General Forums >> General Discussions >> To be tased

Rate

To be tased

694 Views
35 Replies Flag as inappropriate
K9_smile_max50

632 posts

back to top

Posted about 7 years ago

 

Should you have to tased tocarry a taser? There was some people talking about this and they agreed on being sprayed with OC but not being tased. How do you all feel about this?

050728-batman0_max50

141 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think it is good to "Ride the Lightning" We do not require it, but nearly all take the ride. It gets your Mojo going really good!


"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts" Sherlock Homles

Dscn1049_max50

145 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

It's a great feeling, actually after I was tazed I felt relaxed... it still hurt like h@# though. I do agree that if you are going to carry a tazer then you should know exactley how it will effect a person. Watching movies and reading books will teach you things but there is nothing better than good old first hand knowledge.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Rcbaron said:

It's a great feeling, actually after I was tazed I felt relaxed... it still hurt like h@# though. I do agree that if you are going to carry a tazer then you should know exactley how it will effect a person. Watching movies and reading books will teach you things but there is nothing better than good old first hand knowledge.

Why, serious, I have never been shot with my duty wepon to be able to carry it. Ive never been forced to drive over spike stripes. I never have been put in jail to see how it feels. I think it is ridiculous. I got sprayed with oc to carry it and didnt see the point. My department has tasers and I refuse to be shot with it, so I dont have one issued. It is stupid. If my opinion offends u I am sorry.

Jman_1_max50

25 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I'm nervous about getting sprayed and tazed, but if that's what they want me to do I'll do it. If it gets me somethin else to protect myself and others I'm willing to take it. It'll suck but it's a one time thing, not an everyday occurance. I don't see the point of knowing how it feels though because you'll use it if you need it whether or not you've had it done to you.

Police_car_max50

88 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I had to get Tased to carry. It was not that bad once it was all said and done. I would prefer to be tased because if someone was to happen to get their hands on mine or some civilian that has one threatens me with it I feel that it would be easier to articulate to a jury why I killed that man rather than be tased by that man.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

lawman07 said:

I had to get Tased to carry. It was not that bad once it was all said and done. I would prefer to be tased because if someone was to happen to get their hands on mine or some civilian that has one threatens me with it I feel that it would be easier to articulate to a jury why I killed that man rather than be tased by that man.

good point, but.....still if u shot someone, a trained Tazer professional and a expert on deadly force should be on your witness list.

Police-19_max50

1827 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I wish we could carry tazers I think they are a great tool but we are not allowed to carry them. We are not even authorized to carry a baton. Our use of force continum is very limited.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Tx_LawMan said:

I wish we could carry tazers I think they are a great tool but we are not allowed to carry them. We are not even authorized to carry a baton. Our use of force continum is very limited.

what fists then gun? No disrespect intented.

Police-19_max50

1827 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl said:


Tx_LawMan said:


I wish we could carry tazers I think they are a great tool but we are not allowed to carry them. We are not even authorized to carry a baton. Our use of force continum is very limited.


what fists then gun? No disrespect intented.


Oh we are allowed to carry OC foam .


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Shedevil2_max50

2111 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

WE HAD TO ............i didn't get tazed , kind of figured i didn't have to get shot with my smith or sig to carry them didn't make much sense to me . ( i'm old school and boy do i know a lot of tactics without that )......so no , i don't carry one


...don't play with me , i'll keep you way up after your bedtime.....

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

val said:

WE HAD TO ............i didn't get tazed , kind of figured i didn't have to get shot with my smith or sig to carry them didn't make much sense to me . ( i'm old school and boy do i know a lot of tactics without that )......so no , i don't carry one

thats what i said

Sspx0014_max50

737 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I wish we could carry tazers as well...our city attorney put a stop to them with our council.....her arguement was we might use them and then get sued.

1979_max50

3273 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I have to agree with Darryl and Val. I don't need to get zapped to appreciate how it works. Now with OC, I can kind of see the point because when you use it, or anyone uses it, everyone gets a bit of a taste and should know how they react to it. I found out quickly that mace, we didn't have OC in common use, worked very well on me but not so well on the bad guys. Therefore, I did not use it.

Photo_user_banned_big

1386 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

dinohall31 said:

I wish we could carry tazers as well...our city attorney put a stop to them with our council.....her arguement was we might use them and then get sued.

well of course you would use them.... duh? what was they thinking.

Sspx0014_max50

737 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think thats the problem they dont think....commen sense is not something they have ever been accused of having!

