News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Police Forced to Pepper Spray Unruly Second-Grader; Mother Claims Excessive Force

Video Capture

The Daily Mail

April 06, 2011

An eight-year old boy named Aidan was pepper sprayed by Lakewood, Colorado police after acting up in a classroom.

Teachers had barricaded themselves in after the second-grader threw a violent temper tantrum.

Aiden, whose last name was not revealed to protect his privacy, had torn a piece of wooden trim off the walls and was wielding it like a weapon, according to a police report filed about the incident at Glennon Heights Elementary on February 22.

He also threw a television and was threatening to kill the teachers. When police arrived, a spokesman said, they felt they had no option but use use the pepper spray on him.

Aidan told local 9 News, ‘It burned my eyes, and I couldn’t see.’

He was reportedly treated for minor skin irritation.

This was the third time police had been called after Aidan’s temper tantrums, although his mother, Mandy, is criticizing the police for what she considers excessive force, and for treating her young son ‘like a common criminal.’

According to the police report, Aidan ‘was climbing the cart and spitting at teachers. He also broke wood trim off the walls and was trying to stab teachers with it.’

‘I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them," Aidan said. ‘I was going to try to whack them with it.’

After he refused to obey police, they sprayed him with pepper spray two times. He dropped the stick, and they handcuffed him.

Lakewood police are defending their actions. Aidan was placed on a ‘mental health hold’ and was transferred to a school for children with behavioural issues.

Aidan’s mother told 9 News that her son had been seeing a doctor, but has not been diagnosed with mental problems and is not on medication.

‘I have some anger things,’ the child admitted. ‘I don’t think they’re ever going to go away.’

• Socrates_max50

dochudon

6 months ago

As I have explained to many parents, mental health issues are dealt with AFTER Public Safety is re-established if your child is a physical threat to others police are going to deal with the threat first. Priority of Concern is as follows Victims - Officers - Perpetrator

• 100_0630_max600_max50

JonH7

about 1 year ago

I would have sprayed him too... I pray that boy gets the help he needs.

• Dove7_max50

Deltaboy1984

over 1 year ago

40 years ago a Teacher would have just grapped her Paddle and applied it to his backside and ajusted his anger issue.

• Segway-police-unit-china_max50

foxblood

I say we shoot the little jerk in knee cap. He didn't obey the police, and he had a weapon.

• Sspx0013_-resized_max50

1good1bad1ugly

Make that a thumbs down for the comments of the Mom, not for the conduct of LE.

• Sspx0013_-resized_max50

1good1bad1ugly

bump PCSO_P44 If he is like this in school can you imagine what he must be like at home?? I think the safety of the teachers and other students were a first priority. I think the LEO's did exactly the right thing. With that in mind I'm giving this a thumbs up for LE doing what they thought was best given the situation. I think he would be too young to be tazed and that would sure open up a can of worms for the mom to bring a lawsuit against the PD. To me, after all the threats he was making, I think they made the right decision, and acted with restraint. If he were my kid I would have given him a good a** whoppin when I got him home. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." I'll bet the mom tries to "reason" with this kid when he's acting out. "Come on now, honey. What did Mommy say about threatening people? That's not nice."

• Muscle_on_muscle_max50

Parademon1

I woulda tazed him!

• Erin222_max50

Kitten81

I love what SCATX43 said.....another thing that came to mind is, maybe this kid needed to see that he can't act like a little monster whenever he wants and just "be talked down from it" each time. Maybe being pepper sprayed was what the doctor ordered. I wonder if something is literally chemically wrong in his head...... or if he's just an out of control kid who is used to his mom sitting there and defending him. At the end where he said "it's just who i am"....to me that sounds like a thought an adult put in his head. Little kids don't talk like that....probably something he heard his mom saying to play down how out of control he is.

Another BUMP to SCATX43

• Add_max50

manintan

Bump SCATX43. This kid needs proper discipline. And if that dosnt work then the proper meds.

• Me_aloof_1_max50

lilweir09

BUMP SCATX43!! You read my mind!

• Skull_max50

DenverHammer

This lady has already made all the TV shows she can make. I have an idea, its just a little common sense called take responsibility for your kid. Spank him when needed. Praise him when he does good. Don't blame the cops for doing their jobs.

• Kimber_ultra_cdp_max50

jctruth1

This is the product of Psycho. Spock who said that spanking a child would warp his personality. Well, apparently this little boy needs a warped personality then. Social Services says that spanking a child is teaching them violence. It's obvious that this little boy learned his words and violence somewhere. Children don't act and talk this way normally unless they have heard and seen this. I was probably 4 or 5 when I received my first spanking. It must have been a VERY SLOW news day. KUSA channel 9 is usually better than this in their reporting.

• Image_max50

LCSO_165

Let's review ... the police have been called on little Satan 3 times, teachers are barricading themselves due to his violent behavior and all this pathetic excuse for a mother wants to talk about is how the police treated her son like a "common criminal"?? Open your eyes, princess - your child is a holy terror and on the fast track to a career making license plates. If I'd ever acted up at school, the pepper spray would've been the least of my worries ... my father would've beaten me within an inch of my life when I got home. Parents like this winner are what's wrong with this country - stop making excuses and discipline your crayon eating, window licking children or don't act surprised when law enforcement decides it's time for a friendly "come to Jesus meeting"!

• Kevlar_max50

Twisted_dispatcher

Hey Aidens Mother: Its YOUR fault your son acts like an idiot! And ANYTIME you want someone to straighten his ass out, CALL ME! He will be a changed kid !