News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

NYPD Ordered to Turn Over Shooting Reports to Civil Liberties Union

NYPD Ordered to Turn Over Shooting Reports to Civil Liberties Union

The NYPD must now turn over initial reports filed within 24 hours of a police-related shooting - and more detailed reports within 90 days.

New York Daily News via YellowBrix

February 23, 2011

NEW YORK – A judge has ordered the NYPD to turn over internal reports on more than 800 cop-related shootings dating back to 1997 to the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Emily Goodman’s decision follows a 2009 lawsuit by the NYCLU that said the Police Department is withholding info from the public any time its members are involved in shootings with civilians.

“We expect that these disclosures will make possible for the first time a fully informed debate about police shootings,” said Christopher Dunn, the NYCLU’s lead lawyer on the case.

The city Law Department said it is considering an appeal.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly defended the handling of cop-involved shootings, saying every incident in which a bullet is fired from a service weapon is catalogued and an annual report on the shootings is also done.

“You’ll see more detailed information in that report than in any other similar report anywhere,” said Kelly.

• Derrick_max50

gradyg

Why they need to turn over the reports all the ACLU have to do is go to the library get on the computer or go to the NY Times and request the articles on all police related shootings and there you have it. If they do give up the reports it isn't going to hurt nothing like clobster stated what they ACLU going to do with the reports once they get them. What ever them reports reveal is probable already known.

• Justice-400_max50

clobster

I wouldn't get too stressed out about it. NYPD already gets raked over the coals and recieves a prostate exam-style investigation for all of their shootings. I doubt anything new or suprising will turn up, and I doubt the ACLU will do anything with it but whine and complain.

• Ocp-me_max50

sigmachimarine

I guess video isn't good enough anymore.

• Me_callie08172010_max50

els98

My God the can of worms this crap is gonna open. This is ABSURD! But yet we continue to get more and more restrained in what we as LE are able to do during a criminal investigation. Very upsetting, this "Judge" is a f'in idiot and when in the hell are OUR rights gonna be protected.

• Hpim1329_max50

tstanfill63

Fishing trip big time. Who is going to pay for all the copy costs and employee time in releasing copies of all these files.

CDG59263

I don't know about the NYCLU, but I had read somewhere that in 1917 the ACLU was originally part of the National Communist Workers Party. Be interesting to find out if that were in fact true.

• Big_bad_pig_max50

Ironpig

I agree with both of you. Wanna bet more lawsuits will come now when they call "victims" and let them know of something they "found" in a file. Jeesh! I thought we were the good guys!

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

Exactly rhood! I see no reason why this judge should have ordered this. I do not think that any order like this should be ruled unconstitutional as it is too wide. It would be like giving the police a warrant to look at everything that some person they don't like has! No specific reason given, just let me look through you files so I can see if you have done anything that they can go after you on civilly! Just not done and should not be done for this anti-police group!

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

Sounds like they are on a fishing trip.

2_max30
garrytomsum commented on: "garrytomsum smith", about 1 hour ago.
Blue_candle_holiday_memory_max30
IamQnMutha gave a thumbs up to The Post "Respecting Others", about 1 hour ago.
Blue_candle_holiday_memory_max30
IamQnMutha gave a thumbs up to The Post "my husband just got violated.", about 1 hour ago.
travisspeck commented on: "travis speck", about 2 hours ago.