News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

'You killed my best friend.' Horrific moment police shoot dead man's dog after responding to 911 call at WRONG address

Emblem_color_max50

sven87

Source: MailOnline.com

April 18, 2012

• Csi_squirrle_max600_1__max50

mmmm

I'm still trying to figure out why the officer drew down on the man? Call of a domestic around here usually doesn't result in me pulling my rosco when I see a subject in the yard. I would like to know that the call went out as. This whole mess stinks. I am not ready to throw the officer under the bus but it sounds like his escalation is what aroused the dog. Like ATRAVIOR stated it is usually obvious by the dog's attitude what his intentions are. Since we can't see that I have no thoughts on if the officer was justified.

• Thinker_max50

darsavmo

This is a hard one to Monday Morning Quarterback, but an innocent person's dog was killed and now a proper apology and financial restitution needs to be made. While legitimate mistakes happen, if the PD makes the mistake then they need to rectify the mistake...

• Aaa_max50

beejac

This trigger happy cowboy needs to be removed from this department and never allowed to own or carry a fire arm again.

• Ericm60_max50

cakdep1

Sorry but shooting the dog might be legally justified but it doesn ot make going to the wrong address right!
    I remeber several situations where the wrong homes were hit!
    I was on a raid that the detective had a search warrent for the wrong house! We bought them a new door and appologized alot!
    One bad situation and rumor will be repeated thousands of times making life harder for other officers by anti police media!!!

• Carla_on_her_new_chair_003_max50

exarmy72

Officer was completely justified...everyone knows dogs are territorial and protective of their owners...it makes total sense the dog was trying to protect his owner from the officer who was yelling at him to show his hands in the dogs territory...of course the dog could attack the officer under these circumstances....justified end of story

• 1211120858_max50

FreezeP

Unless i heard wrong, the officer gave 2 different accounts of what happened and the dogs owner keeps giving the same account of what took place. The officer was wrong in shooting the dog.

You can usually tell if a dog actually wants to bite you. My dog does the same thing, but never hurts anyone. I don't buy the "he had to protect himself" card. He could have made sure the dog wanted to hurt him before shooting him.

• 192409-thumbnail_sq90_max50

lanier38345

I think that the Officer should have checked with the dispatcher to see if that was the right address and that should have not happen and I feel for the dogs owner . This is sad story.