Training >> Browse Articles >> Career Advice

Ten Percenters®: The Cops Who Really Make a Difference!

There are 1%ers, 5% ers, and there are 13% ers but in the law enforcement profession there are 10%ers. 10% ers are in every law enforcement agency and let us thank God that they are! 10% ers, for the purpose of this article, are those Cops (law enforcement officers) who truly make the streets safe for everyone else. 10%ers are the cops that the cops call when they need help. And I don’t mean SWAT, Narco or ERT since not all of them work like 10% ers.

1_max200w

If you are a law enforcement officer reading this article, you know exactly who I am talking about. It may be you or someone you work with but it is definitely not everyone. I would be either foolish, naïve or a liar to say that most cops took the job to ‘confront’ bad guys everyday and kept that zeal and work ethic throughout their careers. I may be a lot of things, but not naive. While I think many cops took the job to chase bad guys, enforce the laws and do the right thing, many others were just looking for the power, job security or just a job. I can tell you, I was not one of those. I always worked hard to be a 10% er and often got in trouble for doing it. That goes with the territory. I can live with the bumps, bruises, law-suits and lost pay but I couldn’t live with not working hard to protect and serve. I guess it’s like “…a coward dies a thousand deaths but a hero dies but one!”

As a 10%er, you knew all too well where the other 90% stood. There was that 40% that would do their jobs conscientiously but not go to the great lengths as the 10%ers. The 10% ers could always count on them for back-up and support even through danger and some gray areas as long as the 10% er was taking the heat when the S%#T hit the fan with the bosses. Then there was the 25% that would answer their calls, do the job but not go any further and use a variety of excuses like, “the job isn’t on the level”, “you can get jammed up for doing your job”, or “I’m not risking my pension for anyone”. And there is that 5% that is always looking to get ahead by studying for promotional tests, kissing ass and creating a façade of conscientiousness but it is only about them and their own selfish goals. Many of these become big bosses and don’t care who they step on during the ladder climb. They seldom will take the heat for serious decisions or something that could hurt their career. Of course, not all big bosses are like that. Some 10% ers and 40% ers make it to the top.

2_max200w

Last, but not least there is that 20 % who seemed to never be around when the S%#T hit the fan and never seem to get involved in anything but yet they worked the same job as you. They are always conspicuously missing when there is a ‘hot’ call or a call requiring an arrest or extensive paperwork. They often go out sick and if they get injured on a job, they are out for months. They seem to be looking for a medical or stress disability.

I think almost every cop starts out in his or her career to become a 10% er but gets lost along the way. They succumb to complacency and are hindered by their fellow cops making fun of them or they just can’t take the heat that goes along with being an aggressive cop, such as civilian complaints, bad bosses and other pressures. It is understandable, yet the 10% ers still rise to the occasion everyday in every agency. They face the same pressures, if not more because they are proactive, and continue to keep the bad guys afraid. This article for those cops, the 10 % ers! Keep it up! God Speed!!!

Lou Savelli is a retired Sergeant from the NYPD. He served 21 years working in proactive units and created NYPD’s first citywide gang unit called the CAGE (Citywide Anti Gang Enforcement). His unit was awarded the National gang Crime Research Center’s Award for The Most Effective Gang Unit in the US. Lou Savelli now operates the most sought-after ‘reality-based’ training company in the country – Homefront Protective Group. His company provides over 100 classes to law enforcement officers each year and most of them are FREE to attendees. He can be reached through the company’s website at www.homefrontprotect.com. Ten Percenters, tenpercenters,10%ers, 10%, Top 10 and associated logos are registered trademarks created and owned by Louis A. Savelli, Brooklyn, New York.

DUI59

about 1 year ago

I wish there was a way for all to read this, but not only look over the words but understand the words, especially those who fall out of the 10% ers

• Brewer_game_max50

blueknightmilw

LonnaNJ. Sorry for your loss LOL, but you just experienced a 20%'er LOL J/K!!! I'm not knocking you. You probably have heard a lot of venting because I myself have vented to civilians a lot!!. I choose not to take my work home with me but sometimes feel the need to let loose. When I wrote my comment I was working 12-14hr days and 8-10hrs on my off days, very tiered. On vacation now!!1.... Keep offering your shoulder to lean on because we 10%’er need one every now and then. ;-)

• 70748_max50

Stealth4387

When I read this article, all I could do was smile! I am a 10%er and have suffered the bumps, bruises, and lost pay with the time off. I wish the brass would remember back to their days as a 10%er or if they were even a 10%er. I salute my fellow 10%ers! Stay safe out there and keep up the outstanding work!

• The_wall_max50

brooklynsergeant

Lou you are right on the money, I know what it is like to be looked down upon for being "Over Active."

• 20punisher_max50

gman2410

Great article!

