Training >> Browse Articles >> Firearms

Clean Your Weapon!

Clean Your Weapon!

Andrew Hawkes / PoliceLink

Ask any good, seasoned patrol officer the importance of maintaining your everyday equipment and you might get a response like “Do cars need gas to run? Or, does a marathon runner need shoes to run in?” Having clean, up-to-date equipment such as a charged Taser or a full can of OC spray is important, but not nearly as important as maintaining your duty weapon. You don’t have to be an expert firearms instructor, a Tactical Commander or even be a gun crazy cop to know how to maintain a clean duty weapon. Ask any field training officer if he stresses the importance of a clean, functional weapon to his or her rookies, and I bet you will be hard pressed to find one that does not.

Basic skills should have been taught to you in the academy on weapons upkeep as well as upkeep of your everyday duty gear. A veteran officer knows that maintaining perhaps the most important piece of equipment that you may have to rely on to save your life or the life of someone else doesn’t take an expert, only consistency and responsibility.

Every officer should know the workings of his/her duty weapon, and know how to properly field strip and re-assemble their weapon after a proper cleaning. I love the hobby of collecting handguns. I am not a firearms expert, but I can tell you from years and years on the street, that choosing a duty weapon and sticking to that same make and model will benefit you in a life threatening situation. I know my duty weapon, a Sig Sauer P220, .45 caliber handgun better than I know any other gun that I own. I know the exact feel of each and every trigger pull, the way the gun feels when I decock it, and when the slide falls with a round in the chamber.

Having the proper cleaning supplies is a must, and I recommend a separate cleaning kit specifically for your duty weapon, where everything in the kit is designed to clean your best friend. Solvent, gun oil, even some WD-40, frame brushes and bore brushes and a good cleaning cloth will keep your trusted partner operational for years. And, if you have been on the street for awhile, or have spent many a round through your barrel, have an expert do a routine inspection on your weapon every few months. A new recoil spring that may cost you $50 bucks is a small investment when the time may come for it not to fail you.

Most law enforcement agencies are full of officer’s that are experts in firearms. If you are like me, not one of them, seek out their expertise on firearms maintenance. Then, with that nice, perfectly cleaned and operational best friend of yours, get your butt to the firing range so that you can return the favor to your weapon, by being just as reliable to the gun as the gun will be to you.

Stay safe, serve proud, and go home at the end of the day.

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

Oh..Must do even do these days I am a little lacks since I do not carry them Often...No excuse.

• Lion_cub__masai_mara__kenya_max50

krakin_13

Practice, Practice, Practice... live fire situational training is best, but even response training with a snapcap is an improvement.

• Logo_20bus_20card_max50

GaryB1956

I'm not LEO but am a civilian CHL carrier. I agree with everything said here about keeping your weapon clean and then hitting the range. Since I work overseas and get home only once every couple of months, I make it a point to go to the range at least once or twice when I am home and as a minimum, I will go through at least 150 to 200 rounds in a session. Once I decided to carry concealed, I made a commitment to myself and to those around me to at least be able to be reliable, safe and able to hit what I aim for when shooting. I realize this is an expense that a lot of LEO's cannot consider without some help but my local sheriff's department only requires a deputy to shoot 50 rounds between annual requalifications. They furnish the 50 rounds but I think that as a matter of course, anyone who is relying on their weapon to protect themselves and others should be comfortable and proficient with their weapon. Now if we could just get the politicians to realize that sending police into harms way without the proper training and continuous training is a crime in and of itself. By the way - thanks to all the LEO's out there for what you do. I wish more people would tell you that!

• Skull_max50

DenverHammer

If you can afford to go to a gun smithing course on your brand of weapon do it. If your department is willing to send you is even better.

Img_1050_max30
Irishcop1961 commented on: "T. MAC", 7 minutes ago.
Img_1050_max30
Irishcop1961 commented on: "anna saxe", 8 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1394587715106_max30
Tysyty commented on: "Paragould OBGYN Arrested for Video Voyeurism", 9 minutes ago.
Img_1050_max30
Irishcop1961 commented on: "Corinna Brandt", 10 minutes ago.
Img_1050_max30
Irishcop1961 commented on: "Harley Oquinn", 11 minutes ago.