Training >> Browse Articles >> Community Relations

Coffee with The Sarge: Walking in My Shoes

Coffee with The Sarge: Walking in My Shoes

Sergeant Casey Crouse

We’ll take a tall cup of coffee here. And leave the pot….

“Unless you’ve walked in my boots, you don’t have a clue!” I suppose this can be said about any job. It is especially true with law enforcement. There are other hard jobs out there but law enforcement is truly unique. In essence, you are saying that unless you have done my job, seen my job, smelled my job and lived my job, you won’t understand my job. As a LEO, you know what I mean.

Generally to be a bona fide, certified, authenticated and real deal law enforcement officer, you need to pass an extensive background investigation, attend an academy or other rigorous training and be required to defend the United States Constitution ‘against all enemies, foreign and domestic”. You are required to be sworn in. The journey to being a LEO and breaking in these new boots is demanding and challenging. But this is only the doorway to LEO-land.

What does walking in my boots really mean?

First, take a look at the boots of a LEO. They are built for walking, standing, running and climbing. They step into water, mud, blood, human wreckage, cars, offices, homes, and businesses … and sometimes in the line of fire. Some are specially constructed for spec-ops, riding motors or participating in funerals. Most have to be able to be hosed off or brushed off and continue on with the job.

Ever notice the battlefield memorials that depict a lost soldier? It’s made up of a rifle that is stuck bayonet and muzzle down in the ground. His helmet, his dog-tags, the rifle he used and the boots he wore are all part of the memorial. He or she most likely had on those boots when he or she breathed their last.

A biblical version of the armor necessary to engage in battle includes suitable shoes. Our duty gear is made up of a shield (badge), breastplate (vest), helmet (if required, a Kevlar helmet), a sword (your sidearm and knowledge), a belt (your Sam Brown) and ‘readiness’ shoes. And even in the Old Testament there were the first LEO’s: The Gatekeepers.

Wearing my boots will not make you a LEO. Wearing my boots simply takes you to the arena where I work. Call it a ‘pedestrian ride-a-long’. In the end, you take them off and hand them back. They aren’t your boots: They are mine. You will need to earn your own. Until the time you are a LEO in your own boots, you are a respected supporter or a nosebleed, armchair observer.

When Alan Alda depicted the surgeon Hawkeye Pierce in the long running TV series, M*A*S*H, he wore a pair of second hand army boots that were originally issued to a real soldier. He never polished them, never cleaned them and wore them throughout the many years of filming for the show. His reason? So that he could take one step closer to feel what it might have been like to walk in a soldier’s boots.

How expensive are these boots we wear? Very costly. The sheer wear and tear on the human frame over the years of traipsing around in these boots can be devastating. It’s not the boots but the work. Retiring whole and in good health is not the usual. A soldier may be deployed in-theatre for many months. A LEO is deployed in-theater for many years. And you may only change out your boots a few times during this lifelong deployment.

Take a walk in these boots and you may begin to understand. Law enforcement officers shoulder the awesome burden of responsibility that only the real warrior LEO can bear …and his boots are the unique witness to this calling.

Thanks for sharing this cup of coffee. …been a pleasure. Safe Hunting.

• Belgian-malinois-picture_max50

rookiewanabee

good article.I'm ready to earn mine.

• Cat-in-santa-hat_max50

DonnaLynn

Thank you for the coffee. Great read.

• Cert_max600_max50

coshane220

Ya know, I read the Sarges words of wisdom each time I log onto this site; whether it's a few words in a topic discussion or an entire article such as this. Yet one things still amazes me; His sense of what we all seem to feel yet just can't put into words quite the way that he can.

This is a man that has tremendous Leadership skills, knowledge, and charisma. He is someone that will pat you on the back when you deserve it yet dress you down in a way that is respectable and caring when you have screwed up. Either way, when he has completed his business with you, you will come out a better person for it.

I've got ten years on the job and and can proudly say that my shift is very loyal to me as a Sarge, and I am to them as well for the job that they do each and every day. That being said, I hope that they hear my words the same way that I hear the words of a man that I've never even met face to face. GREAT JOB SIR...Keep it up!

Shane

• Online-photo-sharing-gallery-animal-cat-cougar-artct45_max160_max50

Cat_D

Great article Sarge !

• Me_last_wk_max50

delano388

Great article

• Bronzestarribbon_max50

csiguy

I love this article and how its tied into the currentstate of world affairs. Oh how true this rings. Great read and great write up, I 'm not a fan of reality TV, but if there was going to be one show I would watch it would be one along this very line and title! Thanks SGT. Crouse. Be safe...

• Dusty_vp_max50

JTaylor76

Well said, I hope to be able to walk in your boots one day...or better yet have earned my own.

• Sdc10606_max50

MN1969

Beautiful Article.....

• Xtremesportz_max50

Texastaurus

Only one thing I have to add.. Very well written. Being a LEO and Veteran, reading this makes me think the author has tenure in both fields of battle... March on my brothers!

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

chiefrosy

Excellent article, there is a saying posted on the wall at our academy, there are some that are ment to be the Police, the rest are those who are ment to call the Police.

• Imgp1107_max50

JFC3506

GREAT ARTICLE AND SUBMATION OF THE MEANING "WALK IN MY SHOES", VERY WELL WRITTEN,WENT GREAT WITH MY COFFEE THIS MORNING.

• Imgp1107_max50

JFC3506

• Tn3_max50

maralceman

This was a great article. I myself, a police cadet, am just starting my journery as a LEO. I look forward to being able to service for many years to come. Reading this article makes me know that my journey, although not monetairily, will be very rewarding. Thanks for the encouraging article Sgt.

• Odtanimation1ot6fz8_max50

tacofficer77

Could not of said it better myself! Great article.

• 032_max50

iceman007

We all hope to retire whole and in good health. We live, we learn, sometimes some of us fall. We have a brother and sisterhood that only we sometimes can understand what one of us may be going through. For the most part we love what we do, or we should not be here. We often turn to one another for that shoulder to lean or cry on. I know I will remember the first time I laced up.. Will you? There is no turning back, you can only jump off from here.... Live, Love and be SAFE!

GreenleafJ2014 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", about 1 hour ago.
25-1-13-a_1__max30
SkoolCop posted in: "Team Mascots", about 1 hour ago.
blegault received the quiz result of "You did not receive a passing score", about 2 hours ago.