News >> Browse Articles >> Op / Ed

Grieving husband questions Brockton police pursuit

Snoopy_6_max50

Jonas

over 1 year ago

Source: wcvb.com

October 14, 2012

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

over 1 year ago

Condolences to the husband and may his wife RIP.

Sounds like it was a legitimate pursuit and I fully suppost the officers, but this is why pursuit policies need to be in place and made known to all officers. Additionally, officers need to set aside their egos and consider all factors like time of day and traffic wehn engaging in a pursuit. They should have the discretion to call off a pursuit on their own if they feel it is not safe even if justified by policy, and should not be ridiculed or harassed if they do. I know it is hard as I have been there many times and have had sgts and lts on the radio cancelling pursuits. Thankfully I've never seen an officer nor an innocent party killed in a pursuit, but I've had several friends and fellow officers get severely injured with one injury costing a career, and I've a friend who had his wife and son severely injured with permenant disabilities.

While I'm not saying never to pursue, I'm saying that all officers need to take note of what can happen in a pursuit, curb their egos and say do I really need to pursue and why, and think about what if it was their wife or husband lying dead because of a pursuit as this guys wife is...

SharonG commented on: craigw's photo: "Mom3", less than a minute ago.
SharonG gave a thumbs up to The Photo "Mom3", less than a minute ago.
SharonG commented on: craigw's photo: "Mom", 1 minute ago.
SharonG commented on: craigw's photo: "66033_600436686633918_1855647548_n", 1 minute ago.
SharonG commented on: craigw's photo: "respect authority", 2 minutes ago.