayers are that it will. I was hit by a vehicle while directing traffic and shattered my lower back. This was in 1993. I had three consecutive surgeries, 93, 94 & 95. In 96 I had a Medtronic Morphine pump placed in my abdomen and a tube carried the medicines to the main nerves in my spine to control chronic leg and foot pain. I had the pump until 2005 was weighing 325 lbs, was becoming type 2 diabetic. Through the help of my wife changing our eating options, I began to get on a tread mill and when starting I couldn't do 10 minutes walking slow. I kept going and by 2006 I had lost 125 lbs, and was feeling better. I loved Law Enforcement work and vowed to return someday. AT 50 years old, I went back through a Texas TCLEOSE academy, graduated and went to work for the local Sheriff's Dept. I worked for 13 months when I began to have severe neck and arm pain. It was discovered that I had ruptured 2 dic in my neck. I had surgeries in 2007, and while recuperating for several months and getting ready to return to work, I began to have neck pain again and weakness in arms. Once again, I had another disc rupture in my neck. Another surgery in 2008. I again returned to the Sheriff's Dept in 2010, was able to work for 11 months when my back and legs started getting worse again with pain. I had to have another mid-back to lower back surgery, then also had to have two more neck surgeries. I have now had 5 neck and mid to lower back surgery's and had to retire for good in Jan 2012. I just found out about a month ago, my stomach muscles are paralyzed due to the nerve damage in my back. I have lost down to 162 lbs, I stand 6'2" tall. Not able to eat without severe nausea and vomiting. I do receive Medicare disability, but did not have enough time working for any full retirement benefits. My medicare disability was reduced by half because I received a small lump sum payment from the State, (OK) , Needless to say, thankfully my wife is able to work or we would be desolate. I had to cancel my Medicare supplemental insurance (20%) coverage after Medicare allowable reimbursement. The cost just for a supplemental was $450 or more a month. Mine was $650. Being on several medications has put me in the medi-gap in the first three months of this year, so I am having to pay considerable cost for medications. With my wife's income, it puts us above the small amount Medicare allows to receive financial assistance. We are caught in a catch 22 and going under. I pray that this bill can be passed and become effective. Law enforcement may not be military in another country, but they lay their lives on the line every day they go to work, for the protection of our domestic citizens in country. My support is with you 100%. Thank you

ArchiKat

4 months ago

No posts in almost a year? Has any progress been made?

WI_Jeff

9 months ago

Just to let everyone know, I will be using bits and pieces of the comments I find here in letters to my senators and congressmen. I will not be using any names UNLESS you give me permission to do so. I believe this is OK because this is a public forum. If you do not want me to use "your" story about becoming disabled, PLEASE let me know as soon as you can. And a special thanks to dburns. I will be forwarding his research paper to about anyone who will listen.

WI_Jeff

9 months ago

NOTICE: I wrote letters (the first part of October) to the President on down to the legislators in the State of Wisconsin as well as the press. So far I have received 2 replies. From US Senator Ron Johnson and WI Representative Kathleen Bernier. These letters told about the problems Disabled Law Enforcement have, mostly with health insurance. Senator Johnson wanted to check into Social Security for me.I waited to long to file (to proud to ask for a handout). I filled out the SS form Senator Johnson sent, but I know how that will come out. I also told him about the "Police Officers Death and Disability Act". I also informed Representative Bernier and asked if something could be done on the state level. It would be a help to have some numbers. I've been searching for how many Disabled Law Enforcement their are in the US and in Wisconsin. I can't find any numbers. I also would like to know how many Disabled Law Enforcement fall in the category of not able to get medicaid and are also blocked from the healthcare marketplace. I was on the WI state "Badgercare Health Program". (I will be off from it as of January 1st, 2014.) If anyone is interested in the letters I wrote (And maybe you could the send the same) let me know. Also, maybe I can get everybody's story down on paper and I'll forward them all to Washington D.C. as well to Wisconsin (if there is anyone else in my boat).

WI_Jeff

9 months ago

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I broke my back in 1990. Struggling just to get buy after that. I sure wish something like this would get passed. I doubt it will. I think we are just forgotten.

bhd310

about 1 year ago

in the year 2000 while on potrol a traffic stop changed my life. while on approach to vehicle the driver opened fire . three .40 cal. hollow point bullets hit my body. one in abdomen, right arm , and chest. only by the grace of god and skilled surgens am i still alive.the first three years were filled with surgerys ,19in all. I lost use of my right arm and was disabled to the point of existing in a recliner. the medical problems thet come with that much trama to chest and abdomen was to test me to the very core of my faith. the strain it put on my wife and 8mth. old was almost to much to bare. the first few years were ok money wise, but as the realization that i was unable to even hold a desk job set in.money be came a serious issue. my wife couldnt work due to the fact she was taking care of me. The great shuffle began, social security,workmans comp,insurance all were trying to get the other ones to pay for me and medcial bills . I felt worthless and thrown away all the while we had no money . i was at one time a highly decorated and dedicated k9 officer fighting the WAR on drugs . now i was a worried father and husband praying for help. we as a nation need to take care of all officers whom fight the battle for our country every day on the streets. In a convintinial war you know your enemy, in this line of work you never know who you are stopping . maby your next stop is a mom with kids or a terrorist you just dont know. more should be done for purple heart recipiant officers who have paid the ultimate price with life or disabilitys .things that worrie me now are how will i pay for collage ,and P.T.S.D. its been 13 yrs and i still see the shooting . please do the right thing and help the officers who never hesitated to protect total strangers . it takes some one worth something to get in between a gunman and his target to protect them. now its time to repay there loyalty by getting in between them and uncertianty .
    god bless

• 1asteriskshield_ezr_max50

ajsdaddyBPD

about 1 year ago

For those inquiring please go to the above link.

FDCervantes37

about 1 year ago

I wish this would be passed. I'm 100% disabled, hit by two drunks in the line of duty and injured at 9/11. I only get my pension with no medical. I sure can use it. I just deal with the pain and that's about how good it gets.

txmoses

about 1 year ago

hey did this pass

• Me_passion2_max50

RenoNineOneOne

This would be heaven sent for me as I am single with no kids and no spouse, and there is NO HELP OUT THERE FOR ME AT ALL. I can't work and suffer everyday and am about to lose everything and not well enough to even find a job. And jobs I have applied although hurt I've been told we don't want to hire a cop. I feel like cops a discriminated against from seeking other employment for the person (s) personal reasons i.e. maybe they got a ticket or locked up once or a friend or family member. It's like how the military people are being discrimanted against. None-the-less this would be heaven sent for me for I'm to injured and injured for life to work and there is no help out ther for me and medical will be out soon too. I don't know what to do or where to turn for help when Im getting turned down everywhere and cant even get a loan either. I put my life on the line and got seriously hurt more than once and made my way back and suffered in pain and still did the job till this last injury rendered me completely unable to do my job or even household duties. Please support this you never know when it will be you, a friend,co-worker or family member. Thanks and all the best to every one out there be safe.

Ronzzman

Im retired disabled Police Officer this would be a dream come true for medical bennnies...All the haters out there remember don't criticize your neighbor untill you've walked a mile in his moccasins.. (Old Indian saying)

• Pl_stamp_max50

Editor

As an FYI, this is a proposal and is not law.

Law1955

My husband has been disabled oin a line of duty accident and he never got anything but a hard time the goverrment doesn't recognize the civil servants who put their life on the line and pay the ultimate sacrifice in a different way.. I am sorry to say that it is harder on a family to watch the pain and suffering year in and year out.