News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Police Hunt Kidnapper Of Baby Stolen From Bassinet

The Daily Mail via YellowBrix

May 27, 2011

KNIGHTSEN, CA – A huge police search is under way after a four-month-old baby disappeared from her parents’ home overnight.

Little Ramy Amadea Gallego, was last seen in her bassinet at about 10pm on Saturday night, when she was put to sleep at her home in the eastern Contra Costa County town of Knightsen, California.

Although she was sleeping in the same room as parents Kristin and Rudy, her mother woke up early on Sunday morning to find her child had been taken.

Police immediately responded to the mother’s call for help and are searching the home and the surrounding area.

A helicopter and dogs are also being used, and telephone notifications have been sent to nearby residents.

The infant’s adoptive grandfather, Phil Storrer, made an emotional appeal for her return.

‘Just whoever has her, please bring her back safely as soon as possible,’ he said.

Family friend Linda Matienza added: ‘The baby was in her basinette, next to mom’s bed and mom woke up at six o’clock in the morning and the baby was gone and the back door was open.’

Screen_shot_2011-05-23_at_10

Four-month-old Ramy Amadea Gallego

About 100 deputies and volunteers searched the residence and the area with K9 units and by air.

‘This has some suspicious elements but not enough for us to say that it’s an abduction,’ Contra Costa Sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Lee said.

‘We just don’t know at this point. That’s why we’re checking everything and talking with the parents before we can make that determination.’

‘I think somebody came into the house and took the baby out. That’s the only thing that it could be,’ said family relative Heather Phillips.

‘Kristin and Rudy, they’re just not that type of people. People say, “Why weren’t you watching your kid? It was right next to you.” And, he said the same thing. He’s like, “I know. You’re probably asking me how did this happen?” He said, “Somebody came into the house and took the baby.” And, they sleep very soundly, both of them. They’re heavy sleepers.’

The girl went missing at a residence on the 1500 block of Tule Lane in Knightsen.

Community and church members have prepared posters with Gallego’s picture to post in the area.

A command centre has also been set-up at Knightsen Elementary School at 1923 Delta Road.

The child weighs 14lbs, has dark hair and blue eyes, and was wearing a one-piece, zip-up outfit in pink, green and blue pastel colours.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at (925) 646-2441.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

The baby is safe at home. Great news.....

• 10

MockTertl

some peep are just plain not right in the head ... glad the baby is safe at home now ... and hope she stays safe!

• Jojo_max50

Depjo5

Baby was kidnapped by her paternal grandmother. The grandmother, 58 yoa, tried to pass it off as her own, even going so far as to have a baby shower for herself. Baby is safe at home.

• 138f8481-ffcf-4a8d-a670-1d1606d5df00_max50

gerpet1964

I maybe on meds but even my fuzzy brain is saying something is not right about this. My Prayers and thoughts are for the child's safe return.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Prayer for a safe and fast return. I'm trying to keep a open mind, but I don't like this story one bit.

• Wolf_max160_max50

THIRDWATCHNORTH

If it happened as reported then my heart goes out to those folks.

• Sparkle_girl_max50

Katz

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the story. You sleep that soundly, then how did she feed the baby during the night when it woke up for a bottle, or a diaper change? What did she do let it go hungry, dirty diapers until morning. Just saying, if you don't wake up if someone comes into your house and right up to your bed and take your child because you are such a sound sleeper..then you wouldn't wake up to care for it otherwise. To many cases where parents or couples are doing harm to the child and saying it disappeared. This just seems like a made up story to save their butts. If I'm wrong...(and God I hope I am) my heart will go out to them, and I pray the child is found safe and returned. Otherwise, I pray the truth comes out and the guilty ones punished.

• Fallenherobadge-3-1_max50_max50

CAZ

My prayers are with this little for a speedy and safe return home.

• 582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max50

LanaNJ

Bump Redsky. Somethings wierd.
    Hope detectives are checking to see if there's an insurance policy, or an unexplained amount of cash flowing into the home, who knows if they sold the baby. If they are on any meds such as hypnotics such as Ambien, Lunesta or OTC sleep aid such as Sominex, they are soon to realize that Parenting and Sleeping pills don't mix. When Hypnotics are at their "peak", they will erase that point and time of your memory. Then It could be a kidnapping, or an Animal . Either way, I would not want to be in these parents shoes.

• C1__67__max50

Redsky

rsironron

Something about this story doesn't sound good. I pray the baby is okay.

• Pic-0246_max50

CPD82

the baby was right next to them in their room? they didnt hear a door being open or footsteps? not even something as small as a breeze coming through the house with the door opening. nobody in the neighborhood saw or heard anything suspicious? definitely more questions need to be answered. even the sheriff's spokesman said it cant even be called an abduction. waiting to see how this one plays out

• Dolphins_fantasy_max50

dolphinblue

I woke up with the least slightest sound. I hope and pray the baby is safe.

• Detective_3_max50

copper7653

I agree with the rest of you. My wife would wake up at the smallest sound the baby would make, how does someone walk into the room and take a baby without Momma waking up, I agree sounds a little fishy to me as well. I would bet as time rolls on someone in the family will be arrested for the death of this baby. I hope not but, well I am just saying.

• Me2__1__max50

Avacop310

I woke up to every little grunt and sigh Athena made and I too cannot wrap my head around the idea of them sleeping through something like this. Heck, even someone walking down the hall "tip-toeing" woke me up. This doesn't sound right. Hopefully, they are telling the truth, but this doesn't sound right at all.

Female_bodysurfer_max30
MarlyB posted in: "3 Word Response", 10 minutes ago.
Female_bodysurfer_max30
MarlyB posted in: "my husband just got violated.", 12 minutes ago.