General Forums >> General Discussions >> Arrested for "Driving While Sleepy"

Rate

Arrested for "Driving While Sleepy"

717 Views
21 Replies Flag as inappropriate
Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top

Posted about 7 years ago

 

TN lawmakers are attempting to pass a law that says someone can be charged for "driving while sleepy". Do 3rd shift cops drive sleepy. I did but, when I was about to dose off, i pulled over. Is this a law to make?

Lake_front_max50

1064 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl said:

TN lawmakers are attempting to pass a law that says someone can be charged for "driving while sleepy". Do 3rd shift cops drive sleepy. I did but, when I was about to dose off, i pulled over. Is this a law to make?

Truck drivers ,,sleepy truck drivers are a BIG hazard....and log book "fixin" is common....altho they are required to only drive so many hours before they sleep,,,alot of them don't...is this the target for the law they are trying to pass?

Lobo_rip2_max50

511 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I know I have almost fallen asleep several times while driving between Memphis and Jackson, TN. I used to drive it every day. I saw numerous "close calls" when it came to the truckers as well. The worst are the trips I used to make driving from TN to Southern Cali. It was a two day trip for me. Lots of no-dose.

100_1981_3__max50

1960 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE SFST FOR THIS ONE!!!!


"It would be better for one to have a stone tied around their neck and thrown into the sea, than to cause a child to stumble."

"Well-behaved women rarely make history"

Lobo_rip2_max50

511 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

They have already said that driving sleepy is just like driving while intoxicated. The incoherence, muscle reflexes, etc.

063_max50

642 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think it is a good law. A sleepy person can cause an accident just like a DUI, injuring or killing himself or others. I know when this happens to me, I find a safe place and stop and take a catnap. I did this one time, pulling into a shopping center, away from the general parking area, and was awakened by an police officer along with EMT's banging on the windows. A little embarrasing. Another time, I pulled into a picnic area on a highway that was closed after dark. A trooper came in and woke me. I told him I would rather get a summons for trespassing then have an accident. He agreed, but didn't write me. You would think that people would have a little common sense. If you're drowsy, pull over in a safe place. This is one reason I hate the thought of police officers working shift work. 2 weeks days, 2 weeks swings etc. You're body can never adjust. Be safe everyone.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

babeblu said:


DetSgtDarryl said:


TN lawmakers are attempting to pass a law that says someone can be charged for "driving while sleepy". Do 3rd shift cops drive sleepy. I did but, when I was about to dose off, i pulled over. Is this a law to make?


Truck drivers ,,sleepy truck drivers are a BIG hazard....and log book "fixin" is common....altho they are required to only drive so many hours before they sleep,,,alot of them don't...is this the target for the law they are trying to pass?


I dont think so. From what I read from the Article out of the TN District Attorney Newsletter. They are targeting anyone. If you are sleepy, wreck and hurt someone. Jail you go. I get the article monday and copy and paste it in here.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

LCarvin said:

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE SFST FOR THIS ONE!!!!

me neither. LOL

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Flipper_831 said:

They have already said that driving sleepy is just like driving while intoxicated. The incoherence, muscle reflexes, etc.

The article refers to what you said.

Vt_max50

136 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

They can do sobriety tests, but how can they test how sleepy you are? How sleepy is too sleepy?

Lake_front_max50

1064 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

OCSDVT said:

They can do sobriety tests, but how can they test how sleepy you are? How sleepy is too sleepy?

hummmm I was wondering the same thing.....I'm guessing this is going to result in alot of court time.....isn't it,,, proven guilty?,,,
how is going to work "proving someone was sleepy"..?

063_max50

642 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

OCSDVT said:

They can do sobriety tests, but how can they test how sleepy you are? How sleepy is too sleepy?

If someone is stopped for weaving, they will no doubt say, No I haven't been drinking, I'm just sleepy. There ya' go. Sign here please.

Lake_front_max50

1064 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

jims4 said:


OCSDVT said:


They can do sobriety tests, but how can they test how sleepy you are? How sleepy is too sleepy?


If someone is stopped for weaving, they will no doubt say, No I haven't been drinking, I'm just sleepy. There ya' go. Sign here please.


ahhhh....got ya.....thats the ticket..!! lol ....thanks. (scratch head,,,get more coffee...)
..but then doesn't it become a he said/ she said ???....... for the officer to "prove" they said they were sleepy...?..curious as to how that would work.....?

Lobo_rip2_max50

511 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

If they are tryly that tired, they are pulled over for suspicion of DUI, it becomes clear that they are not under the influence, ??? I'm guessing it comes back to the slowed motor skills, Field Sobriety for sleep deprivation. Only kicker, I know that if I were to get too sleepy then get pulled over, I'd be WIDE AWAKE then.

Vt_max50

136 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

haha I agree Flipper. Once you see those blues in your rear view, you're awake and alert. Unless of course your DUI and have no idea what's going on.

Signstrict_max50

28 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think it would be a great law. As others have mentioned there are truck drivers that "fudge" on their books. Also, there are many people that seam to lack common sense. I cannot count the times I have had officers knock on my window because I pulled over from being tired on a cross country trip. That just tells me how rare it is that a passenger vehicle pulls into rest areas or gas stations to rest up.
I think it would be easy to prove. Either they were drunk or sleepy. But I can just imagine a person claiming they were not sleepy or drunk....just that they were not paying attention and reaching for something. lol

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Flipper_831 said:

If they are tryly that tired, they are pulled over for suspicion of DUI, it becomes clear that they are not under the influence, ??? I'm guessing it comes back to the slowed motor skills, Field Sobriety for sleep deprivation. Only kicker, I know that if I were to get too sleepy then get pulled over, I'd be WIDE AWAKE then.

Most people do!!!! LOL

Death_max50

1275 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Proof is going to be the issue. SFST won't work and there's no chemical/blood test for fatigue. It's going to come down to admission. It might suffice, if you're going to charge, to charge reckless for the driving behavior. DWI is going to be a stretch. My opinion.

Eagle_edited_max50

77 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Driving while sleepy is already covered by the DUI laws, they are driving under the influence of lack of sleep. It may sound silly, but we have had cases go to court and get convictions for lack of sleep under the DUI laws. DUI covers anything operating a motor vehicle under any imparment which causes the driver to be a danger to himself and others on the road.

Eagle_edited_max50

77 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

babeblu said:


jims4 said:



OCSDVT said:


They can do sobriety tests, but how can they test how sleepy you are? How sleepy is too sleepy?


If someone is stopped for weaving, they will no doubt say, No I haven't been drinking, I'm just sleepy. There ya' go. Sign here please.



ahhhh....got ya.....thats the ticket..!! lol ....thanks. (scratch head,,,get more coffee...)
..but then doesn't it become a he said/ she said ???....... for the officer to "prove" they said they were sleepy...?..curious as to how that would work.....?


I don't know about your department, but we got these new digital recording devices in our cars that record vedio and noise, if the person tells you they have not been drinking and just tired, then sign here and in court when they denie it just hit play on your CD player and play back the recording of the stop. Then look at them and say "heres your sign" LoL

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Edrick said:

Driving while sleepy is already covered by the DUI laws, they are driving under the influence of lack of sleep. It may sound silly, but we have had cases go to court and get convictions for lack of sleep under the DUI laws. DUI covers anything operating a motor vehicle under any imparment which causes the driver to be a danger to himself and others on the road.

TN doesnt cover any impairment....just alcohol and drugs