Law Enforcement Specialties >> Special Units (K9, SWAT, etc.) >> Belgian malinois VS German Shephard

Rate

Belgian malinois VS German Shephard

24,765 Views
60 Replies Flag as inappropriate
Pd_patch_max50

306 posts

back to top

Posted almost 7 years ago

 

which one should I get what are the pros and cons to each?
Help me out here folks

Mandy_s_pictures_359_normal_max50

316 posts

back to top
+1

Rated +1 | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

It depends on the type of training. I'm not a pro but ive been training and competing shpeherds for about 10yrs. Malinois live longer and are cheaper but they are not as good of a dog IMO. If you are looking for a sniffer dog only and cost is a factor then go with a maly. If your looking for a dual trained (by that i mean sniffer and protection) go with a shepherd. Malinois have great noses but are not like a shepherd when it comes to protection. IMO shpeherds are smarter but they are also harder to train and control then a maly. Takes a big committment to get, train and keep up on training. What are looking for and i may be able to elaborate further?

-70 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Im not a k-9 guy but I will tell you what our dept did. We have a k9 handler who had a german s. for 9 years . The dog is now retired and we just purchased 2 malinois with the addition of a 2nd k9 officer. Im not sure of all the reasons but a few were a quicker and smarter dog. I cant offer facts but, our k9 guy does alot of research and I believe he chose the malinios for several reasons. If that helps. If you want more let me know i will get some info for you,

-1398 posts

back to top
+1

Rated +1 | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

The Belgian Malinois is by far faster than the German Shepard. Breeders today don't investigate the history of their German Shepards and hip dysplasia is far more common in the shepard than the malinois.

10-1-2007-03_max50

156 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Both are good dogs. Mals are usually faster, leaner and called, "mal-i-nuts" for a reason... Some of them are really "hard" dogs while GSD tend to be a little less so, Jroger is right on with the displasia. Not too many years ago actually, the Europeans couldn't send over them because the Americans couldn't handle them!! GSD are great too, though. It depends on what the dept wants. couldn't go wrong with either one and training!!

Picture_059_max50

27 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

It depends on the handler which is better too. If you have a "green" handler, then maybe a Shepard might be better, because they tend to be easier to handle, and are generally a little more laid back. A Malinois is like a 10 year old kid on a sugar high!! They are wide open....and no matter what you do to a malinois, you can't slow them down. They are hardheaded, and head strong, and tend to be more difficult to train sometimes because of it. An experienced handler generally has an easier time with a Mal, but they are still a handful. But when the crap hits the fan, and you need a dog to take down the bad guy..........nothing compares to a Malinois!! They run faster, they hit harder, and there bites are harder! I can say this, because I have had both a shepard and a Mal.

Malinois..........faster than a speeding shepard!!

10-1-2007-03_max50

156 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

emoorenc35 said:

It depends on the handler which is better too. If you have a "green" handler, then maybe a Shepard might be better, because they tend to be easier to handle, and are generally a little more laid back. A Malinois is like a 10 year old kid on a sugar high!! They are wide open....and no matter what you do to a malinois, you can't slow them down. They are hardheaded, and head strong, and tend to be more difficult to train sometimes because of it. An experienced handler generally has an easier time with a Mal, but they are still a handful. But when the crap hits the fan, and you need a dog to take down the bad guy..........nothing compares to a Malinois!! They run faster, they hit harder, and there bites are harder! I can say this, because I have had both a shepard and a Mal.

Malinois..........faster than a speeding shepard!!

I agree. Mals are better for experienced handlers. Shepherds for more inexperienced ones.

-1398 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

As a K9 trainer with both green handlers and experienced handlers, the mal is always easier to command and their performance by far out does any GS. GS have a tendency to be more hesitant when given a command regardless who the handler is.

-7 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

I have been around both for many years, while growing up my neighbor was a handler and still is his first dog was a GS, he now has a mali, my department has two mali's and i have to say I like the malis much better than the shepards.... I have taken a bite from both and the mail's tend to stay and listen a lot better.....as for the faster yes mali's are much quicker....as for the dual training, our dogs are dual trained in bomb detection as well as person and they rock at both jobs and both dogs have been used for not only our agency but others as well......I used to be very partial to the GS, but now my views have changed....also the hip dysplasia is a huge problem with the GS, and if they are ever hurt or injur a hip in the line of duty they are as good as retired. Hope this helps.....

-paxp-deijejanuary2012bingoforhomelessfamiliesutahcyberslutsorg_max50

706 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Remember to take into consideration OFA Hip certification. GOOD longterm service and a healthier dog overall.

