News >> Browse Articles >> Op / Ed

From 9/11 Heroes to Greedy Public Servants? No!

From 9/11 Heroes to Greedy Public Servants? No!

Rutherford P.O. Nick Loizzi

Rutherford P.O. Nick Loizzi On Behalf of CliffviewPilot.com

March 11, 2011

Read the original article at CliffviewPilot.com

How times have changed. Remember 9/11? A mere 10 years ago, people were applauding cops and firemen as we went about our duties. Many of us were thanked for “being there.” Now what’s happening?

I went to WTC the day of the attack. I returned during the recovery — on my own time. Many of the people who responded developed long-term terminal illnesses. Some of those have died. For a short time, it was a good thing to be a cop or a fireman.

I haven’t changed. If the attacks occurred today, I would still rush in while millions rush out. The same goes for most of us – despite what the public thinks.

I’m also not “greedy.”

I agree that the costs have gone up. I will NOT, however, take responsibility for the atrocious mismanagement of the pension system by the government and municipalities.

I made my pension contributions while they stopped making them. I stood up and questioned the State when they took the money out of the system to use elsewhere. I railed against the “pension holidays” that allowed the lack of payments into the system.

I do not qualify for Social Security and am not permitted to go into a 401K. The pension system is all I have — except for welfare, and some of you undoubtedly would call me a leech if I ever went that route.

No one likes the way the economy has turned. I have family members suffering through this, as well. But, when the economy was gaining double-digit percentage points, my raises weren’t even close.

In plain language: While the private sector was getting 10-15% raises, I was getting 3-4%.

I also will not take responsibility for the disgraceful rise in health care costs. The insurance companies who back Christie are the ones responsible — but you don’t see him going after them for their outrageous rates, do you?

My union has already agreed to 0% increases and has given concessions to save jobs. I and many of my fellow public servants have said we’d be willing to discuss contributing toward my healthcare.

But nobody talks about that. We are just “greedy.”

When (not if) the next attack occurs, my brothers and sisters will be there, just like we are when you dial 9-1-1 or stop us on the street when you are in trouble.

Some of us still do it with a smile. All of us do it with pride in serving the public.

Don’t call me greedy. Call me Officer.

Officer Nick Loizzi has been with the Rutherford Police Department since 1987, and has served in various roles for PBA 300.

• Sparkle_girl_max50

Katz

Beautifully written story Nick. I will never forget that day and how so many lost their lives trying to save those that were beyond saving. Yet, they tried and many lost their lives doing what they are trained to do. I will never think any less of any of you, in my book you were and are Hero's. That day and today.
    I have the upmost respect for all who wear the Badge. Each day that you step out to do your job, your life is on the line. I respect you for who and what you are. You are all hero's to me, men and women alike. God bless you for serving.
    Rambo, you said it well..BUMP!

• 100_1750_max50

KCecala

Bump Nick this is beautifully written.

• Snoopy_6_max50

Jonas

Amen Nick!!!

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

sgt457 This governor, (note I am using lower case), should have been immediately recalled or at least he needs to have his sorry ass kicked out of office because of this! Unbelievable! Does he think he is better than anyone else? Sorry, silly question I guess.
    Now I have no problem with LEO's contributing a portion of their salary towards their retirement, such as 5-7% as long as the Agency matches it and it is vested and transferable. Officers still have the right to bargain for salary increases which I think should at least match the COL increase yearly. I do not think that Officers should be able to retire with 90% or more of their salary especially when many are allowed to return to their own jobs and collect their salary they made at retirement AND their retirement at the same time. THAT is what many are upset about and frankly I don't blame them.
    You have seen what I receive for retirement and it is sad indeed and should be much more and they should have to pay for all of my medical for life considering that because of my injuries my medical bills are in the tens of thousands each year. "I" am on the other end of the benefits and yes it should change, just as the other end needs to change.
    LE Officers are professionals and what they do is like nothing else. We risk our lives daily and suffer from the highest suicide rate, divorce rate and most of us are suffering from old injuries that happened while we were serving our community. We deserve more than most of us get but just like those few bad apples in out profession that make it hard for the rest of us, those few that are making much more than reasonable hurt us as much.
    I did not join this profession for money, I could have made much much more doing a number of other things. I became a Professional Police Officer because it is who and what I am and what I believe in. As hard as it has been on me and my family, and knowing now what would have happened, i would have still done this job as it was still worth every moment.

• Motor_cop_comic_max160_max50

sgt457

well said, Nick! The same is happening in Ohio, where our governor referred to a police officer who had ticketed him for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle as an "idiot" three times during a speech to public employees. Oh yeah he got the ticket three years ago and is still ticked off about it! His remarks came to light the same day that a Union Twp., Ohio police captain was killed in the line of duty.

