Police Fitness >> Browse Articles >> Fitness / Wellness

Fitness: It's 90% Mental

Stew Smith, CSCS

Have you ever heard of this statement? Often it refers to challenging military / law enforcement training programs. The first time I heard the saying was at SEAL training and I never quite understood what it meant at the time because it felt like 100% physical at the time. I promise you this. It does not refer to 90% mental being academic studies at SEAL Training. There is academic studying you must do, but typically it refers to how well you mentally push yourself through pain. But, today, a former college football player said his coach taught him that “if you show up out the shape the mental is twice as hard.”

This concise statement is what I have been trying to say for years when explaining rigorous training programs. Personal experience has shown that the better condition you are physically, to more likely you are better able to handle stress, understand a tactical concept, perform a task to precision, and be better able to master other job related duties.

Too often recruits show up reaching the minimum standards of fitness for boot camp, basic, indoctrination, etc and all too often fail at something like land navigation, shooting, and other job related skills. Or the out of shape recruit is likely to become injured on normal daily activity PT / runs because he/she is not conditioned for even the most basic of activities. From here the de-conditioned recruit will miss valuable training and will likely be rolled to a different class, quit, or be dismissed from the training program altogether. That is what happens when you show up not prepared.

Striving for minimum standards (plus) – When preparing for a training program that you know is going to be physical (military basic, special ops training, police academy etc) take the minimum standards for acceptance into those programs and increase the standards for yourself. Typically a minimum standard recruits has a very low percentage of completing, graduating, or excelling in any part of the program.

Rule of Thumb for Preparedness:

For calisthenics type testing – pullups, pushups, situps – you will see a minimum standard for acceptance into the program. Recommendations range from 50-100% increase in the minimum standards – sometimes more! For instance, the minimum standards for SEAL training pullups is 6, it is recommended to be able to do 20 before attending BUD/S. Typically pushups / situps minimum standards for many of the branches of service and police range from 20-40 repetitions to pass. I would recommend striving for 50-100% increase in those numbers from the minimum standards.

For cardiovascular testing – running, swimming, etc: This one is more difficult to gauge generally, but if you can get 1-2 minutes under the minimum standards on a run or swim, then you are setting yourself up for better performance / conditioning throughout your training. For example, if the minimum standard for a 1.5 mile run is 12:30, then it is recommended to be able to run a 10-11:30 to create a cushion for yourself.

It is true. If you show up in shape the mental part of training is much easier. Now there is a mental side to training that is being able to mentally will yourself not to quit. There will be a time when you “feel” you cannot run another step, or when you “feel” like you cannot do another pushup. In advanced training programs, this is where mental toughness comes into play in order to push through the pain and discomfort of long days / nights. I am a firm believer that through tough physical fitness training you will sharpen the mind and allow it to build tolerance to pain when most people will quit from exhaustion.

Whether you are seeking to serve in the military, law enforcement or the special operations community, you should ask yourself, “Am I using the minimum standards as my capstone goal for training?” If the answer is yes, then you should re-think your training plan and give yourself some more time to reach far and above past the minimum standards. If you do this, training will be fun, educational, and you will look back at it with confidence. This will affect everything else you do in the future and create a higher standard for you personally, professionally, physically, and yes – even mentally!

OlympicJoy

Very good. Thank you!

• Rosa_max50

hotmomperez03

true

• 0930121924_max50

Stalker975

This was a great write up. I made it through the State Police training and wish i had info like this before I went in there and suffered Hell for 22 weeks 10 years ago.

• Az_hp_plymouth_fury_max50

Arizona_Smokey

As the PT/Health and Wellness instructor at one of Arizona's police academies, Stew is dead-on with his observations. Although what he writes about is nothing groundbreaking or new, the examples he provides can serve as a very real guide of what an agency, potential cadet, and current Officers can and should expect to encounter at the academy and in their own personal PT regiments or PT tests, should an agency mandate such. I just wish more Cadets and incumbent Officers would take to heart and maintain their own PT program. So many Officers get out of the academy and the downhill slide to laziness and out of shape conditions is alarming. I'm always thinking of that one highly motivated and determined person (regardless of what their mental or physical condition might be) who decides to not comply with me or chooses to engage me in an all-out physical fight to where one of us walks away and the other does not. That is why I continue to PT and push myself beyond my comfort level. Like Stew said, it's all about your mental toughness and I want to be the one who is victorious.

When the mind is strong and integral, the body will obey!

• Shields_police_max50

Patrolman25

This article is as good as it is true.

Man this has gotta be a signal grace (sign from God) cuz i was thinkin that i need to get better physically before i got to basic for the air force this september... i got a long road ahead of me but this article just helped me get kicked into high gear.

• Img_3265_max50

mucholucho

Good article and insight. I have to pull up my mental boot straps and kick myself into gear. I start the Academy 7 weeks. I started preparing since early this year but I had a few physical set backs.

• Dscn0105_max50

ESkinner

It's completely, and regrettably true. Coming out of the winter months, it is hard to get that motivation, but I'm working on it...

So true.

snufe09

Completely true, when u stop working out your not releasing the endorphines any longer so your not getting that "Ahhh, feels good to look good" feeling any more, then you start making excuses to put your workouts off, I have been there and it sucks! push yourself, you will be happy you did...

• Uni_max50

SPDNH156

Great article! Great advice!

• Me2__1__max50

Avacop310

I needed this, thanks!

• American_flag_max50

APD108

Win the battle in your mind before you ever start it.

• L_f3150d_max50

Jima

Very good article! I can attest to the truth of being mentally "in-it".

Eagle_and_flag_max30
36TR posted in: "Please Don't Give Them the Satisfaction", 6 minutes ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "Please Don't Give Them the Satisfaction", 12 minutes ago.
beckaroth received the quiz result of "You did not receive a passing score", 22 minutes ago.
Sany0182_max30
ethan2010 gave a thumbs up to The Topic "Please Don't Give Them the Satisfaction", 28 minutes ago.