News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Cop Favorite Crown Vic Retiring; Cruisers Get New Look

Cop Favorite Crown Vic Retiring; Cruisers Get New Look

The Charlott Observer via YellowBrix

April 19, 2011

DEARBORN, MI – The Ford Crown Victoria, the queen of all police cruisers for many years, has reached the end of the road.

As a testimonial to her departure, law enforcement agencies across the nation are taking no chances on Victoria’s replacement by purchasing the current model at a near record pace.

This is called customer satisfaction with a product, a major goal of all business owners. Plus the fact that buyers of police cruisers are not certain about the performance of replacements, which are coming on the market this year.

It is a coincidence today’s police car column is around the time state and federal taxes were due.

Car and Driver magazine has a fine in-depth report on new police cruisers from Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. Hopefully you will not see them hugging your rear bumper with blue lights flashing. Replacing the Crown Victoria is a new Police Interceptor-branded Taurus. It has “cop tires, cop suspension and cop shocks,” and it can survive an offset hit to the rear from a car moving at 75 miles per hour without spilling any gas.

Making Black-and-Whites has been good business for Ford, especially since GM retired its body-on-frame, rear-drive Caprice in 1996. With sales of about 32,000 units last year -– but more typically 40,000-45,000 a year at an average price of $23,000 before equipment add-ons -– the police version of the Crown Victoria enjoyed 70 percent of the market.

Facing competition from GM and Chrysler, Ford is hoping that momentum will help keep police fleet buyers in Ford’s tent as the company transitions to a front-drive (and all-wheel-drive) unitized body.

There will be three versions for the new Taurus-based Police Interceptor sedan. The most basic will have about 285 horsepower from its 3.5-liter V-6, front-wheel drive and column-shifted six-speed automatic. Ford expects most customers will skip the front-drive version and opt for all-wheel drive.

For highway patrol units looking for faster intercept speeds, there’s a SHO-based, 365 hp, turbocharged EdoBoost V-6 AWD sedan.

Compared with its civilian cousin, the Interceptor has quite a few changes under the skin. Heavily reinforced front and rear subframes absorb more punishment: An Interceptor can allegedly hit a curb at 40 mph without damaging anything but the wheel and tire.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is restyled for 2011. Dodge calls the Pursuit a “menace to those who menace.” And the new design, again courtesy of Car and Driver, arguably makes the Charger even more menacing than ever. A 291 hp V-6 is good for an 8.7-second run to 60 mph in Michigan State Police-testing. If that is not quick enough, a 370 hp V-8 can do it in 6.2 seconds.

When it comes to pricing, Dodge choose the right to remain silent, but V-6s probably will go for $25,000; and V-8s likely to start at $31,000.

Chevrolet’s cop-only Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) is GM’s first rear-drive police car (and Caprice) since the whale-like 1996 Caprice.

Based on a long version of the Pontiac G8’s Zeta unibody platform, the PPV comes with a 335 hp, 6.0-liter V-8 and six-speed automatic. The Michigan State Police got a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds.

In early 2012, a 3.6-liter V-6 version with about 300 horses arrives. Pricing starts at $30,995, but police usually get a discount.

• 41aimo1g97l__sx355__max50

Bravo226

I have had the opportunity to drive the Crown Victoria, Impala and Charger. I must say that the Crown Vic is definitely the better of the police vehicles for the past several years. While I am excited to see the big 3 making “purpose built” police vehicles now; I must say that the Crown Vic’s retirement feels just like a famous rock star going away forever.

talkdatshyt

I have been on the job in NJ for a little over 16 years. I've driven the old box style chevys, the last of the caprices and the crown vics.in my early years, I always hated the crown vics back in the day when we had a choice of which cars to take out. The crown vic got better over time, however I'm looking forward to seeing what chevy can pull out of its hat.

• Police_car_max50

MidnightMike

Having had both the Crown Victoria and an Impala, the Crown Victoria wins hands down. Enough space for me and my gear, room for a shield AND a prisoner in the back seat, and dependable. My Impala is cramped, with no leg room at ALL for my left leg.The back seat is almost unuseable with the shield installed, and I have been through multiple batteries, and alternators, along with a second A/C unit. Zero trunk space--too shallow for a standard plastic equipment box. No wonder the Crown sold so well for so long.
    Neither one will set any speed records, but that's not a primary concern for most of us any more. We need a work horse, not a race horse. Be interesting to see how this plays out in the next year or two.

