News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Former SWAT Officer Killed by Deputies Called to Home

Former SWAT Officer Killed by Deputies Called to Home

Craig Brewster Thompson [Lexington County Sheriff's Dept.]

The State via YellowBrix

March 24, 2011

LEXINGTON COUNTY, SC – A Lexington County man and former sheriff’s deputy is dead after a deputy-involved shooting.

A domestic dispute between Craig Brewster Thompson, 43 and his wife resulted in a call to the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department around 10:50 p.m. Thursday, the sheriff’s department said.

Investigators say the wife left the home for a neighbor’s house to call authorities. She told dispatchers Thompson had been drinking wine and was armed with a gun. She said he could get more inside their home, where he had barricaded himself and the couple’s two 4-year-old twin daughters.

A sheriff’s department supervisor was able to speak with Thompson in the home and asked him to leave or let the children leave. Thompson refused. The supervisor said he heard Thompson, a former Lexington County deputy, loading a weapon during the conversation. He said he was prepared to kill if deputies tried to get to him.

At that point, a Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) was brought to the home. At 3 a.m., Thompson walked out of the house, where SWAT offers Lt. Thomas Hamilton and K-9 Unit deputy R.D. Longshore met him to arrest him.

Thompson was carrying a knife and several firearms, and attacked Hamilton with the knife, the department said. Longshore fired his service weapon at Thompson, who was hit and transported to Palmetto Health Richland. He was pronounced dead at 4 a.m.

Lexington County Coroner Harry Harmon said Thompson died from extensive bleeding. The wound entered his right shoulder, lungs and aorta.

Following standard practice for officer-involved shootings, the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the incident, the sheriff’s department said.

Hamilton, 41, of Cayce, and Longshore, 33, of Chapin, are on administrative duty during the investigation. Hamilton has been on the force since November 1999 and Longshore since April 2003.

Thompson was with the department from September 1989 to December 1999, when he resigned as a detective. He also had been a SWAT officer, the department said.

• Frezh_max50

SPCMPHERSON

I'm trying to figure out what influenced the Lt to get so close to where he was in range of being stabbed by Thompson. This was just ignorant and i think could have been handled in a different way. Although this guy knows the force inflicted when using a weapon against the law enforcers. But if Lt. Hamilton got this close i thing the Taser should have been the immediate thing to do to prevent them from shooting the Guy.

• Green-lantern-batman1_max50

cmac1973

Bump

• Dscn0533_max50

BarbMarch58

BUMP to all who believe this to be a "10-56 by Cop." I can't imagine the feelings that go through the LEOs who are "used" by others to commit this act.

I'm not trying to ramp up the heat on this discussion, but I'm curious. Would this have been a fact pattern better handled with tasing?

• 20140214_120713-1_max50

PRO1000

ssu459

Yes Sir Im with you.

Sounds to me like suicide by cop.He had to know what would happen when he did what he did.

• Ba_old_glory_max50

Jonas

Sad. Prayers for family and friends.

• French_chopper_seat_max50

mitrocop

@BradyDPS - I completely understand what you are saying regarding double standards which sometime come to the surface after incidents like this one, but remember that - even though we are held to a higher standard, we must also endure higher levels of stress and critical factors than most professions. Now, I am in NO WAY condoning anything Craig did (please don't misconstrue) but I can honestly tell you, something had to definitely affect him severely over the past several years, as he was one of the best K9 officers at LCSD when I interned there @ USC senior year in the spring of '94, and as a result, he was the deputy with whom I completed the most ride-alongs and spent the most time conducting field research alongside, a year before I made the leap into LE. His Shepherd Falco was the biggest, baddest, most effective K9 on the force back then (over 100 lbs) and I can still recall how sore my arm was after wearing the sleeve during bite work training on night shifts with them.

And though his actions were horrible and inexcusable - a fact no matter by whose hands they were committed - I still feel a sense of sorrow for a guy who I remember as young, proactive, and really excited by the job back in the day...which only strengthened my own motivation to enter LE after graduation. We can only wonder at what factors caused him to "go over" the edge into the dark abyss, but are thankful that he did not make those final steps with the true intention on "taking as many with him" as possible...but he was intent on 10-88 by cop, that's all we know for sure.

• Headshot_max50

HeadShot

I agree bradydps, I have no sympathy for someone who does what he has done. There are so many other options in life before terrorizing your family. He should've just killed himself and been done with it, then the "I feel sorry for him" comments could flow, and be ok.

I'm concerned by comments on here. If this had been a dope dealer, people would be cheering "good shoot.' Since he was a former Law Enf Officer, people say pray for him, he had problems with alcohol, stress, etc. This piece of trash TERRORIZED his poor, innocent twin daughters and his wife, and he also put other law enforcement officers in jeopardy. The only people I feel for is his daughters and the officer who shot and killed him!!!!

RetCincyDisp

So sorry to know a former LEO lost his life but thankful he took no one with him. Condolences to his family. My heartfelt prayers for all officers involved in this unfortunate incident.

• Draped_badge_max50

184retired

TX45 your right....Wouldn't bother me a bit...Him or me I'm going home at the end of the shift...

• Dolphins_fantasy_max50

dolphinblue

Such a sad and difficult situaiton. Prayers to his family and to the deputies.

• Vpsomourningband_max50

DonnaLynn

It's sad that one is put in this situation, but even worse when it's an former LEO or a LEO. My prayers to the deputies, his wife and family. I hope they all heal from this mess.

• Dad_max50

GMcAvin

The officers did their sworn duty and are justified in their reaction. It does appear that Thompson wanted to eat his gun but couldn't. And he knew what would happen as he started the events that led to his demise. As a former SWAT officer, he knew the consequences of his actions. Not a good situation for all specifically for the two daughters. Sad day in law enforcement.

• French_avatar_max50

fletc

Oh my God, I feel for Hamilton and Longshore. I can't imagine being in that position, I think it would mess me up for life.

Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Local LA City Council To Pay $5M In Death Of Veteran Shot...", 3 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Brothers guilty in South Sacramento barbershop murder case", 5 minutes ago.
Ba_old_glory_max30
Jonas submitted the article: "Evolution of public-carry laws expands gun rights", 7 minutes ago.
Untitled_max30
ayomaju303 gave a thumbs up to The Article "http://garuda303.net/", 10 minutes ago.