Law Enforcement Specialties >> Special Units (K9, SWAT, etc.) >> SWAT medics??

Rate

SWAT medics??

1,773 Views
15 Replies Flag as inappropriate
Th_dscn0888_max50

63 posts

back to top

Posted almost 7 years ago

 

i was wondering what a swat medic does and what training they have to have? does it take law enforcement training?? thanks:)

Bobbie Jo

Meangreen01_max50

2482 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

The Border Patrol Search, Trauma, and Rescue team (BorSTAR) is both tactically trained and EMT certified. The EMT classes taken are given by the state the officer is located in and administered by a certified EMT instructor. BP requires the Agent to pass with a 80% to make it. Tactic training is the same as you'd find on many SWAT units and has a 50%-70% failure rate in the BP course. Bobbie, you want to be a LE medic or EMT, then you'll need to go to the academy and also inquire with the department you're interested in whether or not they support a medic or EMT program. You might also consider going military and getting your training there.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/border_patrol/special_oper/borstar/borstar.xml


"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~ George Orwell

"Honor First!"

MODERATOR #1 & PL Mentoring Team Member

Just_passin__thru_max50

5996 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

We have a Reserve Officer who works as our Team Medic. He is a paramedic fulltime and that's why he is only a Reserve. He trains to do everything our SWAT guys do with the plus that he can take care of one of the operators if they get hurt during an op. He is a Level 1 Reserve. He doesn't sit on the sidelines during an operation but is assigned as part of our Team Perimeter element.


The Guy !
Photobucket

Honoring the Fallen

Th_dscn0888_max50

63 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

AZmeangreen said:

The Border Patrol Search, Trauma, and Rescue team (BorSTAR) is both tactically trained and EMT certified. The EMT classes taken are given by the state the officer is located in and administered by a certified EMT instructor. BP requires the Agent to pass with a 80% to make it. Tactic training is the same as you'd find on many SWAT units and has a 50%-70% failure rate in the BP course. Bobbie, you want to be a LE medic or EMT, then you'll need to go to the academy and also inquire with the department you're interested in whether or not they support a medic or EMT program. You might also consider going military and getting your training there.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/border_patrol/special_oper/borstar/borstar.xml

i want to be a SWAT Medic......but i am not really interested in the law part of a cop......and i really didn't plan to go into the military......i just was thinking it would be a good career for me ........i going to school next fall for EMT-B then i want to become a Paramedic;....then a SWAT Medic......?? thanks:)
Bobbie Jo

Meangreen01_max50

2482 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

If that's the case Bobbie Jo, then expect to do between 3-5 years of street cop work before you even get the opportunity to get into SWAT. EMT-B is great, but it is in no compare to an AA or BA in whatever (even basket weaving is great). I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just letting you know it's a long road and you'll have to work hard. Good luck and God bless.


"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~ George Orwell

"Honor First!"

MODERATOR #1 & PL Mentoring Team Member

Just_passin__thru_max50

5996 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Along with AZ, I don't know of any Teams that would allow you to be affiliated with them with only EMT skills.

Even in the military, all medical personnel receive basic training. You will need to probably be an officer/deputy first.

Or, you simply can work for an ambulance company. You can ask about being the unit that stages when a tactical team is going to work. Typically Fire and ambulance personnel will be alerted, and in our case, be assigned to be in the area in case their skills are immediately needed. But this is not going to put you in the middle of an operation. You will probably be at a Command Post a block or two away.


The Guy !
Photobucket

Honoring the Fallen

Patton_max50

928 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

bobbiejothegreatgeek said:


AZmeangreen said:


The Border Patrol Search, Trauma, and Rescue team (BorSTAR) is both tactically trained and EMT certified. The EMT classes taken are given by the state the officer is located in and administered by a certified EMT instructor. BP requires the Agent to pass with a 80% to make it. Tactic training is the same as you'd find on many SWAT units and has a 50%-70% failure rate in the BP course. Bobbie, you want to be a LE medic or EMT, then you'll need to go to the academy and also inquire with the department you're interested in whether or not they support a medic or EMT program. You might also consider going military and getting your training there.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/border_patrol/special_oper/borstar/borstar.xml


i want to be a SWAT Medic......but i am not really interested in the law part of a cop......and i really didn't plan to go into the military......i just was thinking it would be a good career for me ........i going to school next fall for EMT-B then i want to become a Paramedic;....then a SWAT Medic......?? thanks:)
Bobbie Jo


