News >> Browse Articles >> Officer Down News

Nassau Police Officer Killed in Highway Wreck

Nassau Police Officer Killed in Highway Wreck

Associated Press

February 05, 2011

OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. (AP) — A Nassau County police officer has died from injuries sustained in a wreck on the Long Island Expressway in New York.

The crash happened just before 11 p.m. Friday.

Nassau County police say the officer was conducting a traffic stop near exit 39 in Old Westbury when the cruiser was struck from behind by another vehicle.

WINS radio is reporting that the officer had to be freed from the wreckage with heavy cutting tools.

The department announced the death Saturday morning. Officials did not immediately release the officer’s name or provide any other details about the crash.

The wreck closed part of the expressway for hours overnight.

• Sfa_iv_max50

revCCBeasley

My prayers to the family. RIP

• L_9ef2a64c65dffc40b2554b5f8d18a688_max50

TheGirlNextDoor

~Rest In Peace~

jodyk

So sorry to hear the news . My prayers go out to the family . Jody K

Shield81

It never fails.. when I read about a brother in arms being killed in the line of duty. It leaves a huge lump in my throat and teary eyes and I agree with robo about the crash absorbing vehicles that all agencies need to get. I truly am sorry for the officer's family and friends, I know what their going through.
    R.I.P BROTHER...

• Me_last_wk_max50

delano388

RIP Brother

• Esu_patch_max50

esu

RIP brother,,,
    wasnt a DWI, was a guy who fell asleep at the wheel of his truck, original story never mentioned alcohol. The officer was a cousin of a member who worked in my unit,, the whole family is devastated.

• Jack_bauer_max50

Allen705

Dunno Robo, but according to ODMP "The driver of the flatbed truck was arrested and charged with one count of criminally negligent homicide, three counts of assault, and failure to move over for an emergency vehicle." Looks like he got charged with not paying attention to the road and killing someone.

• 1979_max50

Robocop33

RIP my brother. God Bless your family and friends and help them through this terrible time.
    Anyone want to bet it was a DUI that hit the cruiser? POS needs to be sent to prison for a very long time. Cruisers need to be built with the rear-end collision in mind. I am talking about the Dodge, Chevy and Ford. The new Carbon Motors E7 will provide safety up to a 70 MPH rear-end hit.

• 041105-o-9999g-012_max50

Rscheiterle

Rest in Peace

• In_remembrance_of_oakland_pd_max50_max50_max50_max50_max50

rhood

Rest In Peace Officer Michael Califano, I pray the Lord will comfort your family and friends.

• Craig_w_floyd_and_chaplain_david_matthew_with_the_police_banner_max50

VolunteerChaplain813

To all law enforcement friends it was sad when another hero who doing his job. First I want to the family and friends God bless you in giving this hero of Police Officer Califano. And thank you to the Nassau County Police Department for blessing us with hero. And to the Chief of Police of Nassau County Police Department thank you sir. I will be praying you and your agency the days ahead let know that Lord Jesus Christ give all the peace that passes all understanding. I finish with this Chief of Police that yes there is a thing called In Valor There Is Hope: And IT IS NOT HOW THESE OFFICERS DIED THAT MADE THEM HEROES IT IS HOW THEY LIVED and trust me on this my friends thank be to god for that so let stand up by and remember the life of Nassau County Police Officer Califano and remember this hero will never be forgotten by me or nation. If you can contact me at the following; Chaplain David Matthew Duffany 315 Carol Street, Mascotte, Florida 34753-9253 or call me 352-457-0814 or email at: chaplaindavidmatthew@gmail.com

• Telecommunicator_rusch_max50

PGPD911

MOVE OVER PEOPLE AND OPEN YOUR EYES!! Rest in peace Officer Califano, thank you for your service Sir...

• Marvin_max50

lajustice

GOD bless you brother.

• Dolphins_fantasy_max50

dolphinblue

R.I.P.

• Monday_march_3_police_blotter_max50

fraustr1

R.I.P

darinjowers commented on: "darin jowers", 40 minutes ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan submitted the article: "Stanfield pair arrested in man's shooting death", about 2 hours ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs down to The Article "NOPD officer suspended, charged with sex crimes", about 2 hours ago.
Gods_team_max30
IowaNinersFan gave a thumbs up to The Article "Three men charged in $25,000 vandalism spree in Roselle", about 2 hours ago.