News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Teen Charged with Killing Mom on Mother's Day

Associated Press

May 09, 2011

GREENVILLE, S.C. – A high school sophomore in South Carolina shot his mother to death and critically injured his brother after a family argument on Mother’s Day, police said Monday.

Joshua David McEachern, 17, was ordered held without bond on a murder charge after a brief court appearance. It was not clear if he had an attorney.

Sheriff’s deputies did not release details of the dispute that led to the shootings around 9:30 p.m. Sunday at the McEachern home in Greenville. They said 59-year-old Kathy McEachern was killed and 21-year-old Daniel McEachern was in critical condition. More charges were expected later Monday.

After the shootings, deputies said, Joshua McEachern called 911 and cooperated with authorities when they arrived but didn’t tell them why he shot his relatives.

Master Deputy Sam Cureton said authorities were working to find out where he got the gun. Cureton said authorities had no records of domestic disturbance calls at the family’s home, and McEachern had no previous arrest record as an adult or juvenile.

The teen’s grandmother told The Associated Press her grandson was a sweet boy but never seemed normal.

“I don’t know how to really say this, but he was a child that was not 100 percent, mentally,” Fran McEachern said from her home in Tifton, Ga.

She said her son and Kathy McEachern battled in court over custody of Daniel and Joshua after divorcing a decade ago. Their father saw his sons every other weekend, but their mother had primary custody.

As for her younger grandson, whom she last saw more than a year ago when the boys came to visit and fish in a pond near her home, Fran McEachern said she did not know if he had been on any drugs or medication.

“He was not normal to the degree of what he should be,” she said. “I really don’t know what created it. And somehow I don’t much want to know.”

No one answered the door at the split-level, red brick family home Monday afternoon, but drops of blood were smeared on the front door frame and on the stairs leading down from the front porch.

All of the windows were covered, some with blinds and some with sheets and blankets. But four long-stemmed red roses, still fresh, could be seen on the sill of a small window over the kitchen sink.

Kendra Garcia, who lives across the street, said she’d noticed both boys were often rude to their mother but did not expect the disputes to turn violent.

“I knew they were rude kids, but they seemed normal,” the 23-year-old stay-at-home mother said. “We would never think he would hurt his mother.”

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

A tragic story. Prayers for the victim.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

"He was a sweet boy"..............MY A$$...!!! He friggin shot his Mother on a day that most of us would charish our Moms to hold them in the highest regard.. And not to mention his brother..!! The little Ba$tard should face the harshest form of justice possible..!!! Nuf said..!!!!@#$#@!!!!!@!>>>>>!!@#$%&(....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 003_max50

jamason675

I wonder what makes young men or young woman angry enough to take the life of someone who gave them life? I wonder if I will ever understand Criminalogy I wish there was a answer for why people get that angry. I myself was a rebel child but I would never hurt my Mother or Father no mater what they did to me, that was just the respect I had and still do. I think there had to be family issues that will be brought up during the trial.

• Sparkle_girl_max50

Katz

Very Sad.

• Pro_max50

expsgt

Gross

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

Sad all around.

• Screen_shot_2011-04-10_at_8

T_9

Such a sad story. It is on the rise and it is disturbing. You never know where and when it is going to happen. I am glad that he decided not to turn on officers after the incident. I will be praying for his brother's recovery. May his mother rest in peace.

• 2011_range_day_2-19-10_max50

USLawman1983

If someone checks the numbers, I believe they'll find that "family annahilators" are on the rise. We had a similar case occur here a few months ago. I also think that the same kids that do these crimes are the same type kids that can end up being active school shooters. Just my 2 cents.

• Me_max50

lemmonw

so sad.

Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 posted in: "again the worst", 25 minutes ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 gave a thumbs down to The Topic "again the worst", 25 minutes ago.