Training >> Browse Articles >> Officer Safety

10 Domestic Violence Reminders for Veteran Officers

Dr. Richard Weinblatt

In the wake of the tragic shooting death of North St. Paul, MN, Police Officer Richard Crittenden, it is crucial to note that the fallen badge bearer was not a rookie. Rather, he was a nine-year veteran of the force who, as it was described in newspaper accounts, “died saving someone else.” Another officer was also shot and injured but managed to shoot and kill the shooter.

As I read about this incident it reminded me of the aftermath of a violent domestic in progress that I had responded to, along with two other Patrol Division deputy sheriffs, years ago in Santa Fe County, NM. Later, after a particularly brutal eight-minute fight to subdue the suspect, another deputy commented that the incident was a wake-up call for her. She told me that she was reminded about the basics as she responded to these calls repeatedly in the course of our ten plus hour shifts. Veterans need to be reminded of the basics too.

The incident underscores figures released recently that domestics are deadly and experienced, veteran officers are not immune from the dangerous nature of domestic calls for police service. Most line of duty deaths involve officers with a few years under their belts, not the hyper alert rookies.

Ten Reminders to Help Keep Domestic Calls Safe >>>

• 449317_481_thumb_max50

miss_mcfearless

having been in more than one domestically violent relationship, I think and wonder if officers are aware of the dynamics of a dv relationship. learn the cycle of violence wheel/pattern.
    there is an awesome book out titled "why does he do that?" by Lundy Bancroft the answer is simple and may surprise you. I highly recommend it for victims and LEO'S alike.

circle8

About 1961 I was a young guy living next to Toledo, Ohio. I remember the TV news report about a family disturbane. The first responding Officers (2) approached the residence and the husband/suspect walked out of the door onto a porch carrying a 12 gauge shotgun. He killd both Officers as they tried to unholster their weapons. The first back up Officer tried to crawl to the wounded Officers and was shot in the head with the same shotgun. In one minute 3 LEO's were dead. More Officers arrived and took the suspect into custody, alive and uninjured. Less than a year later I was hired as a LEO and during my career I always kept that incident in my mind. You can NEVER forget that someone is always trying to kill you given the opportunity. Don't ever give them that opportunity. I am an old retired LEO now and crippled by age but I advise all my young brothers and sisters to be aware of the 360 degree circle that surrounds you. Don't let anyone enter it without your approval.

OlympicJoy

Thanks, great article!

• 0524001248_0001_0001_max50

PaulGreen

Always good to be reminded. Great article.

sketch222

good information!

• Asafari_max50

northgalaxy1

Always a tough situation. Nowaday's you can't always be sure of who's beating up who!

• Images_5_max50

buck63

Great Tactics Everybody Stay Safe

• L_1850110aea2b41ce936f5cf1a85cce8e_max50

Stevo161

Bottom line...... Go Home At The End Of Your Shift!!! stay safe

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

I agree. BE SAFE

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

Thanks, and I agree this is a good reminder. Great tips! God Bless Be safe!

• My_kids_027_max50

grant319

This is good info. Just keep it coming guys we all need a reminder from time to time.

I would like to thank all the veteran officers for the reminders

• 005_max50

cbrewster3

Domestic violence can get ugly very fast, I was involved when my parents got into it, and I can definately see how it can get way out of hand for everyone.

• Img00015-20101105-1530_max50

thev8man

great info

• M

twistermike45

Very good information, good review if you don't go to domestics that often.

dansoy submitted the article: "http://basel.craigslist.ch/res/4629133044.html", 2 minutes ago.
punisher58 received the quiz result of "51-75% correct", 14 minutes ago.
hatebotots submitted the article: "(*Watch*) Singham Returns Full Movie Stream Free Online", 27 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas gave a thumbs down to The Article "Leesville man accused of trying to buy and rape 10-year-old", 29 minutes ago.