Training >> Browse Articles >> Firearms

Updated Glock 23: A New Generation Of Perfection

Updated Glock 23: A New Generation Of Perfection

Source: Tactical-Life.com

The Glock 23 and its larger sibling, the Glock 22, are by far the most popular pistols with today’s local state and federal law enforcement agencies. The compact G23 version generally sees the majority of service as a plainclothes or undercover pistol, while the G22 is a uniform duty gun.

Quite naturally, the Glock 23 Gen4 version shares many attributes and features of the original model. The pistol uses Glock’s “Safe-Action” striker-fired system with three safety mechanisms. A 64 HRC dark coating is applied to the steel slide and the frame is constructed of high-strength polymer.

The .40 caliber G23 is cataloged as a “Compact” version with a 4.02-inch barrel. The overall length of the slide is 6.85 inches and it is 5 inches high. Empty weight for the pistol is a mere 21 ounces. A 13-round magazine feeds the pistol, but higher capacity magazines will work in the gun.

Numerous sight configurations are available. The model featured herein has the factory night sight set up, with tritium inserts in the front and rear. Rampant popularity of the pistol has led to a myriad of aftermarket sights being built for the Glock series, including my personal choice—the XS 24/7 Express Sights.

The new Gen4 version includes three primary enhancements to the G23 pistol. These include the new Multiple Back Strap (MBS) frame, a reversible and enlarged magazine catch, and a new dual-captive recoil spring. On the grip you will also note the Rough Textured Frame (RTF), a unique new surface texturing.

Poll: Who Is the Best LEO Sidearm Manufacturer?

Poll: Who Is the Best LEO Sidearm Manufacturer?

Considering the upgraded MBS frame, Glock includes two additional backstraps — medium and large. The small backstrap is simply the pistol’s stock configuration. A special tool is included as is a polymer pin to hold the medium or large backstraps in place. Installing and swapping the backstraps is a simple process that takes only a minute or two.

The dual-captive recoil spring is not a new item for Glock. They’ve been using this spring system in their sub-compact pistols for many years now. However, using this design on a compact or full-sized pistol is new. There is no getting around the fact that the .40 caliber pistol cartridge is a high-pressure, snappy little round. The new spring configuration helps to dampen some of the recoil from the cartridge.

Regarding a reversible magazine catch, it was simply a matter of time before Glock included this feature. Left-handed folks can work a “right-handed” magazine catch with the proper training, but all of the competing pistols have ambidextrous or reversible magazine catches. The die was cast.

Shooting Impressions

Filling the 13-round magazines to capacity, I started out with some simple chronographing chores and then benched the pistol for slow-fire on paper. Results were on par with what I have come to expect from Glock pistols.

The G23 is not a benchrest pistol designed for punching paper, it’s a fighting pistol. For more dynamic practice I broke out the Rotator reactive steel target from Safe Direction. This target incorporates two 8×8-inch paddles offset at 180 degrees from one another.

During my practice session I worked with the G23 with all three backstrap set-ups. In the end I settled on the medium-width version. My hands are large, but I believe only folks with extra-large hands or long digits will truly get the most from the larger (thicker) backstrap. I also installed a new SureFire X300 on the Gen4 pistol and kept it in place for the first 100 rounds. I turned the light on and left it on deliberately to get it hot. I then fired two complete magazines in rapid succession. The pistol cycled and the light continued to burn brightly.

In all I put around 200 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition downrange while working with this new pistol. I did not experience any stoppage or failure issues—the pistol performed as advertised. Always keep in mind when we are discussing fighting pistols that hardware is nice. However, without the skill to employ it a gun is merely a security blanket. Whichever pistol you choose to put in your holster, proper training and mindset should go along with it.

Read the Original Article at Tactical-Life.com

pj69

8 months ago

I just got a Gen4 Glock 23 on consignment for $549. It doesn't even look like it's been fired. It came with the box, 6 13 round mags, True Dot night sights, a Blackhawk Serpa II retention holster and 2 boxes of Hornady Critical Duty ammo. I know you can see the huge smile on my face. I already have a 21,22,27,30 couple HK's USP 40 full sized & USP 45 compact, SW M&P full sized 40, XD full sized 45, and SIG compact 40. I have owned 26, 23 gen3, 19 and 17 Glocks before, as well as numerous other brands. I have to say that this Glock 23 feels better than all of them for me. Size, shape and recoil wise it's amazing. One of the best firearms I have ever owned. It now competes with my G27 and G30 for concealment carry.

• 014_max50

securetexas

Swore I would never own or carry a "Tupperware" gun... Never say never... I know own/carry a md. 31,22 & a 27... Don't get me wrong they are not as loving as my Kimber, they don't whisper sweet nothings like my Sig & they don't have the sex appeal of my old wheel guns, but they go bang every time... They don't talk back, and don't gripe about getting dirty...

• 1393794_10151798561878138_392793313_n_max50

Blueblood1974

Nice weapon, I have a friend that has one.

• Deputy_badge_max50_max50

Lt12

Nice update to a reliable weapon. Now how to pay for the upgraded model in this budget environment when nothing is wrong with the old model.

• 13739_1324712157564_1223686236_972375_5153671_a_max50

619Reeves

Great on-duty gun, but I prefer my 357 deagle for my home protection.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19380 Comments

Training properly is the key.......to safety and going home each night.

• Img_20140823_202523_max50

chpprsinc

This is what I carry on duty, I love the compact design over the larger profile of the 22.

• U

WarPig

Can you say Kaboom is why they updated it....

DWA

I carry the Glock 23 and I love it, I wouldnt carry anything else. I recomend it to anyone looking for a good gun for duty or home protection.

• Belgian-malinois-picture_max50

rookiewanabee

i have no problem with glocks but when you shoot a lot of rounds,it's irritating to your hands. the grips are just terrible. i carry the xdm and i like it a lot. i can easily qualify with it and it doesn't kill your hand when you shoot a lot. the recoil and trigger reset is better also.but as cheap as glocks are to leos,i think ill eventually get one just to keep around.

• 17may29-just-chillin_max50

DWilkins

I carry a G22 on duty but it's not a Gen4...I wish it was though...I do not fancy the stock grip on the older generation ones. Oh well, it is still a very reliable firearm next to my XD40 that I carry off duty.

• Thin_blue_line_max50

RLW

I carry a glock 23 and love it, wouldn't carry anything else.

curt1968

crap....when glock made the gen4 guns...they TOTALLY screwed up...they SHOULD have made the same setup as everybody else and have the different size backstrap plugs....that would have been awesome!!!
    and the recoil assembly? seriously...there wasnt a thing wrong with the gun and they now have "fixed" it to the point of having constant jams and malfunctions!!
    DEAR MR GLOCK: ditch this 4th gen crap...go back to a gen 3 gun throughout...put a backstrap system like the XD has...and you will have the greateest pistol in the world again...until then i will shoot my 16 gen 1,2 and 3 guns and totally boycott the 4th gen crap that has come out.
    i for one....when the gen 3 guns are dried up...that will be the last glock i will purchase!!!!

sincerely

"DISAPPOINTED"

mpcaptain2145

...and I'm really looking forward to checking this 23 out. I need a good off-duty pistol.

mpcaptain2145

yehti, I'm sorry they don't fit you, and I appreciate your evenhanded assessment of them... and you may be right on the ergonomic changes. I was a Glock mocker for probably a year before I picked one up and fired it... and got hooked. I'm guessing I DO have a flat spot on my palm, it fits my hand like no other. I carry an old workhorse, a 2145, had it since 1996, and it still serves me QUITE well. The only reason my quals have ever dipped to 94 is because of the shooter ...