News >> Browse Articles >> Military

Obama Says He Won't Release bin Laden Death Photo

Obama Says He Won't Release bin Laden Death Photo

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney tells reporters that President Barack Obama will not release photos of Osama bin Laden's body, Wednesday, May 4, 2011, during the daily briefing at the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

Associated Press

May 04, 2011

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Wednesday he’s decided not to release death photos of terrorist Osama bin Laden because their graphic nature could incite violence and create national security risks for the United States.

“There’s no doubt we killed Osama bin Laden,” the president said in an interview with CBS News. Obama said he had seen the death photo and there was no need to release the photograph or gloat. “There’s no need to spike the football,” he said.

The president said that for anyone who doesn’t believe bin Laden is dead, “we don’t think that a photograph in and of itself is going to make any difference.”

“There are going to be some folks who deny it. The fact of the matter is you won’t see Osama bin Laden walking on this earth again,” said Obama.

The president made his comments in an interview Wednesday with CBS’ “60 Minutes”. Presidential spokesman Jay Carney read the president’s quotes to reporters in the White House briefing room, ahead of the program’s airing.

• Crater_lake_2009_3_max50

LLW

@Robocop-it looks as tho he may cry!!!!

• 74596_129289523905506_927477597_n_max50

CadetAK

If the photo is released, how could we be able to tell it's him anyway if a Seal blew his brains out?

• Afintel_max50

JWR_TSGT_2011

Ok well so much for not commenting again. Robocop, I just want to point out that the numbers I provide were just an example and not meant to be taken seriously. It was to illustrate a point. A point that you missed. And that's ok. As I said, no one will ever 100% agree on here. But I for one do not want to see photos or vidoes of our soliders being kidnapped and beheaded due to this photo being released, and no one can say that wouldn't happen. We all know what these people are capable of. But keep lobbying to see the picture if you truly don't care. But I do care and I will not change my mind.

• Tribal_cat_tattoo__2__max50

Catwoman911

We are all entitled to our opinions now, aren't we! I am not a fan of our current President or the Administration. But, I feel like releasing pictures of Osama would not be in the best interest of our Country. Aside from that, there is already so much spam going around with fake pictures of him dead, what do you think would happen if those pictures were released? I understand that some of the public wants to see those pictures, and some may have the right to, but I don't believe, Robocop, that ALL of the public wishes to see them.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

I do not buy into this idea that because we killed him we will sustain 100 attacks but if we release the photo we will sustain 400. I think that we are going to sustain as many attacks as they possibly can, period, even if we had not killed Osama Bin Laden. Yes that is O-sama with an "O" and not a "U" just to distance the name from our current President. Notice I said we killed him as I fully believe we did just that. The only difference I see is that because we killed him they will try to move forward some attacks before they are really ready to carry them out which means it will be easier to ward them off.
    You are willing to show photos of dead Americans which i find offensive but not of a mass murderer which I find comforting to know he will never harm anyone again. The public wants to see his dead body so let them. What happened to a transparent Government? This is the most secretive and corrupt administration we have ever had!

batman21

What is funny is I got a pic that looks like a death pic one of the Seals or navy guys took with their cell phone. It may have been photoshoped but it is pretty graphic and I am sure the bad guys seeing it would get more pissed off and kill more Americans. A handgun round to the forehead looks bad even if it was just GOOD SHOOTIN!

• Afintel_max50

JWR_TSGT_2011

Ok I promise this will be the last I say on this topic, as at this point I really feel like people need to move on. I wasn't going to comment again, but I feel like people are just out to satisfy their own need to find closure. And I appreciate that, however, the fact remains that releasing this photo puts American lives at greater risk in Iraq and Afghanistan. As I said earlier, the war did not end Sunday with Osama's death. And yes, his death alone is enough to spark outrage and create further hostilities towards our troops. But this shouldn't be a case of "well our troops are already going to get attacked more, so show the photo anyway".

To put it into perspective: Let's say that 100 new attacks occur on our troops, just for the simple fact that Osama was killed. We release the photo and 400 more attacks occur. Using the logic that they were already getting attacked, so who cares, subjects our men and women in harms way to MORE attacks than they should have to deal with. I just don't see the logic in increasing our danger to our troops, just so we can say we say Osama with a hole in his head. X number of troops might get killed because of the photo, but who cares, we got to see it, right? Do you see where that is just an irresponsible line of thinking?

