News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Innocent man beaten and tasered by California police for signaling he is deaf

Img_2202_max50

MrsBristol

5 months ago

Source: http://rt.com

February 15, 2014

• Img_2202_max50

MrsBristol

5 months ago

Thank you everyone for your responses. Abuse in law enforcement I'm sure happens everyday because of immaturity and lack of leadership. First we must remember we are the peace keepers and not the villains. When children look at police officers today, they see them as scary people. I grew up with officer friendly. But when I grew older, my officer friendly turned into a bully. We must stop these types of behaviors. If we are going to get the support that we need to continue to fight crime. We must seek to educate not incarcerate, but better still let us foster a better plan for our communities. Remember to stop, look and listen. Never ever forget why you wear the shield. There are never any wrong answers here, but just a place that allows us to communicate. Thanks again for your responses.

NCGirl2009

5 months ago

All the puzzle pieces do not fit...Officers can normally tell when some one is deaf...Some by the sign language, others by the sounds a deaf person makes...Of course the charges were dropped, he had a reason to be on the property...There is more to this story on the deaf persons part...Why did he jump a fence???? If he had just stood still nothing would have happened....A deaf person can read lips !!!!!

• Img_2202_max50

MrsBristol

5 months ago

There are many mental illness as I observe the community. I can recall a young officer arriving to a scene of a domestic. While there he sees a black male running down the road and people yelling get him, get him. The officer manages to wrestle the man to the ground. The man was in a rage. However, the man had been hit in the head with a blunt object and was bleeding from the wound of his head. The man that hit him was already running down the road and all the officer could see was the victim at the time. Long story short. The officer acted on the command of the community and sought to pursue who he thought was the victim or perp at the time. He couldn't call it!!

• Gods_team_max50

IowaNinersFan

5 months ago

20216 Comments

What he'll be receiving includes a lot of zero's at the end. Sounds like additional training is needed here for future occurrences.

• 63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max50

SE851

5 months ago

Bump the previous statements of my friends here.Of course,however we were not there and are not fully cognizant of the entire episode.I might,however point out that the man was released,with NO charges which is a telltale sign that the officers simply screwed up.Not good at all.In my city was quite a number of hearing impared citizens,as the states Home for the Deaf and school for the deaf were located there.I ,more than once approached the higher command structure and inquired about starting classes for officers en re to signing.I was told it would be cost prohibitive.

• Img_2202_max50

MrsBristol

5 months ago

Stay in condition yellow always proceed with caution. It is hard to call it sometimes. Great job gudercop. For noticing first hand that you may have been dealing with a disability

• Batman_max600_1__max50

gudercop

5 months ago

I stopped a hearing impaired driver just last week and he indicated to me that he was hearing impaired so I grabbed my trusty clip board and wrote on it what I wanted from him and what going to happen. it worked very well and had we no problems. He indicated to me that he could not hear and had verbalized it as well.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

5 months ago

What a mess.

63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Jesse Ruch", 4 minutes ago.
63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Michael Minnie", 4 minutes ago.
63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Bryan Stanley", 5 minutes ago.
63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Nathaniel Davis", 5 minutes ago.
63595_1476211195257_170665_n_1__max30
SE851 commented on: "Ben Button", 5 minutes ago.