News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Poll Finds That most NJ Residents Don't Feel Budget Cuts Have Impacted Public Safety

The Star-Leger via YellowBrix

February 16, 2011

NEW JERSEY – A new poll finds most New Jerseyans are satisfied with local police services and do not feel budget cuts have impacted public safety.

The Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Press Media Poll out today also finds a majority of respondents see little benefit to merging police departments. Fifty-two percent oppose the idea of a countywide police force, while 38 percent support it.

Nearly 70 percent of those surveyed saw no impact on overall public safety in their towns despite budget cuts and police layoffs. Twenty percent say the cuts have made their town less safe.

The poll was conducted by telephone with 801 New Jersey adults from Feb. 2-7 and has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

• 582602_3283682777720_334551836_n_max50

LanaNJ

BUMP IRISH/BigNTS!! You took the words right out of my mouth.... They Poll less than 1% of NJ residents, CMON........I'm a pretty bold Girl, but have already stopped dropping Off Some of my best Stranded Staff members at the Stadium who live in Newark, East Orange and Orange. It's been Very Hard for me to do that b/c I know some have to get home to their Wives or Kids, but I know first hand that these Cities are almost under Seige by the Criminal Element and now with the Layoffs, I'm simply not taking that Chance even for my best Workers.

• Cruise_2014_max50

BigNTS

Apparently, these people haven't been paying attention.

• Untitledma28839986-0002_max50

Irishcop1961

New Jersey has a population of 8.5 milion people. Wonder how many calls were made to Newark and Camden residents? I see the media put a lot into this poll. Sheeeesh

• Me_callie08172010_max50

els98

They'll see the impact eventually and will unfortunately be at the expense of the officers on the streets and their safety! Firemen too!

• P5120020_max50

deltaforceberlin

801 isn't much for a state like NJ. Also some serious cuts were done a few month ago. The bad effect will come. Promise! I know what I'am talking about... It will take some time, then you suddenly find out that the service is not the same anymore. And some politics will think they can do another cut real soon!

• Team_opca_max50

dhuitt

A poll conducted by the media. Enough said. Toilet paper has more use than this garbage.

ericson91 posted in: "Reduced Recovery Times After Workouts", 1 minute ago.
Female_bodysurfer_max30
MarlyB posted in: "New to police link", 10 minutes ago.
Ggb_max30
TheSarge posted in: "What has happened to my Police Link?", 14 minutes ago.