Training >> Browse Articles >> Honor Guard

4th Annual Fairfax County Police Honor Guard Training Seminar

4th Annual Fairfax County Police Honor Guard Training Seminar

Participants of this year's training seminar. (Photo: Lt. Ken Baine)

Lt. Ken Baine | Fairfax County PD

The Fairfax County Police Department Honor Guard will be hosting a three day training seminar June 28th, 29th and 30th, 2009. This will be our fourth seminar. We have received very positive feedback from previous attendees, including this past year’s contingent from Canada.

We have broken down the training into seven training stations which we will rotate every 75 minutes. We will have class room instruction on how to prepare a line of duty death Teletype Message (TTY), Honor Guard budget and equipment companies from which to purchase supplies. Mr. Chris Cosgriff, the chair of the Officer Down Memorial Page (www.ODMP.org) will give a presentation on ODMP on day one of our seminar. Day three we will transport the class to a funeral home/cemetery to practice a mock line of duty funeral.

There is a small fee of $150.00 per student to support the costs of hosting the seminar. Each student will receive a copy of our Honor Guard SOP’s, a FCPD Honor Guard windbreaker and a barbeque dinner on the first night.

The class size is limited to forty-two students and is on a first come first serve basis to keep things fair. This class generally fills up in less than a month. We are limiting the enrollment to four students per agency. Once we receive your registration form and payment I will send you an e-mail confirming your team members are enrolled.

We have partnered with Staybridge Suites Hotel if you are traveling in from out of town. This is a very nice hotel and their rooms have kitchens with refrigerators. The hotel serves a hot breakfast every morning as well. Their rate is $150.00 per night for a king or two double beds, which is below the GSA room rate for this area. We are encouraging all attendees that are coming in from out of town to stay at this hotel due to its close proximity to our training academy. This hotel is five miles from Washington/Dulles International Airport and two miles from our training academy. The hotel provides a shuttle service to and from the airport and we can provide a shuttle from the hotel to our training academy daily. The hotel has blocked rooms at this special rate two days on each end in the event you wanted to come early or stay later for sightseeing etc.

We are planning on sending a TTY out on this training seminar sometime in January if needed. If you know any other police departments that may want to send team members please forward this article to them.

Very good course for an established team looking to sharpen what they already know. If you have new members with no previous experience, look at other courses.

• 018_max50

pj1346

Does anyone know the history of what flags are present in a Color team?

1patti

All sounds well to me. Responsibility is to respect. Traning is always great to know to what lies ahead.

• Vivian_alone_max50

fultonfinest1220

I will do. Thnx a lot.

• Swat1_max50

Sundaysniper

Great stuff, I hope our team gets an opportunity to attend. We are a Correctional Dept. but our Honor Guard Team is outstanding and trains many hours each month. They stand with all LEO agencies and Corrections at Local, State and National events, I think last count was over eighty events in 08. This seems like it would be great training, keep up the great work!

• Rodriquez2_max50

rodriqueztj

I attended this training last year and Lt. Baine and his staff are very professional and I would strongly recommend this training to any agencies with new honor guard members or new honor guard units.

• Union_county_pros_max50

MurderPolice

Alot of Police Departments around the US only talk about establishing an Honor Guard after a member dies. Then it is put together hastily or utilizing ex-military personnel. None of the Cadre knows what is about to happen when the set of commands are given. Alot of agency's utilize other agency Honor Guards. In my opinion, another agency burring my own is a disgrace. Another agency's honor guard being present is an honor, but actually performing the ceremony...a disgrace..

To L-T Baine, I salute you SIR, for someone in the Command Staff to take on this responsibility is respectful. I would be proud to serve under you SIR.. Although I am not a Marine, I had better sense, lol, I am a United States Army Infantry Man. I have served in Operation Desert Shield/Storm. I also served on the Death Notification Team.....so this article is special in my heart.
    I have attended numerous Police Officer Funerals.....nothing else needs to be said....
    Keep up the GOOD work SIR, I will attend your class even if I have to do it on my own time...

• Picture_005_max50

TRKane

That cool

• Images_max50

OFFICER_K_CPD

Cool

• Hellboy_max50

Jtccss3

Great Story and very informing of training seminar.

• Bdulrge7old_max50

USAFE7

Great story!

• Image_max50

SkoolCop49

Awesome story...

That was a good story........

• Officerdown8mo_max50

WDJR154

CAN'T WAIT, SEE YOU ALL IN JUNE.

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50

MCBJ

Thank God...a good news story about LE???

Dolphins_fantasy_max30
dolphinblue commented on: "Dave Hanson", 6 minutes ago.
dptydawg02 posted in: "New", 11 minutes ago.
Menu-logo-button_max30
Depdawg226 gave a thumbs up to The Photo "Top dog", 18 minutes ago.
373046_26738651698_2132900450_q_1__max30
SE851 posted in: "cite y/n", 33 minutes ago.
373046_26738651698_2132900450_q_1__max30
SE851 gave a thumbs up to The Post "cite y/n", 35 minutes ago.