News >> Browse Articles >> Off Beat

Rate

As toll road opens, a question lingers: is 85 mph safe?

Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

over 1 year ago

Source: Austin-American Statesman

October 24, 2012

Rate
  • 2012-09-24_22-41-56_408_max50

Scjohnk

over 1 year ago

To the person who messaged me from an anonymous account: Yes, the German autobahn is designed for high speeds. 120-130MPH is the flow of traffic in some areas. German cars are also designed for these speeds, I was driving a 700 series BMW in excellent mechanical condition. You might want to educated yourself before you try to continue your harassment, and yes I know it was you bonjovi guy. You are an internet troll, nothing more nothing less. I'll not entertain you further.

• Me_in_car_max600_max50

NVET87

over 1 year ago

I am pretty happy when going 75. Even if limit was 85 .....Guess I would be the slow one doing 75. I do agree with whalewatcher. I have had many close calls with deer and if I had been going faster I would not have been able to avoid them or other cars.

over 1 year ago

Spot on Whalewatcher.One will be just as dead from a head-on at 45 as hitting a solid object at 90

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

over 1 year ago

A close call at 55 will be an accident at 85. Here in Forida, the vehicle safety inspections were done away with decades ago, and the junkers out on the roads here would be a truly frightening thing at such speeds.

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

over 1 year ago

As someone who occasionally tests the limits of his vehicles (as long as the sun is shining directly overhead, the road is straight, and the sides of the road are clear), I'd be the last person to criticize.

The people who say that speeders will just speed more have a point. We have 65 in NY and traffic is generally averaging 75-80, at least in the Syracuse area.

I do think one has to use some sense, though--there are many variables not under your control. One of things always in the back of my head is close calls I've had with deer at dawn and dusk--but I'm not generally speeding (under those conditions).

• Avatar_max160_max160_max50

jakesdad

over 1 year ago

I'll let you know mz66.

• 2012-09-24_22-41-56_408_max50

Scjohnk

over 1 year ago

I've driven for 6 years on the German Autobahn where I regularly drove speeds well in excess of 120-130MPH. My wife freaked out when I drove faster. It was perfectly safe. The only issues I can see are:
    1) Americans tend to drive more distracted than German drivers., although DUI rates are higher in germany.
    2) Older American vehicles simply were not designed for 85MPH and may be unsafe.
    3) There are generally less accidents, due to drivers being more attentive at higher speeds. However, accidents, when they happen are generally worse. New safety features may reduce this though.

1st_pic_i_sent_u_max30
ilevy007 commented on: "Bryan", 28 minutes ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "3 Word Response", 30 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "jasa seo google, jasa seo terbaik, jasa seo profesional, ...", about 1 hour ago.
jasaxseo submitted the article: "jasa seo google, jasa seo terbaik, jasa seo profesional, ...", about 1 hour ago.