Police Fitness >> Browse Articles >> Fitness / Wellness

Running and Your Heart Rate: What You Need to Know

Stew Smith, CSCS

Here is a great question from a sailor seeking to better his PFT run time and has gathered extra information about training with heart rate monitor training.

How much emphasis should I put on target heart rate while training for the PRT run? The Navy PRT web page says the target heart rate for my age group (25 years) is 117-146bpm, with a max HR of 195. I’m working on faster run times, which means I’m pacing faster and really pushing myself. I don’t own a HR monitor, but the treadmill I used today indicated that I quickly worked my HR up to a pretty steady 172 BPM. I was physically comfortable with that, but is this a problem, or is this what to expect when pushing yourself to a new level? I tried staying in the “target zone,” but that was just way too slow.

All I’m trying to do is get faster, not lose weight, so what’s the use of a target heart rate in PRT training?

Training using a heart rate monitor can offer immediate feedback and give you an indication of effort, but if you workout enough you know when you are at your peak exertion levels. I have used and still use my Polar Heart Rate monitor infrequently especially when I start a new phase of my workout. When I change my routine and lift harder or do distance running instead of speed work. I like to gauge where my heart rate is when I reach muscle failure or a comfortable running pace. Where I personally get the most use is observing my recovery time from near max heart rate to 40-50%. This is a good way to gauge if you are getting more fit with your routine. If your recovery time decreases with PFT type exercises you are getting in better shape.

To answer your question, no you really do not need to adhere to the 117-146bpm zone for your PRT training. If you are training for ace the PT and the run, you will need to build speed through interval and faster pace training. Typically the heart rate zone you see on the cardio machines are target zones for you to optimally burn fat (staying aerobic) and not pushing the envelope of increasing your PRT scores. Now, if you can run faster at your PRT goal pace and have your heart rate in the aerobic target zone, that is impressive! This is how champion marathon runners can hit 5 minute miles for 26 miles! This takes hardcore conditioning training and that that level a heart rate monitor is almost essential to improving performance.

At the National Strength and Conditioning Association the Tactical Strength and Conditioning component utilizes the information obtained from heart rate monitors when worn by Special Ops, Police SWAT Team, and Fire Fighters when they perform their job. Heart rate monitors are useful in seeing exertion and adrenaline rushes occur during the performance of their duties. Using this information, you can create workout plans that can better simulate the job experience by adding in short sprints in between sets of weight training or calisthenics for instance. Learning how to recover from the adrenalin rush is helpful in managing stress either on the job or not.

So in a nutshell, heart rate monitors are very useful whether you are a beginner or an advanced athlete or tactical athlete. However, for improvement of running, I would focus on speed and endurance workouts. Check out the article archive for previous running articles to help you.

SupraSneaker

Thank you for writing this and showing us that not only can we improve the visibility (and UGG Boots ) of our current businesses but my wife and I can start UGGS to build some niche sites that can generate some UGG Boot income a few years from now, when we hope to be lolling about on a beach somewhere in South America.

SupraSneaker

Everyone knows the importance of getting other Juicy Couture Bag to link to you and the most common way is for a reciprical link. That is the kind of link that Juicy Bags reciprical tools address. These are great links and should always be sought after buy Juicy Couture Bags.

SupraSneaker

One is for Real Estate Appraisal in Austin and Cheap Gucci Texas, one is for a local granite company and one if for my own Real Estate website.Thank you for writing this – this is exactly the content I have been looking for. I have three sites up and running, each for a regular business (i.e., not just on-line). The Gucci Outlet has been pretty straight forward once I got a clue, but the creation of backlinks has only recently hit up on my Discount Gucci! list.

SupraSneaker

I will try your suggestions. I have been using Google adwords and Yahoo search marketing to advertise Supra Shoes and have found that the keyword traffic is very expensive, but results in actual click-throughs, whereas the content match Supra Footwear can burn through you daily budget with many clicks, but no actual click-throughs. I know there are click-fraud lawsuits pending, but Supra Sneakers seems like something is still not right.

SupraSneaker

Nice post. If you're going to think globally you should also think locally and get listed with Air Jordans and Jordan Shoes, to name a couple. This may not get you more web traffic perse Air Jordan Shoes, but it can generate conversions.

what kinds of food do you eat to stay healthy but not to ruin your ability to keep moving forward and running faster??

ary

What is the best way to learn how to run if you were never a runner before. Also when it involves traing for a agility test.

• 2009_cbr1000rr_2000x1275_blueorangewhitered_42515b_max50

code4

Outstanding information to improve speed and stamina! Good read!

pinkpanther

Im just getting back in the swing of things and im pretty sure that info will help out alot of us who wants to get back in shape or feel better about ourselves by getting in shape.

After having asked doctors, so-called PT experts, and others with knowledge in this area, this is the best and most useful answer I've heard yet. And the older you get, the more important this type of information becomes. Thanks much!

• 4006742807_max600_max600_max50

Elektra

Very good info. I just started running so it was nice to read this!

Good information to "take to heart". :-)

• Ronnie_max50

Rocc

This is a good read for anyone starting to run or whose been runnning for a while.

• Patch2_max50

JAG45

Good info.

Photo_00002_max30
Recondo99 commented on: "william sears", 2 minutes ago.
sfdgfc submitted the article: "Watch Premiere Clemson vs Georgia Live Stream Online", 2 minutes ago.
Nature-desktop_max30
ds81 uploaded the photo: "medicalcaduceus with part of Hippocratic oath below it b...", 15 minutes ago.
Nature-desktop_max30
ds81 uploaded the photo: "painting i made than put it through photoshop", 22 minutes ago.