Premium Content for Members Only

Training >> Browse Articles >> Corrections

Creative Cuffing for the Small-Wristed

Creative Cuffing for the Small-Wristed

In defensive tactics for policing, we’re always looking for ways to control (that operative word is bolded on purpose) the behaviorally challenged individual. Unfortunately, not all wrists come in a convenient size to fit our handcuffs. Many people with slender wrists, particularly juveniles, are able to slip out of the cuffs despite our best efforts to do the right things. This Weinblatt’s Tips column covers what you can do with creative cuffing to control escape-prone wrists....

• Jen_and_me_max50

Keex2

Placing the one cuff around both wrist is a unique idea. I will have to give that a try the next time I come across an individual with small wrist.

• Station_max50

car54sjpd

I have also used the cuffs above the elbows, it works quite well.

• Eagle_and_flag_max50

36TR

FlexCuffs are a wonderful thing for the little wrists (and the big wrists).

• Radio2_max50

FireDad

ddeangelo.. Cuffs are one size fits all... Sorry to bust your bubble...

• Photo_user_banned_big

ddeangelo

Their are different sizes, for both men correctional inmates, lager ones are for the heaver men, the small are for my favioret to pick on, the small gyes that are easy for me, any how because I can make them cry. How ever I am a woman, and I like men of law enforcement ,or men of attority. Now the meddum are for men who are in the middle sizes so were. the smaller ladies cuffs are for small woman, meddum ladies of avige sizes, lager ladies are the large cuffs. Now we all know men are lager in size then the woman, so all officers must by different sizes to pervent a peson for exaping our beloved officer, and no none of us like indivauls who are, or go to jail, what so ever. However none of us eather, just because of our bages are above the law, as well at one time proply thought we were intiled specail perviges because of our, or our dads bages.

• Station_max50

car54sjpd

The elbow technique sounds more reasonable than the butterfly one.

• Dscn0041_max50

SgtCop

You can order ASP cuffs in extra-large and extra small from Galls. I have both in my duty bag at all times and have used both a few times. I've used the XL ones way more often but the XS ones have come in handy. I tend to carry a lot of crap in my bag and take a lot of ribbing about it from other officers but I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

DestructoJr

Im not sure if a belt loop will withstand someone violently tugging on it...Im pretty sure the belt loop would rip off and now the arestee has a metal swinging weapon

Kdrapala

You can also take your chain handcuffs and "butterfly" them (criscross them so that they overlap) and handcuff the individual without having to worry about the extra cuff.

• Bring_it_on_max50

PJG

great idea!!

• I_protect_max600_max50

upyours

You can also, if they are limber enough, and willing, handcuff above the elbows right below the bicep muscle. We had a slender little girl in our academy who kept running her mouth about how no one could keep handcuffs on her and we held her down and cuffed her right above the elbow joint and she absolutely could not get out of them! It was hilarious....shut her up too.

• Photo_user_banned_big

JiegojBam4

Goood information

I learned this in the Marines during FAST company school/training.

Great article, but I mus admit something...

I laughed for a good minute and almost choked on my Starbucks Caramel Machioto when I read this:

"But wait, there is an even more convenient method that you can use to handcuff people who have slim wrists and it’s right on your duty belt. They are called (drum roll please)….handcuffs."

Good stuff!!

• In_remembrance_max50

thebig_d_58

wow, i've never thought of doing that, thats a great idea

good call....never thought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!