• Christmas_2010_038_max50

Mongo1

Bump Oncethere and Robo large civilian unions use Police and Fire for their own ends and will through us under the bus to stay in power.

• Wolfspirit_max50

AKangel

YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN! YOU ARE ALL HERO'S IN MY EYES EVERY DAY! AND AS I RAISE MY CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN, YOU WILL REMAIN THE HERO'S.
    THE POLICE AND FIREMEN " 911 NEVER FORGET "
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Nick I just read and will share this with you because it touches all of us. Every day in America, our law enforcement brothers and sisters risk their lives for the betterment of our communities. But our brave men and women face more and more uncertainty in the line of duty.

On average, one law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty somewhere in the United States every 53 hours, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. In 2010 alone, 162 officers were killed in the line of duty -- a 40 percent increase from 2009. What is even more frightening is the fact that 38 law enforcement officers have been murdered in the line of duty since January 2011. We're just months into 2011, and already two U.S. Marshals have been slain only the second and third since 1992, according to the U.S. Marshals Service. Deputy U.S. Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller and U.S. Marshal John Perry were murdered by armed suspects resisting arrest.

Gone But Not Forgotten: Officers Killed In The Line Of Duty. Thanks to America's Most Wanted the story line will air on Saturday, March 12, 2011. So come along with John Walsh and Broward County Sheriff's Office this Saturday night on AMW.

"carry the torch" and light the path of those who follow.

Thanks Nick!

• Wings_max50

copper5817

Tell this to the AZ legislators who are trying to take away all our benefits...basically, it seems like they want the older guys gone...but they don't want us to ever retire....sorry but you can't have it both ways.

• Bronzestarribbon_max50

csiguy

Bump to ya Nick. Hope things get better...

• Att2307142_max50

Magee88

this just pisses me off. cops put their lives on the line every single day. they deserve every penny they make, plus a great retirement for protecting us.

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19386 Comments

According to surveys a majority of people cannot tell you the year 9/11 occurred. Yes, the average person has forgotten the heroes to whom much is owed. Still the land of the free, because of the brave.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

I agree that it is BECAUSE of the damn media that so many people now think that LEOs and FFs get too much which is definitely not true! While there are a few agencies that do get retirement benefits that are over the top, most do not. I have been retired on disability since 1985 for an OTJ injury that nearly killed me. I have no insurance other than Medicare thanks to SSAN and the VA because I am a military veteran. My pension is well under $20K a year so I am not making money hand over fist by any means.
    When the new politicians are trying to cut the budget those in middle management instead of getting rid of the dead material in middle and upper management, they want to hit the rank and file Officers and of course the media who are mostly left leaning want to hurt the conservatives in power, they go along with them and claim the only way to cut spending is to fire the cops and FF's stirring up the public to dislike the conservatives AND the cops! They win both ways! I for one am not falling for this garbage and know that cops and FF's deserve every bit of what they get and the rank and file guys do not need to be cut. These Government entities need to get rid of their little political dynasties and cronies and those that do nothing before they even look in the direction of your average LEO.

• Img_0010__2__max50

BigNTS

Thanks, eveyone for your comments. I wrote that yesterday morning in a fit of inspiration after having had enough of the crap that our governor is spewing about LEOs and Firefighters. Another big thanks to CliffviewPilot.com and Jerry DeMarco for publishing it.

• Img_3413_sq90_max50

cops1521

Robocop, bluelieu is correct. In NY State, all Public employees including FF and LEOs are criticized as being greedy and rich and reaping in all kind of benefits. The newspaper in my area has foiled many of the LE Agencies in this area including the NYSP, RPOD, and a suburb and published the LEOs salaries. While some defend the salaries many of the public complain and say they are paid to much. They say this even if the paper on the same page reports on a fallen or injured LEO or FF.

Yes, the media hypes it but the public believes what the media puts out there. I am a non sworn non union employee, paid in the low 30's and even I feel like I have to defend myself as a public employee as people think I am overpaid and reap in benefits.

1173851_10151815468689030_885758445_n_max30
axherrera posted: "Moving to Hawaii?", 6 minutes ago.
1173851_10151815468689030_885758445_n_max30
axherrera posted in: "Moving to Hawaii?", 6 minutes ago.
Img_0425_max30
MrsBristol commented on: "Arnita Bristol", 17 minutes ago.
Img_0425_max30
MrsBristol commented on: "Arnita Bristol", 21 minutes ago.
Img_0425_max30
MrsBristol commented on: JRF443's photo: "NCSHP Camaro", 25 minutes ago.