Dscn1049_max50

145 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl said:


Rcbaron said:


It's a great feeling, actually after I was tazed I felt relaxed... it still hurt like h@# though. I do agree that if you are going to carry a tazer then you should know exactley how it will effect a person. Watching movies and reading books will teach you things but there is nothing better than good old first hand knowledge.


Why, serious, I have never been shot with my duty wepon to be able to carry it. Ive never been forced to drive over spike stripes. I never have been put in jail to see how it feels. I think it is ridiculous. I got sprayed with oc to carry it and didnt see the point. My department has tasers and I refuse to be shot with it, so I dont have one issued. It is stupid. If my opinion offends u I am sorry.


You didn't offend me... I see your point.

Shedevil2_max50

2111 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl said:


val said:


WE HAD TO ............i didn't get tazed , kind of figured i didn't have to get shot with my smith or sig to carry them didn't make much sense to me . ( i'm old school and boy do i know a lot of tactics without that )......so no , i don't carry one


thats what i said


oh sorry i am an original , i didn't read your post . how about this.........didn't have to have a bullet in my head to know which to carry in my weapon..........i did say weapon , darryl..........


...don't play with me , i'll keep you way up after your bedtime.....

Death_max50

1275 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl said:


Rcbaron said:


It's a great feeling, actually after I was tazed I felt relaxed... it still hurt like h@# though. I do agree that if you are going to carry a tazer then you should know exactley how it will effect a person. Watching movies and reading books will teach you things but there is nothing better than good old first hand knowledge.


Why, serious, I have never been shot with my duty wepon to be able to carry it. Ive never been forced to drive over spike stripes. I never have been put in jail to see how it feels. I think it is ridiculous. I got sprayed with oc to carry it and didnt see the point. My department has tasers and I refuse to be shot with it, so I dont have one issued. It is stupid. If my opinion offends u I am sorry.


I'm not sure I'm old enough, or been on long enough, to be considered "old school". But I've got to agree with DetSgt and Val on this one. I don't see the purpose of being tazed. I'm reasonably intelligent and can see it obviously works and is unpleasant.

Mr

89 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

sure, i believe if you are going to carry a taser, you should get tazed. i lets you know what the suspects is going through. also, i would see it as less of a liability if the officers were tazed as well. let me tell you, getting tazed...its well....ELECTRIFYING

K9_smile_max50

632 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I can see the point of being sprayed with OC. I can not see the point of being Tased. Yes very good tool to have. There are so many deaths that are in the news that are from Tasers. I am starting to question them. There are to many reports in less then one year. Also I feel the same way that DetSgDarryl feels about being Tased. I am not saying Tasers are bad so please do not take it that way. I just think they need to find out more on why there are so many reports of death due to the tasers.

Lambert_max50

435 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I don't believe that there has been one death caused solely by the Taser. People have died that had pre-existing health conditions or have been under the influence of drugs. At least that's what Taser maintains. I don't think that it should be required, in fact, Taser International only requires Master Instructors to be exposed. I didn't get the darts when I took the course, but about 25 other instructors in front of me did. I got the point; it sucks. The drive-stun is no picnic. I'll probably volunteer for exposure at recert, if I still have a healthy heart.


Go practice falling down, I'll be there in a minute

Vt_max50

136 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I think officers should be required to be sprayed by the OC in order to carry it. I think it should be an option to officers to be tased.

And if someone's REALLY sick, they can ask to be shot with a glock. Just to see what it feels like.

People are crazy.

Dscn1049_max50

145 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

DetSgtDarryl... I do agree that it should be an option. But if you are going to use a non lethal weapon against someone you whould know what the effects are. How a person reacts to it, and how a person can overcome it... the comment about getting shot is just a smart a*@ comment. besides who are you going to taze anyway sitting at your desk?

Photo_user_blank_big

12 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

Rcbaron said:

DetSgtDarryl... I do agree that it should be an option. But if you are going to use a non lethal weapon against someone you whould know what the effects are. How a person reacts to it, and how a person can overcome it... the comment about getting shot is just a smart a*@ comment. besides who are you going to taze anyway sitting at your desk?

Agreed. I'm a Jailer and volunteered to be tased just for shits and giggles. It's not all that bad but the sucker packs a punch. I wasn't so worried about the pain, mainly worried that I'd crap/urinate myself in front of 70 spectators. I'd much rather be tased than hit with the OC Spray again. Tasers are temporary, OC likes to linger and people sometime forget to wash their hands before going to the bathroom after they get hit.
...
I personally feel tasers are a wonderful tool anyone in Corrections & Law Enforcement could ask for. OC Spray in a confined space (like a jail) is bad news for everyone, Tasers on the other hand - Game on. I have yet to actually hit an inmate with a 5 second ride because usually just pulling the trigger with the cartridge off straightens out most problems.
...
It's saved my ass from having to go hands on at least a dozen times this year. If you want to carry it - take a 5 second ride. You will learn a whole new level of respect for your equipment and will never doubt it in the field.