I love my dogs, all of them that I have been fortunate to own longterm, as well as help place into foster homes.

AKC and other registrations do not guarantee the quality of any breed of dog, if the people filled out the paperwork corrctly that is all you have to go on. If they showed the dogs, or trial winning, training wins, etc then you can rely on that. If not it is back to the OFA and the hip xrays for quality assurance.

As for the breed stability and confirmation it seems to vary from handler to handler as to which breed is better overall.

Good dogs are not just mass produced like the petstore puppy mills and backyard breeders.


Never Forget the members of public safety who have died and continue to suffer from past meth lab exposure!

N559196963_9465_max50

11 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Mal's hands down as the next great K9, they are currently what K9 is all about.

Photo_user_blank_big

3 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Mal's are good dog's but they are a high maintence dog they need a lot of attention the German Shepard is better all around dog i have been with both and i like the shepard far better

Jpd_new_max50

1893 posts

back to top
+1

Rated +1 | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

As a "green" handler now, I wanted and chose a GS. Nothing against mali's, they're great dogs too. Training right now with 2 other handlers with mali's (and they're awesome). I learned, so far, that selection should be made with great care (like some of the last posts said). Training is also very important. Find someone who cares for the dogs (with proper training and maintenance). Remember, everyone claims to be the best trainer. I got lucky. As far as which dog is better, it's like saying which handgun, squad car, etc. is the best? Both have their advantages and disadvantages. TRAINING is always the key. Remember you're looking for a working dog, not a show dog. Good hunting.


"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu

PL Mentoring Team Member

Nikko___me_max50

43 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

I've been involved in a couple different dog sports (shutzhund, PSA). I am not a k9 handler only cuz our department won't spend the money and is scared of the liability. I own a Czech dark sable GSD and he is trained in protection and OB. The PSA training was virtually identical to K9 police training..Apprehention of multiple targets, car jackings, and they bite a suit not a sleeve and are trained to strike in the left shoulder or leg. I have a suit and have taken many bites from both mali's and GSD's. Of course there are exceptions but I am partial to GSD's. If you take your time and do your homework and get a reputible european bloodline you will get a serious GSD. Both are good dogs, it's just how you train them. If I had to pick out things about each dog they would be: GSD's are smarter and tend to think more for themselves and you, if you as the handler are not experienced enough. The GSD is capable of learning over 400 single word commands, more loyal, more stable, the most efficient in multi purpose training. As far as the hips, if you get a female which are smaller or a Czech/DDR working line GSD they do not have the slope like regular GSD's or show GSD's have.

The Mali's are smaller, faster, bite harder per sq. inch, don't have hip problems, live longer, But they are extremely hyper and sometimes difficult to control, need more attention, and poor breeding has made it difficult to find a real quality mali. In my experience, you have to do even more homework to make sure you get a good one, If you do find one you will be happy though.

The bottom line is getting the right dog for you, training it properly. Both dogs have their flaws you just have to decide which ones you willing to live with. I would say Nerves of steel and stability are most important, both dogs are capable of crushing both bones in a humans arm. Neither dog tickles when they bite I can tell you that from experience.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Img_1129_max50

117 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

I have worked both breeds and trained many at our Canine Enforcement Center in Front Royal, VA. Everybody there knows that when I come down to do extended TDY training that I want the most hardheaded stubborn bad ass Maly's to work with.
I love those dogs beyond any other breed. Ironically, I currently work a phenomenal GSD, who just blew my two other Maly's out of the water in drug work.

They take more time than a GSD to train sometimes, and the learning process can be dangerous and painful to the handler when they get frustrated and mad, because they will bite you. However, when that light switches on one day it is a beautiful thing to watch.

-643 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

I'm sorry, but anyone that says a newbie handler would be better off with a GSD has no idea as to what they are talking about.

GSD's are smarter, more agile, more determined, etc., BUT if you do not know how to train them, you are SOL!

There is a reason why 90% of the WORLD'S Police and Military Units use GSD's as their K9's.

Img_1365_max50

147 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Good Dog + Good Handler + Good Trainer = Excellent Dog Team.

I am on my third dog, one Dutch Shepard and two GSD. Ford, Dodge, Chevy bla bla bla. The bottom line is about what they have under the hood. It makes for good forum talk I guess, but to say one breed is better than the other is just that, forum talk.

