Premium Content for Members Only

Training >> Browse Articles >> Career Advice

Tips to Avoid Force and Sex-Based Complaints

Tips to Avoid Force and Sex-Based Complaints

Allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct and excessive force have been the staple of sensational headlines and are made of the stuff that can be career ending even when proven untrue. While this article and writer absolutely condemn any kind of unethical or illegal sexually based conduct or excessive force by professional law enforcement personnel, some false claim situations do occur. Even more important, those false claims hurt the true victims whose claims are called into question....

• 100_0773_max50

mcculln

Great advice!

• Mcso_patch_max50

MCSO_7041

Another great article for a rookie! Thanks for your great articles and keep up the great work

• Car6_max50

Ahi

1990 Comments

Definitely good advice, I have been planning on getting a recorder when I get on the streets.

Article is right on target and the advice needs to be followed by every officer. Recording contacts has saved my butt on more than one occassion. Complaint comes, recording is revealed, then comes "Oh -- never mind then." I then follow that up with a set of cuffs for false reporting -- also recorded.

tplansing48

Excellent article! One that every officer should read and follow, with a lot of sound advice! I just wished that many times I had carried one of those pocket recorders, as my departments did not offer dash cams, or anything of that nature. In one of the departments, our communications system was one step above two tin cans and a piece of string!

• 165_max50

Navy2012

Sound advice. This is a good post. I'll bring it in to share with my fellow criminal justice majors next week.

• File0106_max50

liljj

This is great advice and I would of never thought to record I mean most cop cars now have dash cams but they don't help outside of the car, I will use this advice when I am old enough to become a cop

TheFierceForce

Also any WOMEN WHO FALSELY claim sex crimes-there is a special place in HELL where you will burn for BURNING REAL VICTIM OF HORRENDOUS CRIMES AND THE INNOCENT OFFICERS/OR CIVILIANS WHO ARE RUINED BY YOUR PSYCHOSIS> NEED FOR ATTENTION .WHATEVER!!!! If I could get away with it-HONESTLY- I'd beat your asses personally for hurting women with that BULLSHIT. YOU SUCK and I hope you burn here on earth too for telling LIES THAT DESTROY SO VERY VERY MUCH!!!!

• Images_max50

Woody85

Uncle Dennie great advice!! I carriewd one even workingas a mall cop (Insert Paul Blart Joke Here haha) And I will continue to have one as I enter my LE career.

TheFierceForce

I am a survivor of a sexual assault by a uniformed, ON DUTY police officer. He took the plea agreement . I died for nearly 4 years after and have JUST now gotten my life back. THE BEST WAY TO AVOID ANY OF THIS IS 100% PROPER,PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT AT ALL TIMES. WE ARE TAUGHT TO TRUST YOU-THE POLICE..i DID AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO ME. BE WORTHY OF THAT TRUST AND REMEBER VICTIM/SURVIVORS LIKE ME. CHECK WHAT'S INSIDE YOUR HEART-THAT'S WHERE IT ALL STARTS AND ENDS.

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

Well written. I cannot stress enough about carrying a pocket recorder. I never had the luxury of a dash cam recorder. I had two ladies (I use this term loosly) accuse me of sexual misconduct. The husband of one of the complainants was present and I continued to engage him in conversation as I suspected some problems. Once the complaint was filed I informed one of the complainants the entire incident was recorded. She shit little green apples. One moved and the other would not leave her house when I was on duty. The 15 minute recording cleard me.

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

Well Said, I just wish more officers would fall in and use this.

Stoke artical ...............

michaellwaddell

good artical for new comers as myself

• Sppd_max50

Shoebox

Thank you, I can learn a lot for my new career in Law Enforcement

Female_bodysurfer_max30
MarlyB posted in: "How police treat people with 5150s", less than a minute ago.
Pdp_pics_006_max30
craigw commented on: "Jeremy Aucoin", 5 minutes ago.
Pdp_pics_006_max30
craigw commented on: "Heather Brewer", 5 minutes ago.
Pdp_pics_006_max30
craigw commented on: "MARK LAWRENCE", 6 minutes ago.
Pdp_pics_006_max30
craigw commented on: "Shaun McDaniel", 6 minutes ago.