News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

'I'm not gonna let somebody kill me while I'm on my knees': Incredible bravery of police woman shot FIVE times as she tackled gunmen who killed boyfriend's aunt during home invasion

Maa_class_badge_max50

1baggdHD

Source: the daily mail

May 22, 2012

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

I did happen to catch 48 hours last Saturday when this aired. I was totally impressed by this officer courage and will to survive. She is a Warrior and the medal of valor is still not enough. God Bless her and wishes for nothing but the best for her.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

M66, thanks so much for the link as it explains quite a bit and leaves out the sensational garbage. This is really a brave person and has brought great credit to our profession. I can sympathize with her and understand her mental problems readjusting. A terrifying night that she was so very lucky to survive. I know when I was injuried that I was very protective of my right side, so much so that I avoided crowds and was fearful that someone would bump into me and cause severe pain again. Glad she received her pension as sometimes the wounds are not always visible.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

Wow, This is my kind of cop! Go down fighting and NEVER give up. I am very proud of her and she brings great credit to the Law Enforcement Profession. Prayers for a long and happy life. She should be awarded every medal and honor possible for her bravery.

• Car_004_max50

copper380

2026 Comments

A true cop, true bravery, true will to survive and not go quietly.....True Blue

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

Bump Nick - there's Warriors, and then there's the Top Gun of Warriors that we have here.

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

Blue to the bone...how brave.

• Mr-natural_1__max50

mz66

Not to take away from this woman's very impressive story, but The Daily Mail (Fail) rarely tells a story without taking liberties. For one, her retirement was forced by not being able to meet the department's mental health standards. Sadly, this extremely important aspect of the story was skipped when the Mail took it up. The impact of police work on mental health is a critical issue that shouldn't be ignored or swept aside. Also, after reading another version of the story on a news source that isn't ridiculous, it becomes clear the Mail just makes stuff up as they go along.

Shooting's invisible scars leave St. Louis officer no choice but retirement

Excerpt:

Unable to meet the police department's mental health standards, she retired from the police department Feb. 6. Lovadina must now reinvent herself, facing a life without police work, a daunting task made more complicated by lingering depression, occasional debilitating fear and periods of deep sorrow.

"Even though I'm 30 years old, I still feel like I have to start all over again," she said. "I'm still picking up the pieces. I'm still trying to learn just how to function in day-to-day life."

Some days it can be hard for her to leave her apartment, let alone figure out what she's going to do next in her career. Her physical rehabilitation — relearning to walk, working on her fine motor skills in occupational therapy — is in the rearview mirror, but the path to a better mental and emotional place is pockmarked with bouts of self doubt and survivor's guilt.

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

An outstanding show of courage and will to survive. A great loss to LE with her medical retirement. As for the thugs, they should have been bagged and tagged.

• Thumbnail_max50

Spectre3

Incredible bravery. Bump BigNTS!

• Angel_kincaid_park_2014_max50

AKangel

Glad she had a Warrior mind set, after reading the story it apeared no one would have made it out alive.
    Job Well Done Warrior

• Anonymous-killer-whale-232189_1__max50

Whalewatcher

Incredibly brave woman !!!! Bump BigNTS, in spades !!!!!!!

• Yeh_max50

gyeh

Amazing Courage! True Heart of a Warrior.

• Cruise_2014_max50

BigNTS

"Warrior" just doesn't do her justice.

rsironron

You are a true warior.

2_max30
garrytomsum commented on: "garrytomsum smith", about 1 hour ago.
Blue_candle_holiday_memory_max30
IamQnMutha gave a thumbs up to The Post "Respecting Others", about 1 hour ago.
Blue_candle_holiday_memory_max30
IamQnMutha gave a thumbs up to The Post "my husband just got violated.", about 1 hour ago.
travisspeck commented on: "travis speck", about 2 hours ago.