Training >> Browse Articles >> Chaplain's Corner

Chaplain's Corner: Ramblings

Chaplain Bill Wolfe / Llano County Sheriff's Department

Hello, and welcome again to the Chaplain’s Corner. When I wrote my column for this month it was just days after Hurricane Ike hit the Houston area and my focus was directed mostly towards the survivors of that disaster. But when you think about it for a minute, the thoughts I present are applicable regardless of the disaster be it a tornado, flood, blizzard, divorce or fire … whatever life-changing challenge you happen to be facing this week.

Gee, where do I go this time? On one hand we’ve just had a devastating hurricane hit Texas with all those ramifications. On the other is a very historic presidential election and one which will literally make or break our country. I guess I should try and stay away from politics.

I suppose that when you come down to it, Hurricane Ike and the political contest both have something in common. They both cause us to evaluate what’s important to us; to evaluate our options and the potential for disastrous outcomes if we make the wrong decision. “Once you buy a prize, it’s yours to keep.”

In the case of Hurricane Ike, people had to literally choose between what they would save and what they would lose…to “take a step back” and examine what a lifetime of living had brought and decide what they would and could take with them into the future. A hurricane, unlike a fire, does afford some time to save some things, but the decision making and ultimate loss are nonetheless traumatic events. There’s no way around that. I had the occasion to have a “road-side conversation” with a gentleman from Kemah one afternoon soon after the storm. He said he’d served in and lived through a war, but this hurricane was almost more than he could handle.

I’m sure that there are a lot among the family of the “thin blue line” that have suffered loss from the hurricane and my heart goes out to you. I’m truly sorry that I can’t fix it for you. I’m proud of you who stuck to your duty posts through the storm. I’m sure there were moments when you wanted to help see your family to safety more than anything else.

So now that the storm has passed, the rebuilding of life begins. Where does the inner strength to “pick up the pieces and start over” come from? Hehe. The words to a children’s song from the Square One TV show came to mind as I typed that: “It all comes back to 9.” It all comes back to God. God’s presence in our hearts is what gets us through and back on our feet. Scripture tells us that God “is a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1) Psalms 23 tells of God bringing comfort to one going through “the valley of the shadow of death,” but it the truth is that He comforts through “the valley of the shadow of disaster.” God never promised to spare us from the disasters and traumas of life, only to go through them with us if we are willing to let Him walk with us.

The words to one of our daughter’s favorite Point of Grace songs also come to mind…

Things change
Plans fail
You look for love on a grander scale
Storms rise
Hopes fade
And you place your bets on another day
When the going gets tough
When the ride’s too rough
When you’re just not sure enough

Jesus will still be there
His love will never change
Sure as a steady rain
Jesus will still be there
When no one else is true
He’ll still be loving you
When it looks like you’ve lost it all
And you haven’t got a prayer
Jesus will still be there

One of my favorite artists, Evie Tornquist Karlsson, shared a very similar thought in a song called “Give Them All To Jesus.” Part of the lyrics go:

Wrap up all those shattered dreams of your life
And at the feet of Jesus, lay them down.

Give them all, give them all, give them all to Jesus
Shattered dreams, wounded hearts, and broken toys.
Give them all, give them all, give them all to Jesus
And He will turn your sorrows into joy.

I heard someone say “Easier said than done.” And someone else said “I’ve never talked to God, I wouldn’t know what to say.” Yes, it does often seem easier said than done – especially when you’re in the middle of it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth the effort. As far as knowing what to say…God’s not impressed with our words. It’s the attitude of our heart He’s listening to. A prayer can be as simple as “Jesus, I need Your help to get me through this disaster I find myself in. Please make Yourself real to me, send me some encouragement and help me to trust You in the midst of this mess. You said in the Psalms that You would, help me to believe you will. Amen.” As long as you mean it, you’re on your way.

Hey, thanks for spending some time with me. Think about it and I’ll talk with you next “shift.”

Blessings to you and yours.

• Spring_2008_111_max50

professionalstudent

Another word of encouragement when prayer seems hard: the Spirit intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words to express.

devilpridemom

Thank you so much for this posting, My daughter has gone through some rough times and she still is. I plant to print this off for her and pray it will bring her some comfort and a sense of direction. She says she is saved but has lived a life not indicative of a Christian. I think she sometimes feels like she cannot pray now or she wouldn't know what to say and I believe this will help her. I believe God puts people in our lives for a reason and I thank you for rising to the calling and writing this post. May God bless and keep you safe.

• Untitled-3_max50

Greg1

I happen to be a NAMB Disaster Relief Chaplain with IBSA (IL Bapt. State Assoc.) on volunteer status. I was in Houma, LA when Ike hit. I was with a Chain Saw team there. I've done this for about 4 years now. I have worked with police, military, fire, victims, and rescuers. It is a hard position, but rewarding. I was in NOLA 4 times to help after Katrina. Each time was exhausting, and this is refreshing. Thank you!

• Dscf0614_max50

chopperjohn

GOOD , keep up the great work we do appreciate the word.

ageorge882002

Chaplin Wolfe
    Thanks for this. It has helped to decide what is or is not important. I also hadn't heard any of Evie's music in a very long time. She is one of my favorite all time Christian Artists. I also like her song I'm 4''11 and going to heaven. She did many songs and I loved them all. So thank you for sharing. Blessing's Armilda

• Alice_max50

Chaplain_Alice

Thanks for your encouraging words for everyone

• 0312091735_1__max50

sdaily

I ALWAYS enjoy your articles! They are ALWAYS uplifting! Thank you Chap and pls keep up the good work!

• Meangreen01_max50

AZmeangreen

Thanks for another great article!

• Dogs_max50

JPSarge

God bless you, chaplain. Its hard to type through the tears. We've had to evacuate twice, but were also blessed twice as our house was left untouched, thanks to The Lord Jesus Christ, even though we don't deserve His mercy. Please keep your talks coming. They help all of us. I lost my Dad (41+years of LE) after Hurricane Katrina. Thanks, JPSarge

• 20131224_184758_max50

Muneca

May god bless you, Chaplain Bill.. Thank you for those words of faith and hope !!!

• Vivian_alone_max50

fultonfinest1220

I thank God for you Chaplain Bill, you be Blessd.

• Image014_max50

Geddie456

Isn't it amazing how God knows just who and what to send to someone when they need it the most!! Thank you and keep up the good fight!

• Llheltonpic_max50

Lanner67

God Bless you Chaplain Bill!

• Bicycle_mechanic_max50

scotarle

VERY INSPIRATIONAL AND CAME AT A TIME WHEN I NEEDED A "PICK-ME-UP".

oldschoolnarco

An amazing word of love, hope and faith! You, dear Chaplain, are an inspiration to many.

25-1-13-a_1__max30
SkoolCop posted in: "Team Mascots", 13 minutes ago.
25-1-13-a_1__max30
SkoolCop posted in: "breathe easy", 44 minutes ago.
25-1-13-a_1__max30
SkoolCop posted in: "Oh Yeah !!!", about 1 hour ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "Oh Yeah !!!", about 1 hour ago.
zipman gave a thumbs down to The Photo "newspaper (3)", about 1 hour ago.