Training >> Browse Articles >> Career Advice

Police Work, Prayer and Chaos

Police Work, Prayer and Chaos

Prayer is the theme in concluding this article on uncertainty and chaos in the law enforcement profession. As I indicated previously, I’ve been intrigued by

the comments in our social networking and online writing communities that refer to prayer by asking us to do so on behalf of deceased officers, families, and friends as well as those who live in noble suffering in a call to God that is supported by scripture, but, more importantly, by action. In my

last article, I had provided some personal experiences and examples that spurred my own questions and stirrings about God and prayer and asked you, our audience, to do the same. After some contemplation, what did you come up with?

I will preface this again by saying that I am a work in progress. I’m a praying, religious man who attends church, and found Jesus Christ through my own law enforcement experience. In addition to formal education in philosophy, morality, ethics, and theology, I further consulted with a number of spiritual leaders and police chaplains across the U.S. in developing some tangible things you can take away from this piece to understand the importance of prayer and how we can all participate.

Most of us were introduced to the concept of a greater being when we were children. Many of us claim to believe and follow the way of God/Yahweh through Jesus Christ. We attend church or synagogue, we try to live good lives, and we are aware of the frailties in the world among those we serve, but have we learned how to relate to the God who created us and watches over us lovingly and always? In our experience and research, building a relationship with God is best done in prayer so we must ask ourselves, “How do I pray?” “What do I pray for?” “Who do I pray for?” Chaplains indicate that officers often wish for them to pray for them and they respond that they will, especially during times of hurting and vulnerability.

We are born to be good people. When some of us get too caught up in the everyday temptations of life, we struggle to get back on track. Prayer brings solace in a world of chaos and offers a quiet time for us to leave the stress of our lives, and it provides time to build a relationship with the Master of the Universe. We become more comfortable in the presence of mystery. We need to pray in whatever way we know, and believe that our prayers of praise, thanksgiving, and request will be answered for us and for the recipients of our prayer.

There is always some form of prayer or praying common to all faiths or religious backgrounds. It is a known entity that prayers in some form are readily offered whenever there are officer injuries or deaths. The most common comment from people is: “I am praying for you or remembering you in prayer.” When officers call for prayer, a concept of God’s benevolence is present and they trust that those prayers are reaching the God of their beliefs.

Forget science when determining your answers. As a social scientist I can guarantee you that while we seek verification of a phenomenon through rigorous criteria, we cannot explain matters of self, personal experience, transcendence, and intuition with science. It’s metaphysical, spiritual and religious. Philosopher Immanuel Kant once said that science is the organization of knowledge while wisdom is the organization of life. So let’s finish with some words of wisdom by those who have led us in our spiritual calling:

• Praying to God is the foundation for our emotional well-being. It’s not so much an intimate attachment as it is a determined stance toward the world. It implies dependence, vulnerability, risk, and a lack of control. This is where the rubber meets the road for us in law enforcement. We can’t control everything. As a result, we pray—for ourselves and for others. While we cannot fix the world, we trust in God and with it a responsibility to engage and accept life’s possibilities;

Continue >>

southpawhawg

Very timely message! One, which never changes... we NEED the Lord! Press on warriors.

• 276595_93176796002_2660158_n_max50

pjandlj

Excellent!

SHARRI8

AMEN AND AMEN......

• Newtcmbadge_max50

ColoradoInvestigator

Romans 13:1-7 Lindm7371. Might I respectfully suggest that you go to www.gotquestions.org and simply search Jehovah's Witnesses? Yss, best to move this discussion out of this thread.
    Chaplain/Sgt. M.C.

• Imagesca4hzk2w_max50

Romans_116

guys I felt this demands greater attention, so I started at thread titled The Jesus Debate so that this page can remain about prayer and we can take this discussion elsewhere.

@ DRKNTE and ColoradoInvestigator thank you for your comments even though I respectfully am inclined to disagree. And I don't want to detract from the article and get into a religious debate. I also respectfully want you to know I appreciate how you feel and I hope you will respect my choice as I respect your choices and reasons for making them. I ofcourse checked all the scriptures cited using the KJ version of the bible as well as the NW translation. To quote John 14:28 (from KJ version) "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." That statement is very clear and leaves no room for error to me that Jesus is not equal to the Father (Jehovah God). The apostle Paul also made a clear distinction between God and Jesus at 1 Cor 8:6 "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him." And also right after Jesus was baptized, God's voice from heaven stated at Matthew 3:16-17, "16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

The scriptures quoted by you are as you say a matter of interpretation with the exception of John 1:1 which is a matter of differing translations. I apprieciate that you went to the Bible to get your point across to me.

As 2 Tim 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

And although JW's aren't known to enter into law enforcement. While I know no one is perfect, JW's try to be adamant about obeying the law and cooperating with law enforcement as long as it doesn't encroach on our beliefs. We make really great citizens and that is not a false teaching. The authorities are put in place to keep order and we definately respect that.

