News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Why one cop carries 145 rounds on the job.

Police_bear_max50

Badgehunter

over 1 year ago

Source: PoliceOne

April 27, 2013

• Redhatpicmay25-2_max50

Deefuzzz

over 1 year ago

An eyeopener for sure.

• shadow_officer

over 1 year ago

And more department need to train their officers in shooting out of their patrol car windows from the seated position. How they react to live rounds being shot through their window, adrenaline pumping....then possibly shooting at moving target out of their car....very good and needed training. After the last couple of weeks and officers being shot at through their cars ....its vital training

• shadow_officer

over 1 year ago

I would carry four different weapons in my patrol car if I could. But our department assigns you a AR-15/M-4 or Shotgun. Then you have your duty weapon (Glock 21-.45cal) and then my back up weapon which is (Glock 23-.40 cal.) all weapons having extra mags and rounds readily available in front of car and trunk of patrol car. so at any given time I have 200 rounds for Glock 21 and 200 rounds for Glock 23. 250 rounds of .223 for the M-4, and then 100 rounds for the shotgun when assigned or just to have extra if needed.

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

over 1 year ago

Glad the Sergeant survived the encounter. One striking similarity between this shooting and the FBI Miami shootout in '86 is all of the bad guys had no drugs ( recreational or prescribed ) or alcohol in their systems as they carried the fight to the good guys. A scary thought ......

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

over 1 year ago

Real glad Sergeant will be ok. He got to go home. No casualties. This is the way it should be.

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

over 1 year ago

I probably don't know what I'm talking about (I really probably don't--no joke), but isn't the reason he switched to all 9mm rounds is that they are lighter and thus can carry a lot more of them?

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

over 1 year ago

Outstanding report. Thank God this Officer survived this incident as well as any and all innocent bystanders. I am retired but still carry 24/7 'just in case' and carry a .45 loaded with 13 rds and those rounds are some of the most nasty and effective rounds available. Still, I sometimes wonder if I should not carry at least a spare mag. Back when I was working I carried my issue S&W Mdl 64 38 Spl loaded with 6 rounds, two 6 rd speed-loaders, and extra box of 50 rds and 6 rounds in my back up- again .38 spl cal. for a total of 74 rds. I also carried the 870 shotgun loaded with 5 rds and another 5 rds in a stock mounted sleeve and an addition 10 rds in my briefcase 5 each in slug and 00 buck. Back then that was a huge stockpile of ammo but we did not have a semi-auto authorized to carry. If I was active now.......I know I would have at least four loaded mags plus the one in the pistol, and another 50 rds in my case along with an additional 10 to 15 rounds of shotgun ammo AND if allowed to carry a rifle at least four additional loaded mags of .223 besides the mag in the rifle and another two boxed of 20 rds of .223 ammo plus of course whatever I had in my back up with a spare mag for it for a total of at least 221 rds plus whatever my backup and the spare mag hold. which would be at least another 15 rds. Paranoid or scared, nope, just like this Officer said, just prepared and I may have to help provide for my brothers who were not so well prepared. Being a cop is not a game and you have to deal with people from the Grandmother and the three or four yrs old innocents to people like those two individuals like the Boston Bombers. You NEVER know!

• Somegiveall_max160_max160_max50