I won't say anything further on this because it is a little close to home for me. And everyone on this site is entitled to their opinions. No one will ever agree 100% but I would think we could all agree that any opportunity to save Amercian and Coalition Force lives is a good thing, even if we don't personally get what we want back here.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

BTW Look at the face of Jay Carney! Does that look like a defiant SOB that thinks his stuff doesn't stink? Really looking down on the 'little people' that dare to question anything he says.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

And so it starts.....Just release the damn photos and make the American people, or at least the vast majority, happy for a change.

• Derrick_max50

gradyg

Dacooli well written, Bush had to lie to get troops over in the middle east and get a US presence over there. I do not believe in much that I hear and only half of what I see. The truth will come out one day and then we will all know who covered what up. The media programs will never tell the truth because they will not be told the truth, only bits and pieces will ever be let out in the first place.

• Staving_boy_max50

DaCooli

I once gave President Obama the benefit of the doubt about the death, even though I had watched former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto, publicly state in an interview in 2007 (posted on YouTube) that Osama bin Laden was murdered by Omar Sheikh.

So now I'm watching Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC all spewing all these weird stories from a 20 minute Seals' gunfight with an UNARMED Osama bin Laden pushing his wife into one of the soldiers, getting shot in the head/eye in the process (while Obama and his peeps viewed the action from the White House); to a DNA test being done on the body to dumping the body in the sea AFTER confirming Muslim customary burial procedures. These idiotic stories came a day after Obama announced the death of bin Laden at 11:35pm EST on a SUNDAY night with a LARGE crowd shown cheering outside of the White House and other cities as if the recession had ended and every non-working adult American was rewarded a job and a "jump-start check" for $2500. I mean, this fiasco was extremely hard to watch considering those people were celebrating the death of a human-being that NO citizen in the USA can honestly say that they know without a doubt that the OFFICIAL story about 9/11 PROVES that Osama bin Laden (and HIS people) acted along in executing those plane hi-jackings! To add insult to injury, George W. Bush didn't see fit to show to pay homage to the families of the victims of 9/11 by declining an invitation to the Ground Zero wreath-laying ceremony. Geeeez!

To me, it seems as if Obama is simply a puppet and spokesperson for the International-Cartel of Bankers, Occultist and Satanists, which are actually the real controllers of most of the world's NON-thinking "sheeple".
    After 2009, I totally stopped believing the "OFFICIAL story" of the events that took place on 9/11 after seeing several videos (on YouTube) of the $500MIL skyscraper in Beijing being engulfed in flames for hours and NOT collapsing! BTW, the plane crash at the Pentagon showed no visual evidence of a crashed commercial plane anywhere, so I doubted that story from day one.

Somewhere in ALL public officials Oaths it says, "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." Only problem is that those Oaths become worthless when the DOMESTIC enemies becomes the majority and rise against the citizens, stripping each and every one of one's privacy, one's liberties, one's ability to enforce accountability, one's guns, and most importantly one's MIND: the ability to THINK for yourself! A revolution is in order and inevitable if humanity as a whole is to ever achieve real peace and tranquility.

• Derrick_max50

gradyg

I think he did right by not showing the pictures to the public. Barbarics shows their dead victims a civilized nation doesn't need to, the US doesn't need to stoop to their level. By not showing the pictures the US President Obama has shown the WORLD that we above the terrorist. For those who wants to see the pictures go climb back in the hole you crawl out fom under, would you want to see your love one with what left of their face after being shot in the head, I do not think you do END OF STORY. GOD BLESS the USA.

• Stmaarten2_max50

bumperdog831

i completely understand not wanting to put the photos out there. they will make trouble for the us if osama is as f***ed up as two shots to the left eye probably made him. that being said.........i wanna see that motherf***ers head in pieces and put a copy on my refrigerator

• Tribal_cat_tattoo__2__max50

Catwoman911

Bump JWR..
    cowatchu: The reason he was buried at sea was so there was no shine people could congregate.

• 1211120858_max50

FreezeP

The enemy knows we killed Osama, So i think by showing the photos will not piss them off any more than they already are. The only problem i have with this is we wasted taxpayer money to bury this POS at sea.I feel for the critters that eat on him. EXCELLENT JOB SEALS!!! i wish i had the abilities to become a seal.

Vpsomourningband_max30
DonnaLynn gave a thumbs up to The Post "Policelink, What happened", 2 minutes ago.
dtsi100 submitted the article: "Galway vs Tipperary Live GAA Football Stream online HD Vi...", 17 minutes ago.
Photo_user_banned_big
samarsheron5 submitted the article: "Hercules Movie Download Free Full HD", about 2 hours ago.
Untitledma28839986-0002_max30
Irishcop1961 gave a thumbs up to The Article "Winslow man sought in stabbing death arrested in Atlantic...", about 2 hours ago.