News >> Browse Articles >> Op / Ed
11 months ago
3743 articles submitted
January 15, 2013
Here it is: January 16th 2013
List of Executive Actions ordered by the POTUS on Gun Violence:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Ya know I have what most would consider a naive and somewhat useless question. Mr. Biden how many guns do you own?
Good article Matt,thanks.There is also a problem with some individuals who are private dealers whom don't bother to get a license.They buy in volume and care not who they sell to.Unfortunately they are somewhat like weeds in ones yard.You pick two and three pop up.Sadly tis a lucritive business such as the drug trade.
Check this out. Notice that regardless of route the gun took, all the routes lead back to a legal distribution channel that was either circumvented by a corrupt dealer, a corrupt purchaser, or a theft from a law abiding citizen.So, obviously we need uniform regulation and enforcement in the legal distribution channels across the country.
Bump to you Lonna.Dang,girl you're starting to think like a Republican,I'm starting to worry about you.I hope and pray Obama and/or Biden aren't going to try anything by executive "fiat",it won't fly.Unfortunately,however,trying the same old stuff will not work either.Felons can get guns off the streets easier than the citizens can purchase them at a dealer and they are more powerful and cheaper.I don't have all the answers,but I hope somebody and /or a group of sombodies do soon.
I don't think Biden has formed some politiburo against Gun Owners, but I join those that don't feel comfortable in having our elected officials delegate the future of them. On the other hand our current stats are frighting, what are we to do?
I'm 110% in agreement w/Darsavmo regarding enforcing the current laws and the current background system may need some tweaking to ensure weapons do not wind up with felons, those convicted of assault, the very unstable, and those with serious anger management problems ect.
I agree on enforcing the current laws in place and in making the current background system a working system...
Save time in your search for a criminal justice degree program.
Use PoliceLink's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.
Anchorage police arrest 4 men after pair of armed robberies
Would-be jewel thief looking for diamonds ended up with sack lunch
Ex-Long Beach Police Detective Accused Of Leaking Info To Gang
Police: Newlyweds lure man for thrill killing
SFPD officers to pose as Seahawks fans at 49ers game
© 2013 PoliceLink