General Forums >> General Discussions >> Officers who go Bad !

Rate

Officers who go Bad !

477 Views
29 Replies Flag as inappropriate
Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top

Posted about 7 years ago

 

Is it as bad as they say for officers who go bad and get arrested ??? Not that I wish that happens to anybody , I always feel sorry for the ones who act before they think they have so much to lose. But I have heard alot of different stories about what happens when an officer is arrested. I really don't know what to believe because most of what I have heard were from non Leo's .

Deadman_pirate_flag_max50

304 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I had two partners on patrol who were molesting their own daughters. Not only did we line up for the chance to let them know just how disgusted WE were, one of them was later stabbed in prison. I hate to sound cold, but I really don't care how bad they have it. Once you find yourself "on the take", molesting a child, abusing your power, etc, etc, then you're dead to me.

Police-19_max50

1827 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

BuzzKill said:

I had two partners on patrol who were molesting their own daughters. Not only did we line up for the chance to let them know just how disgusted WE were, one of them was later stabbed in prison. I hate to sound cold, but I really don't care how bad they have it. Once you find yourself "on the take", molesting a child, abusing your power, etc, etc, then you're dead to me.

I could not say it any better myself


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trex_comp_max50

1365 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

It's not just COPS gone bad... Hell, every career has a "gone bad" side. An architect who had his own firm, lots of money awesome house, cars etc... got hooked on crack and lost it all... now he's a crack fiend... ::: shruggs :::


"Indecision may or may not be my problem." ~ Jimmy Buffett

Deadman_pirate_flag_max50

304 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

TejasTRex said:

It's not just COPS gone bad... Hell, every career has a "gone bad" side. An architect who had his own firm, lots of money awesome house, cars etc... got hooked on crack and lost it all... now he's a crack fiend... ::: shruggs :::

Absolutely, Tejas. I'm just as quick to remind others of that as I am to admit that bad cops do exist. I just take it a little more personally when one of my own crosses the line than I do when John Q commits the same crime.

M_ecdbc17245387b1b8aacef6197d23d4b_max50

622 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

The worst thing in the world is getting dispatched to a call where the actor is a cop......I prayed I'd never get this call. Mine was a Constable threatening suicide, arrived on scene like a cat over water....high alert. Weapon was secured, no problems until I gave an ultimatum...go with church members on scene to get help or go with me, brief fight to the ground, handcuffed and called me everything but a white boy. Trip to jail for Disorderly Conduct due to Suicide threats being alcohol induced, and denied. That Constables agency supplied help and support upon release......this could have gotten really ugly. Maybe not the correct thread for this post, but a cop gone bad once I was grabbed....big no-no putting your hands on me, cop or not !

Avatar_max160_max160_max50

2600 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

BuzzKill said:

I had two partners on patrol who were molesting their own daughters. Not only did we line up for the chance to let them know just how disgusted WE were, one of them was later stabbed in prison. I hate to sound cold, but I really don't care how bad they have it. Once you find yourself "on the take", molesting a child, abusing your power, etc, etc, then you're dead to me.

Well said.


Hello my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

"It's not a constitutional violation for a police officer to be a jerk." Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy -December 4, 2000

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Well it does sadden me when I here in the news that an officer is wanted for something or another like the story of the cop who shot the delivery guys in his home . But then scares me for what training some have had. They have lost so much for the choices they made !!

Vt_max50

136 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I guess to some people the oath means nothing.

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

That is sad for real you guys call each other brothers and sisters and protect that way so I could see that hurting in a bad way

Landscape_avatar_0015_www

510 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

angelbaby68 said:

Is it as bad as they say for officers who go bad and get arrested ??? Not that I wish that happens to anybody , I always feel sorry for the ones who act before they think they have so much to lose. But I have heard alot of different stories about what happens when an officer is arrested. I really don't know what to believe because most of what I have heard were from non Leo's .

I'm not sure I understand what the topic of discussion is here. Are you asking if the punishment is worse for officers who commit crime or are you asking if it is more difficult on officers to arrest an officer they know? And what stories have you heard?

2004_0304macandanna0005_max50

71 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

We have one of our own getting ready to go to trail soon. It really leaves you with some mixed feelings. He was my friend as much as a fellow officer. It hurts to see him fall but I came to realize in short order that he let everyone down. His actions put a little tarnish on the badge in the eyes of our local citizens. I felt a little funny looking folks in the eye for a few days. It was in the paper everyday for all they could milk out of it. I even had a few people ask what was going on with him. This was the first time I had ever gone through this but I will be better for it and have even that much more respect for my brothers and sisters that continue to make a difference by doing what's right.