GodblessTexas

I got a 2010 Crown Vic, I nick named her "last of the Mohicans", it's the last of her kind!

• Me2_max50

bstites

I was hoping to be a cop and drive a crown vic. but I guess we are just going to have to stick with the tahoes we are getting :)

• 25-1-13-a_1__max50

SkoolCop

Let me just say that the ONLY reason the Crown Victoria was a "Cop Favorite" is because no other car manufacturer had created a viable alternative until Dodge put together a police package for the Charger. While GM has more recently re-entered the market, they have not come up with anything worth looking at yet either. Let's face it, the Malibue / Impala and the new Ford offering they are calling the "Taurus Sho" is just too small and a V-6 (naturally aspirated or supercharged) is still just a V-6. Anything with a V-6 will end up in the shop more than it will on the road and will be an expensive fix........ NOT what I would call viable or reliable as an alternative. Having said all of that, until I read this article, I had not yet heard of the GM offering the V-8....... We'll just have to wait and see.

• Steve_mcqueen_max50

ilegworldchamp

I spent a lot of time in a one way conversation with the people at Carbon Motors "AS AN INVITED GUEST ON THE BOARD". I never got any response about the draw backs with that "PIECE OF JUNK". It is nothing but bells and whistles 'AND HAS NO PRIORITIES FOR THE SAFETY OF THE OFFICER". There is a reason the doors on that car are "LISTED AS SUICIDE DOORS" ! It is a lot of hype and no "PRACTICAL WORK RELATED TESTING ON THE STREETS" .. JMHO
    Others have their own opinions on this car , "BUT NOTHING IS BACKED UP BY STREET PROVEN ABILITIES , ONLY HYPOTHETICAL ENGINEERING PROGNOSTICATIONS" !

• Untitled_max50

arcangel24

What about Carbon Motors E-7? That car is awesome. Why hasn't this car been brought up more? It seems like the only cars being talked about are from Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Don't get me wrong. I like those companies and think most of the cars being brought out could work out very nicely depending on where you work. I'm just wanting to know more about Carbon Motors E-7 and why no one seems to be talking about it. I think that car has great potential, but thats just my 2 cents. I mean come on, the cup holders are heated haha.

bluebrother

Drover one for over 25 plus years. The old vic got the job done.

• Nose_max50

RecoilOperated

The beginning of the article should read St. Thomas, Ontario instead of Dearborn, MI. There hasn't been a Crown Vic made in the USA since 1992.

ta64747

Time to think about quad cab pickups for police service. They offer a wide variety of applications. They our built tougher.They have plenty of room in the cab and good rear seat prisoner transport, even though I prefer a Paddy Wagon .Then you have plenty of storage in the rear bed for emergency equipment.

• Steve_mcqueen_max50

ilegworldchamp

Time for all departments to form a coalition and purchase a "PADDY WAGON" for prisoner transport and confinement to the station after an arrest is made . The Departments can then start purchasing the present day rear wheel drive "MUSCLE CARS ON THE MARKET" like Camaro , Mustang , Charger , to keep up with the cars on the road. A little outside the box thinking but a realistic way to keep driving rear wheel drive pursuit type vehicles and other means of transporting prisoners to lock up with certain jurisdictions.

• 1393794_10151798561878138_392793313_n_max50

Blueblood1974

We have some of Volkswagen. in our department but we still have a lot crown vics.

• Draped_badge_max50

184retired

I hate the Crown Vics...If you have a back injury they are really aggrivating..Have heard the same from many people.

• Suit_max50

cmm07r

I've been in all the civilian versions except for the Caprice (police only vehicle) I would really like to check that out but I will always prefer the Crown Vic. I will say the Taurus is very roomy but when I sat in it it seemed a little too roomy; I sunk into the seat and was amazed how high the dashboard was on me. Gear shifter was a little high too but it was a center console shifter not a column so idk.

Photo-editor-plus-1397671581652_max30
Tysyty is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 12 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1397671581652_max30
Tysyty is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 13 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1397671581652_max30
Tysyty is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 13 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1397671581652_max30
Tysyty is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 13 minutes ago.
Photo-editor-plus-1397671581652_max30
Tysyty is ranked No.1 for the day in PoliceTrivia, 14 minutes ago.