• Imagesca4hzk2w_max50

Romans_116

Bump DRKNTE. It absoluetly ties in to prayer. Jehovah's Witnesses, Judaism, Islam, Christianity--what is the most important question that relates to all these? Who is Jesus Christ.

• Newtcmbadge_max50

ColoradoInvestigator

But that is not the point of the article. My hope is that it will create dialogue and thus an opportunity to share "the rest of the story" with my lost brothers.

• Newtcmbadge_max50

ColoradoInvestigator

DRKNTE: you are right on target. The "god' of the JW is NOT the God of the Bible. Regarding John 1:1, the false translation of the JW says, "...and the word was a god" instead of "...the Word was God." If Christ is not God in the flesh, then there is no salvation. Not many JW in law enforcement either based on false teaching. Keep them in prayer.
    MC

• Img00212_max50

DRKNTE

This is for lindam7371,

In the Love of Christ, I don't mean to attack nor to bring a fight to draw away from our Lord. I however feel I would be doing a horrible injustice if I were not to address this. lindam7371 I urge you to do some more homework regarding the beliefs of the Jehovah's Witness. The JW teaching about Jesus Christ is the most blasphemous part of their religion. While the Bible teaches that Christ is God in the flesh (Matthew 1:23, John 1:1, John 20:28, Col. 2:9, Titus 2:13, Hebrews 1:8, etc.), JWs believe that Christ is merely a created angel named Michael, is inferior to His Father, and is not to be worshipped.

Please understand.....The verses JWs use to "prove" that Jesus was not equal with His Father, are GROSSLY taken out of context. Their favorite is John 14:28.

Yes, they believe that to worship Christ would be idolatry. It seems to escape their notice that it was the Father HIMSELF that commands the angels of heaven to worship Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:6)! Apparently, if their doctrine were correct, then God sanctions idolatry on the part of the angels. It also raises the question....If Jesus is really Michael the Archangel, as they teach, then why does God say that "ALL God's angels" are to worship Jesus? "ALL" would include Michael, as well. And it is inconceivable that God would command the other angels to worship the archangel. It simply doesn't add up to what the Bible says.

That is just one of many and the most important point I can make about the JW belief system. I say this in Love and Boldness for the gospel, and out of a desire for you to look for the one true Lord and that is Christ! I pray this finds you well!

In Christs Love

• Newtcmbadge_max50

ColoradoInvestigator

I'll post a link to this article in this week's Centurion Law Enforcement Ministry newsletter. Again, we have a sense of urgency in standing in the gap for our fellow LEOs. We have the highest rate of divorce (up to 85%), suicide and alcoholism of almost any other profession. Despite the fact (yea -- FACT) that we are God's ordained ministers for good and a terror against evil (Romans 13:1-7), most officers do not know Christ as Savior and Lord. As such, we are a true mission field. Christian officers need to be sharing Christ with their unsaved brothers -- the alternative should be untenable for us.
    To it!
    Det. Sgt. M.C. Williams
    Director/Chaplain, www.TheCenturionLawEnforcementMinistry.org
    Nat. VP, Fellowship of Christian Peace Officers USA (www.FCPO.org).

• Hogstand

Forceology1

Outstanding partnerships here....
    It's good to stir the pot (at least when there's good stuff to stir)! Feel free to pass on to anyone and everyone who may benefit from this article and our subsequent discussions. --BK

• Cops4christ_max50

SpencerStangz

and back again...
    i understood and understand what you meant by born "to be" good sir...
    for example...Ephesians 2:10
    "For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do these GOOD works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the GOOD life which He prearranged and ready for us to live]."
    Of course that is the Amplified version but it was part of the sermon this past Sunday so it fit perfectly with this point...
    God Bless us all!

Osidegoodguy

Forceology1, SpencerStangz, iputinmytime, and DRKNTE- Thanks, and BUMPS... Fellowship, even this way is always awesome! I didn't mean to come off arguementitive in my initial response so I hope it wasn't taken that way. I just fear that political correctness may seap into something that is not meant to be politically correct. God's word is meant to (in all aspect) run against the grain. I will refrain from comentary proof so as not to stir the pot (haha). But it is the man and/or woman that stand up for what it not popular but RIGHT that wins in the end, even if it means loosing their life. Cheers to you... and to all be safe!

Glad4JC

What a wonderful article, thanks for sharing and I often pray for Law Enforcement and our Military.

Gladys Brierley, Accurate Investigations www.accurateinvestigation.com accurateinvest@bellsouth.net

MarySiopa commented on: "Mary Siopa", 31 minutes ago.
Mardi_gras_cat_max30
DonnaLynn gave a thumbs down to The Article "Fort Sam Houston soldier killed in training exercise", 42 minutes ago.
MitchGnr received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", about 1 hour ago.