Piper_icon_max50

155 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Cops (or anyone else) don't "go" bad - they are bad to begin with. Maybe it takes that "perfect" opportunity for it to show, but nobody just wakes up and is suddenly struck by a sense of *oh-wow-I-just-turned-dirty*. Nope. You are either good or bad. Only the situation changes, not the person. If you "go" bad, it's only a different way of saying you got caught for what you really were all along.

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

cwtlady4LE said:


angelbaby68 said:


Is it as bad as they say for officers who go bad and get arrested ??? Not that I wish that happens to anybody , I always feel sorry for the ones who act before they think they have so much to lose. But I have heard alot of different stories about what happens when an officer is arrested. I really don't know what to believe because most of what I have heard were from non Leo's .


I'm not sure I understand what the topic of discussion is here. Are you asking if the punishment is worse for officers who commit crime or are you asking if it is more difficult on officers to arrest an officer they know? And what stories have you heard?


I heard they get their own cells and away f4rom general population and yes how hard is it to arrive on a call that is one of your own and what goes through your gut other than innocent until proven guilty ??

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

A note from me personally I appriciate all that all of you put on the line for me and my family because I relize you all are human to with families just the same and so I say Thank You and God Bless You All

1979_max50

3270 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

The civilian population seems to forget that in almost all cases we are the ones that discover and arrest the dirty officer. We have no use for any officer who dishonors the badge and our family. Sometimes we may even have to wait until we see the evidence before we find him guilty but most times we know right away and immediately turn on him/her. We treat them with much more contempt than other people. We discovered an Officer that came on with me and I even roomed with during some training at the FBI Academy was stealing clothing from a store during his part-time job. We got hints of it and watched him and arrested him. When he saw me in the hall he started to say he was sorry but I simply spit in his face and dared him to do something about it. A bad cop cuts us all to the quick.
Now by the same token do not always believe the press because they love to publish "Ex-cop" or "Former cop" arrested and you find out later that he was a cop for 2 weeks 10 years ago. or something like that.

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Robo that makes total sense I'm sorry you all have to even go to calls like that

10news_rectangle1017510_max50

187 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

There are bad apples everywhere folks...even in law enforcement

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

deskwared said:

Cops (or anyone else) don't "go" bad - they are bad to begin with. Maybe it takes that "perfect" opportunity for it to show, but nobody just wakes up and is suddenly struck by a sense of *oh-wow-I-just-turned-dirty*. Nope. You are either good or bad. Only the situation changes, not the person. If you "go" bad, it's only a different way of saying you got caught for what you really were all along.

I disagree. I have saw cops go bad....Excellent officers they were. I could give names and/or examples but this is a public forum..... This thread said "go bad." Well, the problem is that is too vague. One could say why did the cop get arrested for DUI, drugs problems and the like. To say cops go bad in general terms is demeaning to all of us.

1979_max50

3270 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Angelbaby, you don't really get calls being dispatched about 'bad cops'.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Animal_Trainer said:

There are bad apples everywhere folks...even in law enforcement

this is true... WHat is a bad apple though? I think a bad apple is a cop that thinks he is solving the crime of the world by writing minor traffic tickets all the time instead of fighting crimes against persons or property.

THis ticket statement isnt meant for taffic cops that are assigned to perform this job. ODIN, touched on this subject before when he said about DUI cops. If you are assigned great, if not whos minding the store?

1979_max50

3270 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Well thanks for that SgtDarryl, I think? I worked the streets for I guess 13/14 years before I went into traffic full time. I did write lots of tickets but they were for people that really needed them like a slap up side the head to get their attention before they killed someone or themselves. I also really got involved in actually investigating MV crashes to make sure the right person took the blame and maybe figure out something that would prevent this from happening again. I didn't think I would enjoy crashes or traffic enforcement as I thought it boring and not worth much except as a reason to stop someone I thought was doing something else. I was wrong, very wrong. I ended up loving traffic and if given my way I would have remained there until retirement. It really is important. Still, working traffic also allowed me to roam the entire city and jump on some great calls!