Img_1129_max50

117 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted almost 7 years ago

 

Until I had my current GSD, I was guilty of biased breed promotion. I love the Maly no doubt, but JustinUSMC and mpdk9214 nailed it on the head when it comes to the human factor involved with the dog.

19_may_07__4__max50

15 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

JustinUSMC have you noticed that most of the puppy program dogs at lackland are mals? Got to be something there. GSD are awsome dogs and are proven as great detector dogs aswell as protection. Mals are just nuts and trained right they are unstopable. IMO. But it does have to do with the handlers and training. I have seen some messed up mals that were not trained right, and boy can they be stubbern.

Img_0292_max50

4 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

a malinois is the best you can have it will never give up in the fight it is a partner you can depend on believe in your partner.

Img_0292_max50

4 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

jendmurray5 said:


emoorenc35 said:


It depends on the handler which is better too. If you have a "green" handler, then maybe a Shepard might be better, because they tend to be easier to handle, and are generally a little more laid back. A Malinois is like a 10 year old kid on a sugar high!! They are wide open....and no matter what you do to a malinois, you can't slow them down. They are hardheaded, and head strong, and tend to be more difficult to train sometimes because of it. An experienced handler generally has an easier time with a Mal, but they are still a handful. But when the crap hits the fan, and you need a dog to take down the bad guy..........nothing compares to a Malinois!! They run faster, they hit harder, and there bites are harder! I can say this, because I have had both a shepard and a Mal.

Malinois..........faster than a speeding shepard!!


I agree. Mals are better for experienced handlers. Shepherds for more inexperienced ones.


i also agree mals are great partners and my partner VITO is the best

Img_1365_max50

147 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

bravo59 said:

a malinois is the best you can have it will never give up in the fight it is a partner you can depend on believe in your partner.

I dont know what exp you have had with dogs but you are speaking way out of line if you are suggesting that breed has anything to do with a dog giving up in a fight and being able to depend on your dog.

2asterisk_max50

130 posts

back to top
+1

Rated +1 | Posted over 6 years ago

 

As a Master Trainer for the North American Police Work Dog Association, I have seen many, many Mals AND GS's. For anyone to say that one breed is better than the other is foolish. It all comes down to personal preference. There have been a couple of references made to selection and training and this holds true not only for the dog, but also (and especially) for the HANDLER. It's a match game. Personally speaking, I have seen very few Mals that would be a good match for a first time handler. Note that I did not say I haven't seen ANY Mals that would be a good match. My experience has been that Mals can be unforgiving and their quickness makes them at times difficult to manage...usually better handled by someone with some experience. GS's on the other hand, are USUALLY a little more laid back and will USUALLY give some sign of going towards out of bounds before MOST Mals. A lot of this depends on what the dog is to be used for and again, how it is selected. There are soft Mals out there just like there are hard Shepherds. I personally prefer a harder dog and I'm on my second Shepherd. I don't compete, but I would put his ability up against any dog I've seen. He's not better, he just does as he's been trained...as they all should. Everything any K9 does is (or should be) predicated on mastering simple obedience work, which is the foundation of everything.
I would caution anyone with regards to worrying how hard the dog bites. There are very few individuals that will continue doing what they were previously engaged in once a 60-90 pound dog is hanging on them...regardless of how hard that initial hit was. What impresses me is the control aspect and how proficient is the team at STOPPING the aggression? Hitting the gas is easy...it's getting the machine to stop that takes work.
While hip dysplasia is an issue with most any of the larger breeds, selection of a quality import GS will in most cases successfully address this. My first dog worked until he was almost 11 and, in the words of his vet, had the hips of a one year old. It's something that can't be predicted, but can be factored into initial selection.
My (biased) vote goes to the GS, with the disclaimer to hold great respect for a well-trained, well-managed Malinois team. Good handler selection, good dog selection, proper basic training and proper preparation for the street through the implementation of realistic, scenario-based training will in all but a very few cases result in a solid, quality working dog--regardless of the breed.

Bv2_max50

82 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

I'M BIAS I LIKE THE GS, THE MALS ARE GOOD DOGS, BUT THEY ARE JUST TOO SKINNY, WE HAD ONE PICKED UP BY A SUSPECT IN SAN DIEGO AND JUMPED OFF THE BRIDGE WITH THE DOG. PLUS TRAINING HAS ALOT TO DO WITH IT....

