News >> Browse Articles >> Op / Ed

Grieving husband questions Brockton police pursuit

Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

Source: wcvb.com

October 14, 2012

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

Condolences to the husband and may his wife RIP.

Sounds like it was a legitimate pursuit and I fully suppost the officers, but this is why pursuit policies need to be in place and made known to all officers. Additionally, officers need to set aside their egos and consider all factors like time of day and traffic wehn engaging in a pursuit. They should have the discretion to call off a pursuit on their own if they feel it is not safe even if justified by policy, and should not be ridiculed or harassed if they do. I know it is hard as I have been there many times and have had sgts and lts on the radio cancelling pursuits. Thankfully I've never seen an officer nor an innocent party killed in a pursuit, but I've had several friends and fellow officers get severely injured with one injury costing a career, and I've a friend who had his wife and son severely injured with permenant disabilities.

While I'm not saying never to pursue, I'm saying that all officers need to take note of what can happen in a pursuit, curb their egos and say do I really need to pursue and why, and think about what if it was their wife or husband lying dead because of a pursuit as this guys wife is...

Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "Retired MPDC", 19 minutes ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "my husband just got violated.", 21 minutes ago.
Rcsd04_max600_max30
StrykerBrig21 gave a thumbs up to The Post "my husband just got violated.", 22 minutes ago.
Batman_max600_1__max30
gudercop posted in: "3 Word Response", 23 minutes ago.