News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

VIDEO: Officer Attacked While Booking Inmate

VIDEO: Officer Attacked While Booking Inmate

PoliceLink

May 19, 2011

CLEVELAND – Apparently, Anthony Thomas, 29, of Cleveland, was not happy about being arrested on charges of contempt of court on drunken driving and driving under suspension.

After Officer William Witt removed Thomas’ handcuffs to begin the booking process, Thomas jumped over the counter and started punching Witt. According to reports, as the two grappled, Witt said he could feel Thomas reaching for a gun. Witt couldn’t radio for help because his portable radio microphone had fallen from his shirt.

Eventually, Witt overtook Thomas, and other officers, hearing the commotion, rushed to help. Thomas now has assault on a police officer added to his charges.

swatj10

For starters the officer should not have had his back turned to this POS. He is very fortunate that things turned out as they did.

• 179933_10151238977434968_1861436431_n__1__max50

werm098

looks like Officer Witt took a while to realize the intensity of the situation until the suspect was reaching around his belt... At that point Witt took control and was able to get the suspect in a choke... Great Job Officer Witt!

Damifino

I don't get it. Why was the officer,who did a great job controlling this scum by the way,by himself to begin with ? Looks to me like a tragedy waiting to happen.

PD32

I'm my dept there are only 2 occasion when a prisoner leave the cells, for fingerprints and mugshot and bathroom. That's it, also we dont have our guns in arrest processing room. The officer did a great job, I wish we could still use chokeholds

• Image_max50

Book_Em_Mandie

Bfinch: I'm going to answer your Question.
    Have you ever tried finger/palm printing a person in handcuffs? Well if you haven't, it's difficult to almost impossible to get quality prints. Sure, you can print Joe Criminal, but AFIS identifies certain points in the prints, those are what's needed to make identification.
    And, when Booking, you need the Suspect to sign certain paperwork. They can refuse and that's fine. However, we have to afford them the option to comply with the Booking process.
    The Booking counter is set up all wrong in the vid. The Deputy should've never had his back to the Suspect. I have 3 Computers in my Office and I work alone. I keep a distance of about 10 feet between myself and the Suspect while going through the questions and what not. Then I have to move to another Computer to take the mugshot, at that point, I have the Suspect backup to a door, that seperates us again by at least 12 feet. He will remain there until all my paperwork is completed and it's time to sign.
    I will ask him if he intends to sign, if he says no, then he doesn't move from that door. If he says, I will stand on one side of the counter (about 4 ft. wide) and him on the other to sign the paperwork. Then we print and of course I stand very closely to the suspect for this part of the process. However, we've gone through the rest of the Booking process and I know have a "feel" for the Suspects behavior. If I feel nervous or threatened, I do call for a male Deputy.
    Hope that answers some lingering Questions... :o)

• 21_max50

philfroggy

Glad he was able to put him down.... Good work

• 20090228_2_max50

csgarcia

I am so glad the officer did not get hurt. Always remember when you put that uniform on, people will try to hurt you and sometimes try to kill you ( I know). Always remember the first rule of police work, (GO HOME AT THE END OF YOUR SHIFT ( ALIVE).

• Wolf_001_max50

Rogue1

Good job by officer Witt , glad you are ok. Lets hope they revamp the booking procedure. Deputies here wear a duress alarm for such an incident. You just pull a cord and everyone comes running. It would certainly seem prudent to always have two officers to one perp but during this time of so many cuts It may not always be possible for all departments.

• Image009_max50

Quintero

SOAB got his ass handed to him!

Great job in controling him and not giving up. . May need to think of keeping subjects more secure in the booking process.

radarcop

Thought he could take on a veteran police/corrections officer and got his butt kicked. Great job by the desk officer - obviously the POS picked the wrong guy - I salute you!

jpdsgtusmc

DAMN GOOD JOB! Let's see how the defense atty. handles this one...

bumer

good job c/os thats how you handle dirt , i wrok in jail and if they treat you like this dam we do the same . i been working for 22 years and seen alot of this . kick inmates butt.

southpawhawg

Way to T.C.B. Officer... job well done!

• Cop_car_night_max50

THOMASCOFFMAN

DOES THIS POS NOW KNOW THE MEANING OF POPO????????? yep!!!

072308_2015_00__max600_max30
kristi27 commented on: "kristina mutz", 5 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1394587715106_max30
Tysyty posted in: "3 Word Response", 16 minutes ago.
Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Man dies of electrocution on Keene State campus", 25 minutes ago.
Snoopy_6_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Distracted semi driver's crash is caught on video", 27 minutes ago.