Police Fitness >> Browse Articles >> Fitness / Wellness

Time to Exercise

Time to Exercise

A little humor from "Today’s Cartoon by Randy Glasbergen", displayed with special permission. Please visit Randy's site @ www.glasbergen.com

Stew Smith CSCS

Do you really not have enough time in your day to exercise? Too many times people say, “I need to exercise but I do not have enough time in the day.” Or, when they do have the time they only have the energy to lie down and watch TV. Whether you are on travel working late hours or at home dealing with work, family, and other after school events, the schedule below or some version of it will help you get over the hump.

Exercise is anything other than sleeping or sitting. Even when you are on the floor flat on your back or stomach you can exercise the torso with abdominal exercise or back other torso exercises. The pushup is a great “laying down” exercise and an abdominal crunch is just a little bit harder than sleeping. An hour a day is a nice goal to achieve to increase your fitness level and overall health, but even 10-15 minutes is better than nothing and beneficial too.

Fitting fitness into a day is a challenge we all face. Exercising is tough after long hours of working at home, office or on the road, but Americans still need to workout as we are creating a generation of people who are obese and have other PREVENTABLE health disorders. Many people who struggle to fit fitness into their schedule actually do a better job at getting the job done IF they take 15-20 minutes prior to starting work for the day and 15-20 minutes after work is done for the day. Even if that exercise is a simple walk before breakfast and after dinner, a 15-20 minute walk at each of these times can significantly help you burn calories that only wind up getting stored as fat. In fact, after any meal, a light walk and some calisthenics will help you to be more energized and ready to do whatever.

Here is a busy day schedule I typically do when long days appear:

0600 – early wake up for get 20-30 minutes of some form of cardio done like running, biking, swimming. If on the road, find a pool in a hotel to really wake up for the day.

0700 – Eat Breakfast for energy for the day. (See Lean Down Food Plan)

0800 – Work

1000 – Work – Eat a snack

1230 – Eat lunch

1:15 – Walk a few minutes

1:30 – Work

4:00 – Work – Eat a snack

6:00 – Break for dinner

7:00 – Walk or Lift weights or PT for second wind of the long day

8:00 – Continue work until midnight if needed

Personally, when I have to work 15-18 hour days, I like to get a cardio workout completed the first thing in the morning. This wakes me up fully and I am ready to handle the day ahead. Then, eat a good breakfast full of protein, carbohydrates, and plenty of water. Then pack a snack for about mid morning like an apple, orange, yogurt or a nutrition bar. This will help you from being a ravenous eater at lunch if eating in a restaurant. For lunch have a green leafy salad with some form of lean meat like chicken or fish or boiled eggs. Then, take a 10-15 minute walk to help keep the metabolism going for the afternoon. Afternoon working is much easier if you lay off the breads, simple sugars and focus on eating protein, complex carbohydrates and fiber rich foods.

After working the rest of the day, break for a medium sized dinner and try to squeeze in a short workout of weights, calisthenics or if you do not have those facilities, just walk again. But, I find a lifting session or PT really gives me the second wind I need to keep working or playing with the family.

I hope these tips will be of use to you as they are common issues seen today. Remember something is better than nothing so at least get out and walk a few times a day. See some of the articles for workout ideas in the Article Archive or the Fitness Ebook Store.

Email me at Stew@stewsmith.com if you have a question about fitting fitness into your life..

liljenjen

A morning workout helps get the blood flowing and the body in gear.

• Th_jan16167_max50

norrisac

These seems very reasonable!!!

• Beckey_bail_enforcement_max50

BigTroubleBrevard

Very helpful. Where do I view the Lean Down Food Plan?

pinguino68

I will love some help, but I am Always afreid to go aut of my hause, in side de hause I have a lot todo, but what I realy need is exercice aut and run whith my dog how I us to do.

• Th_knotsforus_max50

coguzman

Definatly helps to have other regiments so you don't plato, thank you for the article. Be safe.

• Hannah2_sq90_max50

Future_Blue1

AWESOME article! Thanks for it and I'm so going to put it into practice! :)

• Img00015-20101105-1530_max50

thev8man

I believe this work great but there is a big difference when you work on graveyard.
    * In starting you need to eat before your shift, and several times through out the shift as you work shown.
    * Use the foot patrol method a lot more, because the night is more for giving then the day's heat.
    * Have power snacks through out the day: Protein bar, Fruit, Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. something after then candy.
    * While at work try to get in a few sets of push up's and pull up's while in uniform. This will help you a lot more because you have added weight. (Stay out of view of the public)
    * No Junk food

pinguino68

i think that it is greit and personaly I have alot of time but I can made my self get out of my house (Iwhish I could}

pinguino68

• 2012-03-24_12-51-47_281_max50

chris2022

More frequent food intake promotes a more efficient and effective metabolic rate. Keep in mind, the food being taken in at break times does not mean candy or other detrimental foods. Complex carbohydrates and protein yield the highest energy levels and will stay with you longer than simple carbs and salty/sweet things.
    Great article!

teena289

Great reminder! exercise does not need to be completed all at one time. It can be done in increments.

• Photo_user_banned_big

kkal143

I think I will try this. For sure. Thank you.

gfmhk commented on: "djsgrtfg kjdhfa", 3 minutes ago.
582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max30
LanaNJ gave a thumbs up to The Post "Obama Uses Coffee Cup to Salute Marines", 8 minutes ago.
582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max30
LanaNJ gave a thumbs up to The Post "Obama Uses Coffee Cup to Salute Marines", 10 minutes ago.
seeshronal1 commented on: "Seesh Ronal", 30 minutes ago.
seeshronal1 commented on: "Seesh Ronal", 31 minutes ago.