News >> Browse Articles >> Op / Ed

Rate

Highlands student questions officer's decision to use stun gun

Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

over 1 year ago

Source: KCRA

January 25, 2013

Rate
  • Batman_max600_1__max50

gudercop

over 1 year ago

So when does a school dictate use of force. If an Officer told me to stop and I did not my folks would have tanned my hide. Not sue or go after the Officer or his dept.

• 25-1-13-a_1__max50

SkoolCop

over 1 year ago

My mom would have asked where she could have obtained a taser.

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

over 1 year ago

SkoolCop. Ditto. Of course his parents sided up with him. I could hear my dad if it was me. taze him again he would have said.

• New_unit_max50

ChiefDC501

over 1 year ago

1912 Comments

From what this young combatant said, he was still engaged in the fight when the Taser was deployed. So he ignored any and all orders to cease as the officer approached. Having ignored such commands, usually not spoken softly, the officer used his Taser and stopped the fight. THE END.

• 25-1-13-a_1__max50

SkoolCop

over 1 year ago

Interesting comment that was made by Vince Matranga, the former chief of security for the Sacramento School District. He said, "A taser might be used if they have a weapon that they are using during the fight, or they really become with the officers, and pepper spray is not working. Then I could see a taser being used."

Perhaps he is not up to date on the latest training with regards to using a taser AFTER pepper spray has been used and that there is a potential for the target who was pepper sprayed to ignite.

Also, by the description as printed, the incident apparently occurred in a "hallway" outside of a classroom, leading me to believe that the hallway was inside of a structure. Had the officer deployed pepper spray in this incident, many people within the structure would also have been effected by the pepper spray as it is carried through the building ventilation system.

I think in this case, I am going to trust the officer and his decision to use the taser to limit the overall propensity for injuries to himself, the two combatants or the rest of the faculty and staff inside of the structure.

• 2011-09-25_2017

tx45

over 1 year ago

These kids these days do not listen to thier piers, and are getting much bigger these days. I for one would use a TASER on both of them. An officer these days dosent know if they would have had weapons, and turned on them.

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

over 1 year ago

Could it be the parents and the kid are simply looking for a payday? Nooooo, not in our kinder, gentler society where everyone always tells the truth!

local140

over 1 year ago

One police officer, 2 students (and he doesn't look like a tiny kid). Kids didn't know how to behave so they start fighting. The officer could try to tell them to stop (if they were that obedient they wouldn't have been asked to leave the class in the first place), possibly jump in between them (and undoubtedly be told he was too rough with one of the little darlings) or use a compliance device which obviously had no lasting effect on this lawsuit seeking little gem and end the fight safely. I agree with the officer's decision.

rakals posted: "e decrepit", 12 minutes ago.
rakals posted in: "e decrepit", 12 minutes ago.
rakals posted: "epending on viewing", 13 minutes ago.
rakals posted in: "epending on viewing", 13 minutes ago.