News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Police Shoot Concrete Alligator

United Press International

June 02, 2011

A police officer in Independence, Mo., who thought he was killing an alligator on the loose, discovered he had shot a life-size concrete lawn ornament.

The police department ended up apologizing to Rick Sheridan, the cement gator’s owner, WDAF-TV, Kansas City, reported. Sheridan said he heard gunfire as he worked in his garage last weekend and went out to investigate, discovering several police officers with their guns drawn.

“The officer fired two rounds, and killed my concrete, ornamental alligator,” Sheridan said.

The police department said a man called to report his children had seen an alligator. The department checked with state conservation officials and were told they should kill the animal if they could find it.

Sheridan said Wednesday he has found the alligator to be more effective than “No Trespassing” signs at keeping strangers from wandering onto his property. He said vandals simply rip the signs down.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

© 2009, YellowBrix, Inc.

granny1

oh the poor alligator,lmao

paidnfull

I live next two a border patrol officer, and before I moved here it was a patrolman, and the theme I find and common sense shows is we are all human and sometimes we make mistakes. It looks pretty real this statue. I am all for holding officers accountable, but over this, I think it is a simple mistake. And I have met many officers over the years and I have found most of them all were great people. We all make mistakes, even over silly things, from time to time. Give'em a break, no one was injured.

paidnfull

I am sorry but this is funny. No disrespect to the officers, but I bet they get a good razzing by colleagues friends and family for a while. lol

• Image_max50

LanaNJ

WHOA........ This Gator might have fooled Steve Irwin Himself! I thought I definately could identify a real "Herp" as opposed to a Cement one, but that prop looks HELLA REAL!

Must see so I'm Bumping the Link: http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/06/02/independence-police-shoot-co...

• Me_max600_max50

patrickT

LOL

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

I think I know what he's getting for Christmas....

"All right, all right, that was six months ago! Who bought me the stuffed alligator?!"

Too funny! How can kill an object that's not even alive? lol!

• Az_phx_motorcade1a_max50

Bury

BIG BUMP to bmosley136!!

• Crumb_passin_thru_02_1__max50

mz66

No offense intended, j0ksta--but first requirement for croc hunters is that you know the difference between a croc and a gator, then you move on to more advanced topics like the difference between concrete and flesh. ;)

• 3225_541527388055_44403931_31987246_224403_n_max50

j0ksta2000

so that's how you get the name "the Croc hunter"/ crocodile dundee lol

• Segway-police-unit-china_max50

foxblood

That's pretty funny! Show's these guys are on their toes at least! :) haha

• Bald-eagle-in-flight_860_max50

GrayPanther

Tkoop, what are you doing here? Just thought I'd ask. There are plenty of horrid things LEOs see - they tend to find comedy in places most citizens would consider odd or offensive. Try to talk less and listen more, if you stick around.

• Swat_logo_max50

bmosley136

I think you need to reevaluate yourself Tkoop. I see that you are concern with police actions, as we all are. But, you seem to have a habit of categorizing us all as corrupt. Maybe along with running your mouth you shoud do a little research and find some numbers (factual, not made up) that support some of your claims. You are a member of the Founder's Compass, I assume because of pics you uploaded. If you are concerned about the betterment of our Great Nation, then throw some supportive comments in with all of your negativity. There are plenty of articles that are of positive actions of our brothers and sisters in blue that you can praise. God Bless.

• Cpusey-001_max50

Chief171

LOL.. Would love to see the pics of this one...

• Img_20111016_163737_max50

DDemlong

Well, at least it would be dead if it was alive.

Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Opinions vary on arming URI campus police", 1 minute ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 commented on: "Shetland Uncledennis1", 2 minutes ago.
Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Calif. Prison Officials Search For Missing Inmate", 3 minutes ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 commented on: "Johnny Etter,Jr.", 6 minutes ago.
Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "LAPD Officer Among 6 Injured After 3-Vehicle Crash in Nor...", 6 minutes ago.