Img_1365_max50

147 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

K9Deuce said:

As a Master Trainer for the North American Police Work Dog Association, I have seen many, many Mals AND GS's. For anyone to say that one breed is better than the other is foolish. It all comes down to personal preference. There have been a couple of references made to selection and training and this holds true not only for the dog, but also (and especially) for the HANDLER. It's a match game. Personally speaking, I have seen very few Mals that would be a good match for a first time handler. Note that I did not say I haven't seen ANY Mals that would be a good match. My experience has been that Mals can be unforgiving and their quickness makes them at times difficult to manage...usually better handled by someone with some experience. GS's on the other hand, are USUALLY a little more laid back and will USUALLY give some sign of going towards out of bounds before MOST Mals. A lot of this depends on what the dog is to be used for and again, how it is selected. There are soft Mals out there just like there are hard Shepherds. I personally prefer a harder dog and I'm on my second Shepherd. I don't compete, but I would put his ability up against any dog I've seen. He's not better, he just does as he's been trained...as they all should. Everything any K9 does is (or should be) predicated on mastering simple obedience work, which is the foundation of everything.
I would caution anyone with regards to worrying how hard the dog bites. There are very few individuals that will continue doing what they were previously engaged in once a 60-90 pound dog is hanging on them...regardless of how hard that initial hit was. What impresses me is the control aspect and how proficient is the team at STOPPING the aggression? Hitting the gas is easy...it's getting the machine to stop that takes work.
While hip dysplasia is an issue with most any of the larger breeds, selection of a quality import GS will in most cases successfully address this. My first dog worked until he was almost 11 and, in the words of his vet, had the hips of a one year old. It's something that can't be predicted, but can be factored into initial selection.
My (biased) vote goes to the GS, with the disclaimer to hold great respect for a well-trained, well-managed Malinois team. Good handler selection, good dog selection, proper basic training and proper preparation for the street through the implementation of realistic, scenario-based training will in all but a very few cases result in a solid, quality working dog--regardless of the breed.

Well Said!

Germanweba_max50

20 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

It is all about the dog, I am on my third dog and train dogs for other departments. Hands down, I would go with the GSD if you are a first time handler. They tend to be a little more user friendly and are wonderful and loyal companions.

The Malinois I like to describe to people as GSD on meth!! They are a bit more independent and they think at least three steps if not 3 miles ahead of the average handler. They are allin all wonderful animals but I just don't think they are for first time handlers.

2_4_logo_md_max50

101 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

Malinois all the way!!! as for a malinois being cheap I don't know where you get yours but ours are anything but cheap! Our k9's are imported and cost $13,500 for a dual purpose k9. MAli's have high drives, live longer, extreme agility and they are fast ! Watch one of them apprehend and you will know what I am talking about.
The down side of a malinois for a pet is they are hyper (high strung) they do not make a good house pet! these are great working dogs. I have a female malinois at home and she has to be outside in the yard due to her continued hyperness! and she is 12 years old!
Remember this also, K9 handlers always think their k9's are the best.

-643 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

GOOCH said:

Malinois all the way!!! as for a malinois being cheap I don't know where you get yours but ours are anything but cheap! Our k9's are imported and cost $13,500 for a dual purpose k9. MAli's have high drives, live longer, extreme agility and they are fast ! Watch one of them apprehend and you will know what I am talking about.
The down side of a malinois for a pet is they are hyper (high strung) they do not make a good house pet! these are great working dogs. I have a female malinois at home and she has to be outside in the yard due to her continued hyperness! and she is 12 years old!
Remember this also, K9 handlers always think their k9's are the best.

13.5? have you seen the prices for P.B. TOP European, (and American now as well!!! ), Blood Line GSD's puppies? Anywhere between $10-25,000!!!

It's insane!!!

Either way, I prefer GSD's... but because I one and have grown up wih them my whole life and have worked with them. I've also worked with Mal's and they are phenominal dogs too!!!

It's up to EACH INDIVIDUAL as to what they prefer!!

Justin

2_4_logo_md_max50

101 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

you are correct it's all up to the individual. you work what you are comfortable with. It is crazy at the prices they are getting for these dogs, but luckily we have asset forfeiture $ to spend.

Grow_house_006_max50

22 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted over 6 years ago

 

I am currently living and breathing the "first time handler" problem with a Mal. I happend to have a very hard Mal and it is a BITCH!!!! if you have a choice i think it would be wise to have a sheppard being a first time handler. This is from my expierence. However; in general the Mal's will work circles around the sheppards... Dont get me wrong you have Sheppards out there with great drive but, if you take ten Mal's and ten sheppards......... I'll place my bet on the Malinois.. Malinois, faster than a speeding sheppard :) www.zenderhauskennels.com

Next Page >