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Robocop33 said:

Well thanks for that SgtDarryl, I think? I worked the streets for I guess 13/14 years before I went into traffic full time. I did write lots of tickets but they were for people that really needed them like a slap up side the head to get their attention before they killed someone or themselves. I also really got involved in actually investigating MV crashes to make sure the right person took the blame and maybe figure out something that would prevent this from happening again. I didn't think I would enjoy crashes or traffic enforcement as I thought it boring and not worth much except as a reason to stop someone I thought was doing something else. I was wrong, very wrong. I ended up loving traffic and if given my way I would have remained there until retirement. It really is important. Still, working traffic also allowed me to roam the entire city and jump on some great calls!

Good. You are different. I think you know the type I am talking about. WHy did I say this? B/c you said u jumped on great calls.... that shows u are not a number crusher. There is just too much crime to be focusing on 40 in a 35mph zone. I have wrote more tickets than I care to remember. Hell, I was told before to write more and I was writing more than just about anyone......when I worked for a small city.

9-11-logo_max50

1075 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think it IS possible for good cops to "go bad."

Take someone with high ideals to begin with. Put him in a pressure-cooker of a career, one that subjects him to way more human stupidity, cruelty, dishonesty, and mortality than his emotional/spiritual framework knows what to do with. As he's getting into that life, let his non-LEO relationships dry up. Let his family life start to struggle. Let him take on second fronts and spend more and more time away from home. Let him lose contact with the other non-LE things that used to give his life meaning-- church, hobbies, sports, music, whatever. Let him see colleagues hurt on duty, even killed, and let him get an us/them mentality about the public he once idealistically wanted to help. Let his spouse finally have enough and leave him. Let him start drinking too much. Let the folks around him tell him to cowboy up, it's weak to ask for help or go to counseling or anything like that. Let his life get reduced to one thing: his work. And then let work betray him-- pass him up for a promotion he deserved, give someone else credit for something he did, or blame him for something he didn't do. He's put all his eggs in that one basket, then the basket gets knocked out of his hands.

But his support systems have long ago withered away. His spiritual life hasn't been able to bear the realities he lives with day in and day out. The family, friends, and activities that used to remind him who he was and what his values were are gone. And he has become angry and feels betrayed by the folks outside LE who are all morons and AdamHenrys and also by the folks inside LE who have done him dirty. And he says to himself, "So THIS is how they play the game! Well, I'll show them!" And then he begins a downward slide.

I'm not kidding. This happens to good people.

3734983337_1__max50

4241 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

officers who go bad is like people who go gay, i have seen this condition before, some people are predisposed to walk off the right path. most officers go through the same pressures but some just give up and those are the ones i think were going to go that way but were wating for the right spark.

Bears_pix_135_max50

310 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Other officers do have to do the arresting of a fellow officer if they have to , My thing is the officers that worked with that officer and knew this officer whether it was a partner , friend , or just a co-worker , the emotion I would think would be stronger than the drunk you arrested for driving so he wouldn't kill himself or anyone else .

Dscn1049_max50

145 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I have had fellow Officers and my Major go to prison... I had to fingerprint my Major when he was arrested by the FBI and US Marshals... they all served federal prison time. Unfortunatly these things happen, and I hate to see a fellow LEO go to jail/ prison. Corrupt activity will always be present in all aspects of our civilization, and it has no boundries.

Photo_user_banned_big

445 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

In the town I grew up in my sister was working for the Police as a records clerk. During the time she was there a group of police held the biggest bank heist in the history of I guess that town. There was a documentary on the History Channel about it. They got involved in drug dealing, stealing off the community (tvs, furniture...). She didn't know it was going on. One of the Officers who's brother was probably the worst (committed murder I think over drugs and money), called my sister to watch the documentary and he also didn't know it was going on at the time. This happened around the late 1970 early 80s. I think it's more shocking when the police do things like that because they're someone you have trust in.


In like manner the spirit also joins in with help for our weakness, for the problem of what we should pray for as we need to we do not know but the spirit itself pleads for us with groanings uttered.

No man serving as a soldier involves himself in the commercial businesses of life, in order that he may gain the approval of the one who enrolled him as a soldier. 5. Moreover, if anyone conten

Mvc-020s_max50

179 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I really don't think this question should fall under the "officer or public official or public service" title. Everyone is a person first. I think that irreguardless of a person's profession, if they are going to go bad, it really doesn't matter what their profession is. LEO and Support Services are always in the lime light and makes for a news scoop when it is someone in the public eye all the time. Now, as a LEO or SS, you are supposed to now better and set the example because people are supposed to trust you to do the right thing. There will always be the human element to deal with in the decision making process. Shame on those who cross that line.