The criteria for Tactical Medics generaly included 3-5 years of on the Street LE work, being a Paramedic, Completeing a accredited Tactical Medic Class, passiing a physical agility test, written test, oral review board this is IF you are selected. EMT-B will not work as Advanced Level skills are needed.. As a Medic you have to carry the same gear plus your medical stuff, Shoot, Move and Communicate. and be prepared to use ALL your LE and EMS skills to support your Team.

128846014394059542_max50

353 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

TheSarge said:

We have a Reserve Officer who works as our Team Medic. He is a paramedic fulltime and that's why he is only a Reserve. He trains to do everything our SWAT guys do with the plus that he can take care of one of the operators if they get hurt during an op. He is a Level 1 Reserve. He doesn't sit on the sidelines during an operation but is assigned as part of our Team Perimeter element.

Ditto to what The Sarge said; we're very lucky because our team medic is a board certified MD! Somewhat disconcerting though he is also one of our on call medical examiners. : (


In the eyes of a speechless animal there are words only the wise can understand.

Patton_max50

928 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

ValyCop said:


TheSarge said:


We have a Reserve Officer who works as our Team Medic. He is a paramedic fulltime and that's why he is only a Reserve. He trains to do everything our SWAT guys do with the plus that he can take care of one of the operators if they get hurt during an op. He is a Level 1 Reserve. He doesn't sit on the sidelines during an operation but is assigned as part of our Team Perimeter element.


Ditto to what The Sarge said; we're very lucky because our team medic is a board certified MD! Somewhat disconcerting though he is also one of our on call medical examiners. : (


WOW... he can see ya coming and going :)

Car_for_sale_max50

37 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

I was a NREMT-P with a city ambulance service, and was on one of the crews that were trained to respond with SWAT (well, our city didn't call it SWAT but that's what it was). We got a shortened reserve officer course and were commissioned officers, and carried our "special equipment" (sidearms, vest, helmet) in a locked compartment on our rig.

We weren't right up there with the first stick on entry, but we weren't two blocks away at the CP, either.

Th_dscn0888_max50

63 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

well, i planned on becoming a paramedic after a couple years of being a EMT-B then i was thinking a couple years or so and then go onto Tacticle Medic?

Car_for_sale_max50

37 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Why wait, Bobby? If you can get into a paramedic program, there's no reason to put that portion of your training off. Get some serious medical experience under your belt, then go from there.

Th_dscn0888_max50

63 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

okay;)

-18 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

bobbiejothegreatgeek said:

well, i planned on becoming a paramedic after a couple years of being a EMT-B then i was thinking a couple years or so and then go onto Tacticle Medic?

I think what you are looking for is a TEMS class. Tactical emergency medical service. If you look around on the net you will find a ton of information. All of our medics on our E.R.T have to have TEMS and train with our team on a regular basis. In a Murphy's law situation they would have the knowledge and trust to react during a deployment.

Me_max50

15 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Bobby, I am a medic on a swat team. It took me 10 years to get INVITED to a team. I don't want to discourage you, but you need to know its not as easy as just going to a team and saying "here I am". It sounds as though you are on the right path, going to EMT-B school, then work for a year or 2 depending on how busy the service you work for is, then go to medic school. Medic school can be overwhelming due to all the stuff that gets cramed into a year. The reason I say wait is its hard to understand some of the advanced procedure if you are not confident and comfortable with the basics. After you become a medic start talking to the team in your area. Get your name and face out there. Also find out what the team fittness standards are and make sure you are apply to pass it. You don't want to get invited and thenfail the fittness test. Once you are on the team then go to a TEMS course. Most TEMS courses require you be sponsored by a LE agency. I went through Dept. of Homeland Security. Also there is alot of gear you need when you go and it would be expensive to buy all the gear on your own. Good luck and if you need any more info let me know.