Premium Content for Members Only

Training >> Browse Articles >> Tactical / SWAT

Combat Ground Fighting, Not a Sport

Combat Ground Fighting, Not a Sport

Members of the Wichita Police Department practice ground fighting. (Photo: Wichita PD)

First things first, let us all recognize the difference between Sport Ground Fighting and Combat Ground Fighting, that being said we will be able to fully understand the urgency of this article on combative ground fighting. When I first heard and was introduced to ground fighting it was 1991, initially it was introduced to me as a sport and an art, through my tactical experience as a SWAT Operator, and my own training and research, ground fighting has become a very valuable training tool that I know I must pass on.

Like anything else in our society the media has played an important role in the resurgence of ground fighting, ground fighting emerged like a Phoenix in the late 80’s and early 90’s under a blood sport known as Ultimate Fighting Challenge. The people most responsible for the art that existed (not to the specifications of its present art) since 23 B.C. and referred to it in its generic term, Kumi-Uchi were the Gracie Klan. A family of Brazilian Martial Artist who took the art of Japanese Ju-Jitsu and made it into a complete almost scientific self-defense and combative art primarily practiced on the ground, thus the name Brazilian ground fighting or Ju-Jitsu. But like anything else in the combat forum, alone it cannot stand. This very important combat and tactical skill must be complimented with other valuable skills or it will become a detriment instead of a Gem.

Most Popular

In the real world, amongst the highly probable scenarios that exist on the streets and alleys of America, the modern warrior must be equipped with the skills to survive on the ground. I have a multitude of scars and cement burns that adorn my knees, hips and elbows, the reason I mention it is that those scars act as calluses like on a weightlifters hands, they shield me when I roll on cement with a subject. So when practicing combat ground fighting, train with reality, no knee pads or Gi pants, allow your knees and elbows to scuff themselves up.

It’s so important to recognize the meat and potatoes from the fluff in ground fighting for law enforcement officers. Let’s understand first and foremost we should avoid being taken down to the ground at all cost, but if it occurs, we can remain calm and win the confrontation. Conditioning is the cornerstone of ground fighting and more specific, a strong healthy, flexible core (mid section) is the key in placing ourselves in a position of advantage to land a series of lethal strikes that compliment an arm bar, partial choke out or foot lock in order to incapacitate our subject and allow us to control and then place them into custody.

Next Page >>>

• Total_force_logo_max50

TotalForceTraining

Good article! Couldn't agree more.

Myself and my partner both train BJJ but we also understand that it is in fact, a game, and combat is not.

You are 110% correct. Train Like You Fight!

Good read!

KonovalovTaras21

marble.com.ua">Заказать камины на любой вкус

sammy323

I couldnt agree more with this article. I have been teaching CQB, arrest and control techniques (I dont call it DT) for over 20 years. For the past ten years I have been fortunate to be involved with LOCK-Up Police Combat Systems, www.policecombat.com. For over 12 years LOCK-UP has been preaching these practices. The founder Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret) has stressed the need to train standing kneeling and on the ground. Also one of our instructors Lt Amaury Murgado recently wrote an article in Police Magazine regarding this very issue. We need to train realistically and train our officers to stay on our feet. But if it does go to the ground it is a ground fight not an MMA match. Whatever the system you chose just get out and train. Don't rely on the agencies, its your life and career. "For How You Train So Shall You Fight" Sun Tzu

• 3865552356_b034ced2c4_1__max50

TxLeo1210

I am the D.T. instructor for my department and in the past 15 years I've had the opportunity to teach any kind of ground fighting, 2 times. Yet in video, after video, you see that the first thing that most people do when they attack an officer is take them to the ground. I teach at a school in town and leave an open invitation to officers from my department to come train and I will show them how to apply it at work. So far a grand total of 2 officers have come with any kind of consistency. Unfortunately as officers, a large number of us tend to have ego's that won't let us admit we have weaknesses and that we need to train to strengthen those areas.

• Drknite_max50

drknite298

good article

oso1

Dont let your departments lack of money or knowledge prevent you from getting trained. Do it on your own time if you have to. Any training is better than non and you can use this off duty too, not only at work.
    Besides, it keeps you flexible and helps you stay in shape

• Joe_max50

coresecurity

I totally agree with separating the real and applicable techniques from the fluff. I have been preaching that we must remember we are law enforcement officers and not martial artists for a very long time. W do not look for the "tapout" but rather look to cuffing, controlling or negating the subject in a way where he cannot do us further harm. I have been a student for many years of many different systems and styles. Now I teach defensive measures at work and another system off duty. The key is to realize there is no "the" way only "a" way. You have to find what best works for you, is simple, easy to learn and easy to retain. It should also apply to most if not all circumstances you think you may encounter. Alright, I have pontificated enough, good luck!

• Pisilhouette_max50

nightwatch

I agree julian, they should get the basics without gear, and then train with it on

Never give up in a fight and ALWAYS maintain control of your weapon!

juliancavazos

I concur with the article. Train, train hard, but train with meaning. In the photo of our brothers in Wichita they are not wearing their gear. Their gear can and will be a hinderance during an actual altercation. officers should be made aware of this and training with their gear is the only way. Taining and training frequently is a must. Stay safe.

• F2_1__max50

ddoggreen

Outstanding, I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo, have studied different styles of Kung Fu, as well as Korean Jujitsu, Wrang do,as well as boxing, and have taken ground fighting several times as a cop. I do not understand why so many ground fighting instructors, forget to mention that fighting on the ground is a last resort, why is ther this gap between weapons retention and ground fighting, isn't law enforcement training missing the step in between ? I aplaud you for stating the last resort part, and your article puts emphasis on real life applications. Somebody needs to emphasize open and empty hand defensive and offensive techniques prior to going down in an approved course curriculum.

• 005_max50

cbrewster3

Train as you fight, it's something everyone should always remember! I'm planning on starting self defense classes, weather it be a for of ground fighting or karate. I would love to continue throughout my police/military career so that I have those skills will actually serve me and others well

carbonfree

excellent, A must in training is a restraint,And most of these trainers i know have this and teach this.. a sense of when to control what you are doing..in ammount of force used.. based on perp will to fight. And your level of restraints and force in place already. Handcuffed and fighting is diffrent from armed..sprayed and tased and fighting =C And your will to fight.. What are you issueing the arrest for, are others in danger or participateing..? Is it better to seek safer ground ( RUN!! get in your caar if you can, if you can't disable it..find help ) And seek out the criminals from the innocent with reenforcement at a later time. The point in training is to survive, and protect others.. not to kill And not feel responsible. sigh, a fine line. often hard fought.

silverfox605

Many of the people on the street are hard liners who don't care who they hurt. Every LEO learns some basic defensive and take down holds and tecniques. Practicing every week as much as possible until it becomes second nature and staying in good physical shape is a must.. My brother in law, a retired LEO, has always said instinct will protect you! The more you train, the better it becomes. All in all I pray NO LEO is injured doing the job and they are able to go home at the end of the day.

spenc37

Great article, thats how my group was trained!!!

kimtsyuu submitted the article: "paolo bediones sex scandal video", 29 minutes ago.
Hat_collection__2014_002_max30
SE851 gave a thumbs up to The Post "Policelink, What happened", about 1 hour ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "Peoria PD arrest 3 for sex romp in hot tub", about 2 hours ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Suspect found guilty in Glendale police officer's death", about 2 hours ago.