• Kts_avatar_max50

ocicat1994

I hope I'm a 10%er when I'm a cop

• Photo_user_banned_big

copfriend5

cops are human and make mistakes too.patty

• Bluejersey_max50

LanaNJ

@ BlueKnightmilw I Agree with you. I can't relate to being an Officer, this is Correct, but I can relate to toxicity in the Workplace. I Supervise the floor, and for 10+ years I've heard my share of LEO's venting about almost every Scenario Lou has brought up. Believe me, I know. I'll even give you an Example, I'll leave out the Precinct. I was woken up at 7am by a knock on the door, I answered it and it's the _PD. They said your car has been hit, I said I see, it's on the Sidewalk(LOL) I have to laugh b/c a week prior I had Just Paid off that Car. A few feet away was an abandoned BMW. Well to make a long story Short the guy that did the report was fairly New, and I was later told he is better at other things. The guy turned himself in the Next day, however, My Report was so fumbled up, I couldn't locate the Insurance Co, Owner of the BMW, correct address. I later was at work and shared my fustrations with a female officer from that same Dept, told her how I just finished paying for that car, and at the next Event, she gave me a name, and rest of the Info I needed. She didn't have to go out of her way for me, but she did, To Me that's Definately a 10%er.

• Img_0338_max50

BklynsFinest347

2016 Comments

Bump Lou!! Great article!! I can still say I'm a 10%er!!

• Mpca_seminar_026_max50

Vader114

Good article Lou. You need to remind them that at the end of the day they need to win. You reminded me a few years ago and I have never forgot. Thanks for all you did, and all you do.

• Brewer_game_max50

blueknightmilw

LonnaNJ, We LEO all have compassion for underprivileged, abused, troubled people out there. But I think you not working patrol as an officer you don’t see all the internal ugly out there, Sorry.
    I like to think I’m a 10 % er but don’t think of it that way (Just doing the job I was born for). There are many officers that fit all aspects of this Ten-precent’er article. Example; the street supervisors are relieved when the see me respond a major incident because it will be investigated correctly the first time. Example; A call comes over and I could be 10mi away and the primary squad could be 1mi away but yet I arrive first and somehow I’m filing all the reports......not because I have to, because I know the primary squad will be more concerned about where they are going to eat or they want to get off on time (lazy excuse). I’ve worked Patrol, S.W.A.T., Vice, Street Crimes; now back on Patrol (Burglary Squad). After 18yrs on this project I’ve never worked so hard and I’m still having fun! Sorry but you know who you are. B-D Thanks for the article, has some truth to it. More in the big cities I think.

• Bluejersey_max50

LanaNJ

I am a civilian, however I work alongside alot of great LEO's of all ranks at Giant Stadium (Meadowlands Sports Complex in NJ)for close to 11 years now. It's not a perfect world, heard some quircky comments through the years, but I have to give credit were credit is due. The Majority of Officers (if not all ) are great, concerned empathic human beings, that have even gone out of their way for people on Duty and off. I thank God for them, and probably wouldn't work so close to ground zero, had they not been employed with us. I also give alot of credit for people like Sergeant Savelli, Volunteering his Time and being Empathic, I'm sure we're all aware that there are alot of "bad guys" brandishing firearms today, that have little empathy or respect for LEO's, Law-Abiding Civilians or even their own Parent(s). I have alot of staff from the Inner cities and spend part of my shift not only Delegating, but trying to talk to youth about Personal experiences and not to sound so Cliche, but how crime doesn't pay and the Short life they may live by joining Gangs, be amongst drug dealers and Idiolizing the WRONG people. It's a Sad Ugly reality that alot of kids Idiolize Drug Dealers, Ex Drug Dealer turned Entertainers, then they do Doctor, Lawyers, LEO's, ect,, The Beautiful thing here is seeing LEO's that Put %100 in trying to make a difference in todays Society, but at the same time not taking any Crap! :)

• Speakeasy_max50

sspeaks

GREAT ARTICLE!!!!! ALOT OF OFFICERS ON MY DEPT NEED TO READ THIS!!!

• New_picture__1__max50

HDSB191

I like what I read. I have known all of the 90% in my 43 years in LE. The one thing that helped me is I did not care who got credit just get it done right. An old LT. I had at Corona PD said "If it looks worng, it is wrong bring him in and we will look the law up." I know we can't do that any more but it helped me in having a perspective on the job. In my years of service I had three rules. 1. Do no harm 2. Hide behind the facts and the truth. 3. Look around at the problem if there is someone else that can do it better than you, help hin. If not get to work. It helped me stay alert and alive Thanks again
    HDSB191
    HHH

• Dirty_harry_max50

HPBushrod

Great article! Thanks for posting.

mkm007 uploaded the photo: "image", 17 minutes ago.
mkm007 uploaded the photo: "image", 17 minutes ago.
mkm007 uploaded the photo: "image", 19 minutes ago.
North_carolina_charlotte_police_max30
armyag commented on: "Dave Hanson", 20 minutes ago.
Brandon_Petersen received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", 21 minutes ago.