General Forums >> General Discussions >> Academy / Street

Rate

Academy / Street

296 Views
8 Replies Flag as inappropriate
Img_0306_max50

138 posts

back to top

Posted about 7 years ago

 

I've heard lots of cops say they only use 10% of what they learned in the academy on the street. Should academies change how they teach, or is on the job experience to unique from person to person? Any thoughts?

Meangreen01_max50

2482 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I'd say yes. The Border Patrol academy has already changed some things to increase the usefulness of training. More needs to be done though. Most of what I learned at the academy has been useless to me. PT and officer safety training were the most useful (about 99%). The laws and even the way we trained in the Spanish language I found were not useful in the field. I've learned a different way of speaking Spanish, I only use 25% of the laws taught to me, and the other 75% of the laws I learned during my FTU days. Sad to say, but it's definitely time for a revamp.


"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~ George Orwell

"Honor First!"

MODERATOR #1 & PL Mentoring Team Member

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think the academy teaches basic knowledge and its up to us to go farther. Is this right for training? I dont know.

Blank2_max50

83 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I'd have to say that what I learned in the Academy is only about 10% or what I use. To even get close to everything you need to know, the Police Acdemy would have to be like Law school or one of the Service Academys. Even then there would still be a gap between what is being taught and what it's like on the street. This is one of the only jobs that I know of that in order to maintain your license you have to continue to your education until you leave the profession.

Dscn1049_max50

145 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

the academy teaches you just enough to be dangerous to yourself and your fellow officers. The street teaches you the things that keep your arse out of trouble.

Deadman_pirate_flag_max50

304 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Many academies do the best they can, and even the instructors will tell you that most of your practical knowledge comes from time on the street. The problem is, the academy is, and always will be a controlled environment, unable to replicate the millions upon millions of variables an officer will encounter while working his/her beat. The system does, however, build a basic knowledge base, and most attempt to show you basic tricks of the trade to keep yourself alive once out there in the real world.

As an instructor once told me: "We're only here to help you get dying out of your system, because once you're out there, you're playing for keeps".

Bluebarb_max50

470 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Personally, I think most academies teach what they teach to keep the agency out of trouble when it comes to liability. The agency can say the officer was trained even if they don't use it regularly. Nothing beats hands on, OJT, FTO training, etc. It's like a degree (I know there already is a post somewhere about this) but I'd rather have a seasoned officer with no degree working with me vs. one with 4 or 6 years college and no experience.


Kyle313
Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer

Investigator_max50

746 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Most states have a governing authority that outlines the basic law enforcement training required for that state. Some agency's academies don't go what is required required for certification and others go above and beyond. What I was told when I was a recruit 21 years ago is in the academy you're going to learn the basics of how you're SUPPOSED to do the job, after you graduate, work with the dinosaur,s keep your mouth shut, watch, listen and learn how the job is actually done.


Ne conjugare nobiscum.

Merda taurorum animas conturbit.

There's no "I" in team... But there's two in idiot.