Training >> Browse Articles >> Career Advice

Training >> Browse Articles >> Miscellaneous

Training >> Browse Articles >> Officer Safety

Five Must-Have Gadgets for Your Police Belt

Five Must-Have Gadgets for Your Police Belt

Law enforcement folks love gadgets and the various accoutrements that go with the job. When I ran police academies in Ohio and Florida, police equipment catalogs littered the desks at lunchtime and cop supply websites were must reading among the cadets. Not surprisingly, conversations on breaks often revolved around the newest device or gadget.

All aspiring and newly minted officers covet the obligatory items (firearm, magazines, handcuffs, pepper spray, cell phone, radio, and Taser secured by multiple belt keepers) worn by our community heroes. This article covers five must have items not commonly thought of that make a crime fighter’s responsibilities that much easier. Not as fancy as the new Carbon Motors police vehicle or as technologically sexy as a license plate reader, these items (of various cost) take the fight against crime to a personal level as they are on your body and can save a life- yours or someone in the community.

Of course that is assuming you have enough room on the belt to place more items in addition to the above list. Skinny badge bearers will curse that statement, while larger law officers will lament their ample-room-on-the-belt status.

Not often thought of until you’ve been in the position to wish you had them, these items could help any law enforcer in situation when your local law enforcement product establishment is not so convenient for you to access. It’s not easy and a little too late to shop when you’ve got a person in a three point pin and you’re wishing for an additional way to safely restrain them.

Many of these gadgets will also be of service to you and your family off duty. Some officers have them in their personally owned vehicles as well as their patrol cars.

1) Window Punch.

Quite a few officers have taken their baton to a closed car window only to have it embarrassingly boomerang back at them as the onlookers laugh. Used by firefighters and EMTs, the spring loaded punch’s steel tip is placed at the corner of the window and allows entry with a minimum of effort. Ideal for situations from highway car fires to dogs left in locked vehicles unattended in parking lots. Around $10.00.

2) Seat Belt Cutter.

The answer to law enforcers insisting that they can’t wear seat belts on duty as they can be trapped in their cruiser, a seat belt cutter frees officers to use seat belts and save their own lives. Additionally important, this handy gadget can help officers to quickly free up trapped motorists when they arrive at a crash scene. Around $10.00.

3) Mini-Recorder.

Veteran law enforcers will recognize this one that was very popular years ago. The min-recorder is ideal for the officer dealing with a call in a building that does not have the luxury of an audio feed provided by the dash cam video system out of range back at the patrol car. Provided that the employing agency or local jurisdiction does not have prohibitions on recording people at calls for police service, this small audio device fits on the belt on in the shirt pocket. I used one myself in uniform and it has saved many an officers’ career. Around $20.00.

Continue >>

• D5126830-76b0-4fe4-b74d-bc2c0f0d8d21_max50

SCOPEVOL7510

over 1 year ago

I all ways have 3 to 4 knives on me. A a pair of boot knives, a pocket knife with window punch, a kneck knife. And occasionally one concealed within my belt line. Also I carry a streamlight Stiron led tac light. Nothing is too much when it comes down to safety.

• Eow_normal_max50

Chappellcl

I like to carry a micro stun gun in addition to a tazer,a Gerber Multi-tool, the child spacers for your handcuffs for the thin wristed, at least three pairs of hand cuffs, Spare cuff key hidden, key holder pouch, spare gloves pouch, a hobble leg restraint, and a pair of nylon hose to cover spitter's faces in the car. I also like the Pelican 7060 as it is bright and fits on my belt better than a Maglight, and 2 flex cuffs slid behind my pouches held on with keepers. Cell phone has a camera, but I still have a 12 megapixel one in the car for the really detailed close ups.

• Shield_max50

janus41

the iPhone recorder works great. im sorry, but if an leo tries to break his window with a baton and it deflects that is funny as hell. i suggest the leo go back to training. i guess a gun, radio, mag pouches, mace, and gloves arent important. jk

• Big_mo_max50

mcho

My fellow officers ask me why I have so many stuff in my crusier or on me but here us how I see it. Rather have and not need it but need it and not have it, you know what I mean. Always be prepared.

• Jack_bauer_max50

Allen705

i think a good rubber glove pouch, or extra handcuff case to double as this is just as important if not more important than any of these items. Officer safety and first responder stuff is paramount.

• Img_1155_max50

Ashurbanipal

you know, there are knives that come with the first two.

• Weinblattmsnbc_max50

TheCopDoc

Wow a whopping approx. 13,000 views in just a few days! Thanks all for reading. And great comments and suggestions of gear to make the law enforcer's mission easier and safer. Great stuff to help fellow PoliceLink readers! Keep those ideas coming!

• Cop_grad_max50

mppd122

Scorpion micro video recorder. I record every interaction with the public including all calls/traffic stops. I plug it into my unit laptop at the end of shift and transfer all recordings to the hard drive. Simple to use, great pic's and sound. I clip it on my shirt at suspect eye level. At around a hundred bucks per unit, it's the best investment we have made in the last year.

• Geiger_max50

David4946

I have a voice recorder app on my phone that I use all the time .

P468

I actually slid an old metal money clip on my belt it fits perfectly on my belt and it is perfect for wedging doors to apartment complexes open if I have another officer or rescue per. Coming in behind me. It's not bulky like an actual door wedge and it works just as well, also no major loss if someone makes off with it.

• 1393794_10151798561878138_392793313_n_max50

Blueblood1974

Great article and I love the idea about the flex cuffs. I will buy something. Thanks Dr. Richard for shared it.

• Trainingatdropyard157_max50

DZickmund

Hand comdoms stored in the trama plate pocket of your vest is nice. flex cuffs made from 550 cord can go in that same pocket. I can give you a link on how to make them(cheap and easy). I like the article very useful I think we always should have tools ready when needed wheather yoour big or small. But there are ways around carrying all the high dollars items sold in police supply catalogs.

• Tn2_max50

ppd_130

I always have extra handcuff keys and my .380 on my ankle. I'm one of the "skinny" officers with limited space on my belt so I have to be creative where I keep extra gear. I also always have rubber gloves and a car unlocking set (purchased on eBay for $11.00) as well as my Kevlar gloves (good for vehicle searches since you never know what you're going to grab ahold of underneath a seat). In addition to my extras I carry my Glock 35, two sets of cuffs, an expandable baton, my radio, a small flashlight, extra mags, a holder for my keys, and a Taser (altogether adds 30 lbs. to my little 120 lb. body! LoL)

• 2011_range_day_2-19-10_max50

USLawman1983

I carry a folding knife clip into my pants pocket that has a window punch knob on it. I carry it off-duty as well. Have several Flex-cuffs in my patrol car, and also keep a pair in my POV in case need for off-duty.
    Mini-recorder is a good idea, especially for consensual car searches. Good article.

• Eagle_bkgnd_max50

mkeel32

I have swapped out my normal knife for a multi-purpose knife that has a window punch and a selt belt cutter already incorporated. I carry this off duty as well. Save's me buying these items individually and multiple times.

yakoosy posted: "with all Faves", 5 minutes ago.
yakoosy posted in: "with all Faves", 5 minutes ago.
yakoosy posted: "porter Apr", 5 minutes ago.
yakoosy posted in: "porter Apr", 5 minutes ago.
yakoosy posted: "police to the", 6 minutes ago.