News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Some employers are asking job applicants for Facebook username, password

Cruise_2014_max50

BigNTS

Source: www.nj.com

March 20, 2012

Any potential employer of my would have as much chance getting that info as emplanting a chip in my hand.Do I smell Big Brother?Never displayed cleavage Dennis ,but my belt broke once and my cheeks showed for a spell.Everybody probably figured I was from the Ozarks,(I am).

• Sspx0013_-resized_max50

1good1bad1ugly

My present employer asked for all the social sites I go to. Not just FB. They didn't ask for passwords, but then again my page isn't locked down from the public. I don't have anything to hide. They can read about all the "laundry I have to do today," or "I took the dogs to the dog park." I didn't put down PL cuz frankly I forgot. I'm not sure if that would have mattered, or not. No passwords are going to any employer, tho. I believe I have a right to my privacy. Would they give me the password to their email account? I doubt it. I never chat on FB. I always chat in private as messages to friends and family. btw uncledennis your remark just cracked me up!!

• 582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max50

LanaNJ

lol @UncD

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

I would never use profanity or bash an employer on face book. Pay attention applicants. Once I posted a pic of myself showing some cleavage however,

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

Not everyone posts for "all the world" to see. Some only post to their friends and their profile is locked down. Here's an analogy: if your potential employer asked you to provide recorded footage of your next private party at your house with friends, would you? So, no--no password...and no showing them whatever they want. I will show them whatever I have shared with "public", but not what I consider private conversations among friends.

• Screen_shot_2011-04-10_at_8

T_9

I have to agree that if you always behave properly then there would be nothing to hide. As for the password part, I would have issue. I am more than willing to show them whatever they want to see. I have nothing to hide.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

I do not agree. I give NO ONE my password. I have no problem giving them my user name but there is no reason they should have or need my password.

• 82nd_airborne_max50

BLACKMAN

NOT a Suprise! How many LEO's have been getting suspended & fired for somethnig they post on FB or Tweet..etc.
    Thus I Will NEver have a FB acct.

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

I give no one my passwords to anything! Talk about opening up a huge can of worms. Next they will want to be in my bedroom. What a crock!

• Hpim1329_max50

tstanfill63

It's all part of a thorough back ground investigation. Absolutely appropriate and a great resource for back ground investigators.

• Blue_line_max50

ACecala

1960 Comments

I feel a bit on both ends on this one. LEO have an expectation of privacy just like everyone else. But, if you clean your laundry in the front window of Macy's at high noon. Someone is going to see it. I think discretion is the key on this one. Just saying.

• Cruise_2014_max50

BigNTS

Bump IowaNinersFan!

• Gods_team_max50

IowaNinersFan

20576 Comments

One of many reasons why I refuse to open a FB account.

• Ready_set_go_max50

hnyangl

I feel it is a violation of a person's personal privacy...we all have a life outside of work...I work for DOC and at work I am one person and at home I am another....so to speak. I don't think my employer needs to know all about me....my work speaks for itself and that is all they need.

• Suit_max50

cmm07r

I remember the academy asked me for it and several departments made me put it in myself (of course the departments "looked away" but it still gave them full access to my account). But oh well, I have nothing to hide anyways.

kk1225 received the quiz result of "You passed with flying colors", 33 minutes ago.
reysack posted: "no need of dieting now", about 1 hour ago.
reysack posted in: "no need of dieting now", about 1 hour ago.