News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Video: Officer Punches Woman After Being Attacked

Video: Officer Punches Woman After Being Attacked

New York Daily News via YellowBrix

April 28, 2011

The Atlanta Police Department has launched an internal investigation after a shocking video surfaced showing a cop slugging a woman in the face during a late-night scuffle at an IHOP.

In the video, reportedly shot at 4 a.m. on Sunday at one of the pancake chain’s restaurants in the Buckhead neighborhood, two cops confront a young woman in a booth.

As one of the officers tries to yank the woman out of her seat, a girlfriend grabs the officer’s shoulder, prompting him to swat her away with a smack to the face.

The woman then flies into a rage, swinging wildly at the officer’s head. The officer ducks and then counters with a hard right cross to the woman’s jaw.

Amazingly, the petite brunette says on her feet, and the two officers wrestle her to the ground, before cuffing her and hauling her away in front of dozens of stunned diners.

Roberte Caban, who said she was the woman cops were trying to drag out of the booth, told Atlanta’s WSBTV television that she and her girlfriends were having coffee when an officer told them to keep it down.

“I felt so bad for her,” Caban said. “It was very obvious that the first officer had contained her. We knew Cynthia didn’t do anything. We didn’t know who he was, he didn’t say who he was.”

Caban said she was also arrested and that she and her friend spent more than a day in jail.

The woman took a swing at the cop after he smacked her during a confrontation with the friend. (YouTube)

Cops said they were investigating the incident.

“The matter has been referred to our Office of Professional Standards to determine whether department policies and procedures were followed. Further comment at this time would not be appropriate,” the Atlanta Police Department said in a statement.

• Phpthumbcaly7cox_max50

BraggMP

I hope his department doesent expect him to be a human punching bag , i would have defended myself also. The lady ask for it when she struck the officer. Good job !!

Gerard04363

maybe the guy needs boxing lessons, a right hook and he did not bring her down?????

1Tinman

I agree with Robocop33, and like him, I don't assume the officer did anything wrong or inappropriate. The technique robo described has never failed to work for me and I don't risk a broken hand or some nasty infection (or worst) from cutting myself on the persons teeth.
    Unfortunately, perception is definitely not on our side when we use force, so I have always looked at it from the viewpoint of what is most effective without the appearance of brutality. If nothing else will work due to the circumstances, then do what you must and sort it out later. Long gone are the days of taking the stand and saying "I did what had to at the time" being good enough.

• Good_ole_days_max50

latinrum

Don’t “F” with the Police. There is at least 3 females in the video that should have been arrested.

rsironron

Bump copper380.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

"Bump"copper380..!!

IT is obvious to any experienced Police Officer, that the Officer did what he felt had to be done at the time. And any opinion contrary to that, would indicate a great lack of hands on experience in these type of situations... I agree with BICE059 andJP503....

• Imag0250_max50

BICE059

Thumbs up to that officer for his actions!!!!!!!!!!! Granted it's not a preferred action, I'd rather see this officer judged by 12 then carried by 6, it's been a long stressful and unfortunate year for LEO's killed in the line of duty so far and I viewed the footage as he was doing what he had to do to go home safe...not to mention the officers were out numbered. Sure he could have gave her an OC bath or the "X-26 square dance" but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I BET SHE WILL NEVER SWING AT AN OFFICER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

These stupid chicken heads were clucking away at 4AM causing a public disturbance. Then black dress diva decides to rack up some sweet interfearance, assulting an officer, and disturbing the peace charge's to her record.
    That was awsome thanks that made my day.
    On a side note, The best way to show your panties to the world is in handcuffs while being ridden by an over weight uniformed officer. He shoudlve stopped and smiled for the camera. That one would make it to the posterboard at the station house ;-)

• Chris_and_i_in_uniform_max50

JP503

Bump Copper380.
    What do you mean it does not look good uncledennis1? The female came at the officer he was defending himself.

• Car_004_max50

copper380

2026 Comments

To much time is spent saying he should have done this....I would have done that............REALLY!! WHO F***ING CARES!! Was the officer justified or not.......YES HE WAS!! public opinion is important but so is respect for the men and women that do this JOB! This is where the administration should have the STONES to step up and say......screw the "investigation" look at the video and say JUSTIFIED PERIOD!!! Attack the police and all will be treated fairly/impartially,( man, women, trans, white, black, yellow, green with purple dots, gay straight, crooked, sideways) you will be taken down with force no matter who you are. It is only brutality if after you gain control you stick in that extra shot.....and if you do that than you are a disgrace to the badge and are no better than the scumbag that attacked you.

