Police Fitness >> Browse Articles >> Fitness / Wellness

Surefire Strategy For Beating Physical Fitness Test Fatigue

Stew Smith, CSCS

How many of you have taken a physical fitness test (PFT) and did not score as well as you have in the past during your own workouts? Often by the end of a PFT, you will be fatigued and the last cardio test will be slower than normal workouts scores. Here is an email I received that I think we all can relate to:

Hey Stew – I normally run a 9-minute zone 1.5 miles, but after pull-ups, pushups, and sit-ups testing portion, I can only get 10 minutes on the 1.5 mile run. What gives?

This is very common. Once I realized you need to have a strategy for taking the PFT, my scores started improving. Of course, I was doing more PFTs in the order of the test I was about to take, so I am sure getting in better shape helped with my PFT stamina.

First of all, you have to train the way you test: If your PFT requires you to perform weights or PT exercises first, then your workouts should mimic the order of the test as best you can.

For example, for your test, you should do your PT, weight training first, then, follow it with the running portion of your workout. By arranging the workouts this way you will get the body used to running when the upper body is pumped up with blood. During the test you need to understand about PFT Transition. In a nutshell, if you can loosen up your upper body by stretching the arms, chest, shoulders, and back muscles prior to running, that will help with your more natural running state. Also loosen up your legs by doing a short run so you get the blood from your upper body down to your legs. This transition takes about 4-5 minutes and usually you get about 10 minutes to prepare for the last event of the PFT.

Stay Hydrated and Cool: If you can keep your heat down, your performance will improve. Be well-hydrated days prior to the event and sip water or a sports drink during the test in order to stay cool. The sports drink or fruit will help you keep blood sugar levels high during the test. By doing this you will have energy to push yourself on the last event of the PFT. In between all events, hold onto cold water bottles (even ice filled) to keep the colder blood circulating to your core. You will be amazed at how well this works.

Learn How to Pace Yourself: The pacing exercises in this test are the sit-ups and the running portion. These require a steady pace and not a fast starting pace. Many times in sit-ups, people score 30 sit-ups in 30 seconds, but cannot get another 30 in the next 1:30 in a 2-minute test. By simply dropping your initial pace to 20 in 30 seconds, you can easier score 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes without a single workout. Same for the running. You never sprint the first quarter mile of a 1.5 mile run. Find your goal pace and stick to it by training at that pace at every distance you run. For example, if your goal is to run a 10:30 1.5 mile run then you have to run a quarter mile in 1:45, a half mile in 3:30, and a mile in 7 minutes. Learn the pace by practice!

Exert On The UP: . When doing any of the PT exercises, you have one advantage to half the exercise – gravity. Gravity will take you down faster with no effort, so do not waste energy by slowly lowering yourself to the bottom of the exercise. If doing sit-ups, let gravity take your back to the floor by relaxing the abdominal muscles. If doing pushups, relax the chest and triceps and fall to the counter. Same goes for pull-ups, but you must semi-control your decent here as it can produce swinging, which will throw you off your best scores.

So the thing to remember is this: go into the PFT well prepared. Make sure you are hydrated, stay hydrated, stay cool, and stretch well before running (both upper and lower body). Do not forget to learn your pace and pace yourself during the test!

PurpleHope

about 1 year ago

I saw an article on http://www.medigapadvisors.com/ specifying exactly the aspects you mentioned in this article. And indeed it works like this! I have tried it on my own.

• Img_6939_max50

GilH2077

Good article, excellent advice!

• Photo_user_banned_big

davivjinan123

I agree wartsila with post wartsila analysis, Worth sharing wartsila this information. wärtsilä Good Work wärtsilä

• Bigboy_max50

BigDawgBadge24

Excellent advice.

You cant get much better information on PT than Stew Smith. I use his principles on working out, and I got ripped in 3 months and lost 30 lbs. Dont bother with all that other diet, and fitness programs. STEW IS THE REAL DEAL. ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY PEOPLE!

• 13769_1252544804067_1542949809_647138_1315089_n_max50

ssciaretta

In montana all sit ups and pushups are done in 1 minute time frame, then we have a sit and reach and then the 1 1/2 mile run. There are age categories 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 and 50-59. This is the initial testing for an applicant. Once hired on they are now doing an obstacle coarse test prior to your acceptance into the academy.
    I learned how to pace myself for the 1 1/2 by plugging the right music into my I-pod for running. I knew that I did not want to get out of the gate to early and be spent at the end so I found the right music and knew where I was in my times on each half mile by the music playing, it helped alot. I am 47 and I qualified 6 seconds over the time for the 20-29 bracket on the 1 1/2 run and a full minute and 15 under 40-49..

• N584101041_2026201_2721_max50

melanie08

for the mass national guard, we do a 2:2:2.
    2 mins of pushups, 2 mins of situps, and a 2 mile run.
    i do about 50 pushups in 2 mins, 68 situps in 2 mins, and i run my 2 mile in like 18:27 which sucks. i really need to work on that alot!

David4946- a mile and a half isnt stupid to have to run. your strengthening your body which helps you in your profession, it helps you to stay fit, in shape, and healthy. i doubt they are just looking at cardiac health. they probably want officers who are in shape and who CAN keep up if its needed.

• Img_0038_max50

warriorwaynorth

Stew Smith is my physical training idol!

• Geiger_max50

David4946

Here in Ohio we must test differantly than where this recruit tested. It's the 50th percentile here. ages 21 to 30 have to run the 1.5 in 11:58 period. 12:38 for ages 30 - 40. As long as you make it by the time limit you pass. Are you (the writer) graded on how fast you complete the 1.5 run and how many sit up and push ups you can do ect.? I do the 1.5 in about 12:00 so I pass my PFT. I think its stupid to make us run a 1.5 when you are never going to run after a suspect for that long. I think a mile would more appropriate if they are just looking at cardic health. I'm actually more partial to the agility courses anyway.. much more practicle !!!

• Come_and_get_them_max50

Macedoniangreek

Looks good, I am gonna give it a shot, thanx.

Quickley-b240_max30
bill9823 gave a thumbs up to The Post "To Pay My Respects to an Old Timer", 6 minutes ago.
New_york_yankees__2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Bob Perkins", 13 minutes ago.
New_york_yankees__2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Bob Perkins", 15 minutes ago.
New_york_yankees__2_2013_max30
SE851 commented on: "Keith K", 17 minutes ago.