Police Fitness >> Browse Articles >> Nutrition

Losing Weight by Eating Right

Stew Smith, CSCS

Hello Stew, thanks for your service and your continued support of the military, police and their families in fitness and health. I am trying to lose weight and thought I’d try something that would eliminate carbohydrates from my diet for a while? What do you think of that as a weight loss idea?

Just as a rule – never eliminate the macro-nutrients your body needs such as protein, carbs, or fat from your diet. There are many diets out there that play around with these critical components of our nutrition. HOWEVER, you can definitely LIMIT them in order to see outstanding results. Of course you would want to accompany your eating plan with an exercise routine that had cardio-vascular and resistance training.

BUT – For a challenging test, try to ELIMINATE sugar. This is anything with cane sugar in it. For a short list it means soda, sweet tea / coffee, cake, cookies, and even white bread. Only eat multi-grain bread. You can consume your carbs from fruits and vegetables either before or after a workout. If you are having trouble losing that final 5-10 lbs, once you have eliminated sugar, you will see that final extra 5-10 lbs of fat / water retention around off your belly button area if you are a man and off your hips if you are a woman.

For instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning when I wake up. I eat a banana and go do a variety of exercises that include running, swimming, weights, and calisthenics. Some days if I do just a cardio workout, I will skip the banana and wait to eat after the workout. After the workout, I eat a high protein breakfast with fruits to replace lost carbs and drink water as well. For the rest of the morning, I snack on peanuts, almonds, a fiber rich nutrition bar (no sugar) but only a few carbs and more water.

For lunch I eat a big salad with a large protein source again like tuna or chicken. The salad is filled with high fiber carbs like broccoli, green leafy lettuce like romaine, onions, almonds, maybe even some strawberries to top it off. Squirt some lemon juice or a balsamic vinegar type dressing for some added flavor and good fats.

After lunch, I do not eat any more carbs during the day except those that come in peanuts, almonds, and other nuts for snacks. At this point, my body will still have enough carbs to function properly for the rest of the day. However, if you workout in the evening, you may want to add a few pieces of fruit or vegetables prior to exercise longer than 30 minutes.

During dinner, I have a small salad with large source of protein again. And, if I get hungry during the after dinner hours, I drink more water and have some peanuts, almonds or left over chicken to fill any late evening hunger needs.

This has worked for me to get rid of that last few extra pounds being carried around the mid-section, however dropping sugar is difficult for 2-3 days. After that it is really easy to skip the sweets and white breads. So good luck with the last few pounds and remember to mix in any weight loss plan with a solid fitness routine as many people find that by just adding fitness into their world on a daily basis, they do not have to alter much of their diet. By dropping sugar you will save money, lose extra weight, and make your dentist happy.

ssgt119

a

guarddog45

What kind of healthy snacks can you rec. for those of us allergic to nuts & shellfish? I can no longer curb my appetite with peanuts, almonds or even granola bars because so many of them have those ingreds. in them. I love fruit & veggies, but get kinda tired of the same ol dried fruits(cranberries,apricots,plums). I like your idea about the salads though...will try more of those with canned salmon, tuna & chicken.
    Also, wondering why I feel so drained of energy whenever I excercise? I try to do it during the early am but then feel like I need to go back to bed(not possible) or if I do it at night, I'm in a dead sleep. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! GuardDog45

• 200708091404_095_max50

bmurp2

Keep healthy snacks with you....almonds, cut up fruit or granola. When you get hungry or the urge to splurge at a fast food joint...drink a bottle of water. It will at least fill you up so you might second guess "SuperSizing" that meal.

Excellant advice but sometimes easier said than done with cops on a fast food diet

• Cimiotta_max50

soldierboy86

I agree

• Img00015-20101105-1530_max50

thev8man

It a lot easyier for some on in shape, but can be done by all. Great program

• Amanda_southpark_max50

PoPoLove

A good way to stop eating sugar is to focus on during it during weekdays and then on the weekends, eat normally. If you can do it for five days a week, you'll see it isn't SO hard and how much better you feel and look, that you'll WANT to make the no-sugar move to seven days a week.

• 185_max50

q2theheart

Im currently in the police academy and I would love to loose some weight (which I will). Ill give this a try.

• 182914_max50

Guardme2

All the good advice and tips are here.
    Very good article.
    People just need the motivation and will power..

• Scott_dillon_uniform_max50

byebyejailbird

This sounds like it may work. Lets all try it!!!

• Dsc01102_max50

NatalieR429

if it was only so easy to eat right....for people who do Im sure they say it is. For me not so much.

lbrockmann received the quiz result of "You passed, but just barely", about 1 hour ago.
jdmom01 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", about 2 hours ago.
Duke79 commented on: Sbonin's photo: "image", about 3 hours ago.
thegig uploaded the photo: "1170820_197036647132412_1072306404_n", about 4 hours ago.
thegig uploaded the photo: "1512457_682275185191768_7356156150832945624_n", about 4 hours ago.