News >> Browse Articles >> Crime News

Albany Police Arrest Own PIO In Drunk Driving Case

Albany Times Union via YellowBrix

March 19, 2011

ALBANY — Detective James Miller, a longtime spokesman for the Albany Police Department, was arrested on driving while intoxicated charges in downtown Albany Friday night.

Jimmy_miller_max200w

Jimmy Miller

Miller, who has been with the department for 19 years, was driving an unmarked departmental vehicle when he was stopped at about 9:25 p.m. near North Pearl and Orange streets by an Albany patrol officer, John Crossman. A person briefed on the arrest said Miller was stopped for allegedly driving without his headlights on. He allegedly refused to submit to an alcohol test.

A sergeant arrived to oversee the arrest and Miller was taken to the South Station and processed for the arrest before being released, according to Chief Steven Krokoff. Miller was ticketed for DWI, driving without headlights on and refusal to submit to a chemical test, the chief said.

Miller has been suspended without pay pending an internal investigation. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Albany City Court Monday morning.

• Does_this_ass_make_my_car_look_big_bumper_sticker-p128618847357252764tmn6_313_1__max50

dslow

Gestaltpolizen - I found your rant quite unbelievable so I did some research on the net. Maybe you should have also before spouting off. First, Det Miller was arrested so why say that there are two rules? Second I found no "arrest record" for officer Crossman nor any newspaper articles saying that Det. Miller was proclaiming such record. Actually in the paper they said Det. Miller was remorseful at his court hearing.
    Now, about the cop on 787 who you claimed was "tired". Well that "tired" cop was arrested that night for not getting enough ZZZZZZZZZZZ'S.

Now I got my supposed facts from the Albany paper. Not saying that they are 100% accurate but no paper is. Where did you get your "facts"?????

If you have read this whole thread then you know that I am not a proponant of what Det. Miller did. But what I hate even more are $h)t stirring cop haters like you.

Gestaltpolizen

Forget all this crap about brotherhood. The only reason this cop was arrested was because the cop who stopped him has been arrested a few times himself and kicked out of the union. He was just re-instated to the union. Now guess who was giving all the public information to the TV stations in Albany and to the Newspaers about the cop who did the arrest about his problems with being arrested several times? You guessed it. Detective Miller. Wnever a cop is caught drunk driving as what has already happened plenty of times in the Albany area, he is said to be "tired". They do not give him a breath test. Why? Because they know the next time it could be them who is stopped. Another cop who was off duty was caught driiving down south on a three lane highway RT 787 in the northbound lane at night. He could easily have kiilled a number of people in a head on. However, he was said to just be "tired". That was the end of it. There is one set or laws bit they do not apply equally. When it comes to cops and judges they are let off. Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't know whats going on.

• Thin_blue_line_max50

Radcop88

Shame on you Detective Miller! You not only broke the law but placed your department in a huge liability by driving a "company" car while drunk? Props to the arresting officer! Job well done!!

• Andrea_and_i_max50

corylovesandrea

Simply should have known better. I fight daily to lessen the amount of DUIs and illicit drug abuse and it hurts worse to hear that a LE brother is not following suit. Glad to see that proper protocol was followed.

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

Another career circling the bowl. He knew better and was in a department vehicle no less. The arresting officer did what he was required to do. If he had let this officer go and a more serious accident occurred, he would be out of a job and looking at some serious civil liability.

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

HUGE BUMP..!!! "dslow"

• Img_0103_max50

LAWMANTUKES

Call me "Old School" or whatever.... But I can't seem to forget the times when Police Officers took care of their own. And with that being said...., I do realize that no one is above the law. Can't help but think that their is something not being revealed here. If I were to take a guess, I would push towards the thinking that their was some bad blood between the forces at work here, and Detective Miller.

Stoke work Officer Crossman

• Mardi_gras_cat_max50

DonnaLynn

There is a vast difference between not writing a citation for a minor infraction and this. I do feel like a lot of info is missing... I'll wait for the rest of the story.

• Us_max50

Lmcliffe

I LOVE the integrity is this. Great work!

npd783

Well done Officer Crossman.

• Dscn0533_max50

BarbMarch58

Hats off to Officer Crossman! The public at large always thinks that LEOs can get away with all types of criminal activities as long as they flash that badge. I've told many folks that that is simply not true - although it does happen sometimes and it's wrong. Also. who knows? He may have saved the detective's life? He may have caused the detective and counselors to look into serious concerns that need to be addressed? NO ONE is immune from addiction - or maybe this was one wild night out - but a life was likely saved.

• Snoopy_6_max50

Jonas

I agree, good job Officer Crossman.

Dslow is correct with some of his information but not all of it. Refusals do not always get arraigned immediately. My department does not....Very interesting to me the difference in opinions. I

• Baghdad_country_club_2_max50

Snowflake

Having been the victim of a drunk driver myself, I cannot sympathize with the Detective. The arresting officer did his job and may have prevented something worse from happening. In this case, the Det. will have to face judicial and departmental sanctions. That is a lot better than having him hurt/kill someone.

Good job Officer Crossman.

Walther_ppk_pic_max600_max30
KRG123 commented on: "Brighteyes63", 1 minute ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 posted in: "3 Word Response", 5 minutes ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 posted in: "Happy Easter", 7 minutes ago.
Star_max160_max160_max30
klamm143 posted in: "Happy Easter", 8 minutes ago.
NCGirl2009 posted in: "Happy Easter", 15 minutes ago.