Law Enforcement Specialties >> Campus Law Enforcement >> become a DOT officer


become a DOT officer

3 Replies Flag as inappropriate

6 posts

back to top

Posted about 8 years ago


Hi! folks I have a question and hopefully you can answer it for me. I would like to no what i need to do to become a DOT officer?will I need to go to school? I already no what to look for in then big rigs due to i am an over the road truck driver.and I would like some information please any help would be much appericated.


142 posts

back to top

Rate This | Posted about 8 years ago


Never heard of them, sorry cant help ya.

" The more you sweat while training, the less you bleed in the street."


40 posts

back to top

Rate This | Posted about 8 years ago


Depends on what part of the country you live in. In the great state of Texas you can become certified in one of three ways.

1. Become employed by the Texas DPS as a hwy troop. They have hwy patrol troopers that are certified to conduct level 2 and 3 inspections. They also have a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement unit. Troopers usually transfer into the unit after so many years in hwy patrol, and are certified to conduct all levels of inspections depending on their training.

2. Texas DPS also has civilian positions for commercial vehicle inspections / compliance reviews.  They attend the same training as the troopers, county, and local officers attend when they become certified. I believe the civilian postions are at fixed locations / weigh stations, and as trucks come into the weigh stations they are inspected.

3. Join the local p.d. or county s.o. Depending on the size of the city and / or county, the agency may already be a part of the commercial vehicle enforcement program. If the agency is a part of the program they will send you to the training should you be selected to join the unit after spending some time in patrol.

If you are trying to become a commissioned officer you will have to attend a police academy no matter where you are at. If you are just wanting to be a civilian inspector check with the state agency in your area. You may also want to check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. They also have civilian spots.