I am not a violent man but I refuse to be a punching bag. I was raised not to lay a violent or forceful hand on a women but at work I am not to see sex (defendant is defendant). It is a sin to kill but I will to defend another or myself.

we all have internal conflicts and we have a lot more at risk than other careers. In our line of work perception can end a career. Stop the attack or ......Worry about perception, if I do this what will the boss think, will I have a job tomorrow...... hesitate and get hurt?

We got complaints when one of our officers punched a man in the face.....people did not see that during the struggle that the suspect grabbed and attempted to get the officers gun. A punch never looks good and there will always be complaints.

GO HOME BREATHING AT THE END OF YOUR SHIFT.........the rest can be worked out later.

• Dsc_2788_max50

zavery

He did what he had to do, its hard to see what or where the woman was grabbing the officer. It makes me sick to see so many videos of police put into situation that make the officer look bad. When you did deeper you find out that the officer was in the right. People don't like the police because they see the police hampering there fun, if you don't like the laws in place don't look at the cops as your problem look at who you voted into office not the police

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

I finally viewed the video. Does not look good. I do hope for a follow up story. This will bring the lawyers out of the wood work.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

For those of you bumping my comments twisting what I said to meaning the Officer was wrong, no he wasn't! The female did obstruct justice and she should have been arrested and yes go [physical hands on. My statements were that because he wound up and slugged her in the face it is not going to go over well so he should have used another method before using his fist in her face. You may well ask what would I have done. Probably, and I say probably because I was not there or privy to the entire incident an words spoken. My actions would have been to use an open hand slap to just below her throat, grab her by the front of her shirt and put her to the ground and handcuff her. While the blow is forceful and hard it does not have the appearance of brutality that a punch in the face does. I also believe it would have been very effective kn0ocking the breath out of her and shocking her enough to immediately subdue her without further injury. You must always be aware of your surroundings, especially in today's world of video. I have punched a woman in the face etc on more than one occasion but the occasions was somewhat different than this. Use only the force necessary and if at all possible make sure the 'perception' of the use of force is below what most would expect. Looks and the perception are often all that matters to the general public.

• 582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max50

LanaNJ

@ PETE114~ in Food Service the "drunk Crowd" is persistant, biligerant, and very hard to deal with.BIG BUMP to you for pointing out, it doesn't matter what Race or Gender you are (Ever see a drunken Jets fan?) (Sorry Irishcop, I know that's your team...lol'z)

@oldtimer322, This is the reason I tell my daughters to humble themselves, and be respectful if they ever get pulled over. As for "snookie", I dont have much Sympathy for her either, I'm going to assume she is under the influence of liquid courage, and extending her arms was a bad move. To me(the Layman) The fierce left hook, seemed to come after the short armed Right. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think we all can agree that This video leaves alot of unanswered questions.

@Tassin2164~Who says that Al Sharpton wouldn't defend her? Hell, he would love the opportunity to go running his big mouth, and promoting his buffoonery! However,whostill cares about tired a$$ Al Sharpton anymore. Haven't heard him mentioned since the popularity of the "pager"

I want officers to be safe, to me the ones at my job are like family, as well as my gaurdian angels. Sometimes in Management or a Leadership role, we constantly have to think outside the box to diffuse a drunken Patron, or a BF, GF squabling and fighting on the concourse. I try alot of techniques, and out of almost 11 years I have never been hit by a Patron, and I can count on one hand how many times I had to alert security, (now medics, thats a whole different story...) Maybe our careers are different, but we both are in Charge of diffusing Conflict. I know things could only be peachy cream in a perfect world, but I've always been under the impression that Leadspersons and LEO's shared the same goal, which is to avoid conflict before it escalates?

I still support my LEO's, %110, and I thank you for your service, hopefully you've already heard that today.

• Prince_hall_max50

onetime

That woman had no business obstructing the officer while he was discharging his duties. The only problem I have with the whole incident is that he didn’t knock her butt out. A woman will hurt you just as quick as a man if not quicker. I always tell them “onetime” then my girlfriend “act rite” comes out and speaks for me. I just hope his department stands by him.

milanshealy posted: "Look Younger and Glowing", 14 minutes ago.
milanshealy posted in: "Look Younger and Glowing", 14 minutes ago.
Lady_jessie_max30
TheSarge posted in: "In search of advices", 32 minutes ago.
Lady_jessie_max30
TheSarge posted in: "my husband just got violated.", 34 minutes ago.
Dennisandalixis received the quiz result of "You did not receive a passing score", 36 minutes ago.