Death_max50

1275 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

forza said:


Rcbaron said:


DetSgtDarryl... I do agree that it should be an option. But if you are going to use a non lethal weapon against someone you whould know what the effects are. How a person reacts to it, and how a person can overcome it... the comment about getting shot is just a smart a*@ comment. besides who are you going to taze anyway sitting at your desk?


Agreed. I'm a Jailer and volunteered to be tased just for shits and giggles. It's not all that bad but the sucker packs a punch. I wasn't so worried about the pain, mainly worried that I'd crap/urinate myself in front of 70 spectators. I'd much rather be tased than hit with the OC Spray again. Tasers are temporary, OC likes to linger and people sometime forget to wash their hands before going to the bathroom after they get hit.
...
I personally feel tasers are a wonderful tool anyone in Corrections & Law Enforcement could ask for. OC Spray in a confined space (like a jail) is bad news for everyone, Tasers on the other hand - Game on. I have yet to actually hit an inmate with a 5 second ride because usually just pulling the trigger with the cartridge off straightens out most problems.
...
It's saved my ass from having to go hands on at least a dozen times this year. If you want to carry it - take a 5 second ride. You will learn a whole new level of respect for your equipment and will never doubt it in the field.


When I worked patrol, I carried OC. I didn't have to be sprayed to know that it is unpleasant, experience and training taught me that it is effective (but not always). I carried a baton. I've never been whacked with a baton, physics would lead me to believe that it is unpleasant. I carried a knife for "last ditch effort". I've never been stabbed, but I reasonably believed it would be unpleasant. I carried a duty weapon and sometimes a back-up weapon. Never been shot, I reasonably believe it is effective. I also carried a Tazer. Never been shocked, but being reasonably intelligent I can see that it is unpleasant and effective. I don't have to have my equipment used on me to tell that it is effective and unpleasant. Each individual you encounter will be different, what will work on one may not work on another. Each of the aforementioned tools do not work on all people all the time due to a wide variety of reasons that you could not possibly cover in a training scenario. What you learn about using the tool on yourself is how it works on YOU. You want to "ride the lightening", get sprayed, get struck, or get shot, that's on you.

9-11-logo_max50

1075 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

I wonder if requiring Taser-qualified officers to be tased gives them a little additional protection in court? If someone tried to claim that the officer is too quick to tase someone, it seems like he or she MIGHT have a little more credibility having gone through it.

But that's spin doctor talk.

Once I had the opportunity to try it and chose not to. Since carrying one is not an option for me, I didn't have much motive to ride the lightning-- my curiosity is not THAT strong!

Death_max50

1275 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

ChaplainKeppy said:

I wonder if requiring Taser-qualified officers to be tased gives them a little additional protection in court? If someone tried to claim that the officer is too quick to tase someone, it seems like he or she MIGHT have a little more credibility having gone through it.

But that's spin doctor talk.

Once I had the opportunity to try it and chose not to. Since carrying one is not an option for me, I didn't have much motive to ride the lightning-- my curiosity is not THAT strong!

I'm not an attorney.(and I dont play one on TV). I've never encountered a case in court where an officer's credibility rested on whether or not he'd had any weapon, lethal or non-lethal, used on him. It is required that an officers' use of force be reasonable. The reasonableness of the response is weighed by the given facts and circumstances and the officer's training and experience. Having been tazed, it would not exempt an officer/deputy from using the weapon in any situation where it was not deemed reasonable. For example, knowing the injury is not severe or long lasting would probably not help an incident of, say, tazing an eight year old unarmed child who's using threatening language.

Jeff_lewis_max50

6 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

WE START CLASS ON THE 10TH OF SEPT. I AM GOING TO GET TASED,GUESS I NEED MY HEAD EXAMINED.

Death_max50

1275 posts

back to top
Rate

Rate This | Posted about 7 years ago

 

OCEAN1 said:

WE START CLASS ON THE 10TH OF SEPT. I AM GOING TO GET TASED,GUESS I NEED MY HEAD EXAMINED.

Bring a light bulb with you and see if you can pull an "Uncle Fester!" ;)

Next Page >