News >> Browse Articles >> Law Enforcement News

Oakland Mayor to Rehire Ten Laid Off Officers

Oakland Mayor to Rehire Ten Laid Off Officers

Mayor Jean Quan is shifting resources to the Police Dept.

San Francisco Chronicle via YellowBrix

February 01, 2011

OAKLAND – Oakland Mayor Jean Quan announced Monday that she would rehire 10 of the 80 officers the City Council laid off in July, one step in what she portrayed as a comprehensive effort to make the Police Department a top priority.

Quan said she would assign computer technicians to the Police Department and prioritize patrol car repairs. She also announced that long-standing problems with patrol car radios had been fixed.

The bevy of changes came just days after Police Chief Anthony Batts questioned the city’s dedication to lowering crime and suggested it might prompt him to leave. He said Monday that Quan’s moves were reassuring.

“The mayor has taken a very aggressive stance on the issues I’ve brought up,” he said, with Quan sitting beside him. “I hope the officers see the city is going in the right direction, working together, to make sure their workplace and environment is the best.”

Batts said he would decide by the end of the week what his future intentions would be. Quan has said she wants Batts to stay.

“I’m going to send him a valentine, too,” she joked.

Batts apologized if he offended anyone by his criticism of department resources last week.

“Sometimes you have to stand up and say some very tough things,” he said, adding that he was meeting with a variety of city residents and leaders to make sure no bridges were burned.

“I may have stepped on toes,” he said. “I have to make sure those relationships are still there and that we can all move forward as a city.”

The police department has been steadily losing officers for two years, going from a high of 837 in 2008 to 656 today.

The plan was to allow the force to reach 639 officers through retirements and transfers. Quan said she hopes to instead make 666 officers the new baseline.

“If it’s true, that’s very encouraging,” said Sgt. Dom Arotzarena, president of the Oakland Police Officers Association.

City Council President Larry Reid and Council Public Safety Committee Chair Pat Kernighan said they were committed to supporting Quan’s plan.

Quan also announced that four officers were promoted to sergeant last week, increasing officer supervision on the street – a key element in a controversial settlement agreement that has hung over the department.

• Images_max160_sq90_max50

t1401hm

I'm glad for them. Terrible to not have a job... Plus, obviously the streets will be safer.

• Ken__bike_patrol_max50

PAproud

A computer tech might not be able to prioritize repairs, but I know that without a working computer in the car, I'm almost out of service; I can't get my calls shipped down, I can't right reports in the car, and I can't check anything without tying up airtime. It can quickly get frustrating.

• Sfs_desktop_max50

patrickalders1

I am just lost how a computer tech/admin person will be able priortize vehicle repairs?? I have worked doing mechanic work in the military and our folks that worked the desk for us making sure things were done right on paper would be lost in the shop so I am lost that would work. I am sure the officers know there vehicles better than anyone or would hope they would.

• Shield_max50

janus41

Im glad there are still a few politicians who care about the police officers! Its a shame in my city, the fire dept isnt losing any of its members, WTF.

• 100_1019_max50

bobska

I agree, rehire all of the troops!!! The city sure could use them!

• Pug_max600_max50

DALLASCRANE

19382 Comments

Rehiring 12% of the officers is possibly a very small start. 666 is the mark of the Devil. I would not use that as the new baseline.

Bump Frank! You think they could've gone 667. At least they are moving in the right direction.

• Me_max50

stevemaynard

Still 70 guys out there. And a city in dire need of police officers.

• Wtc_badge_max600_max160_max50

servingproud

Rehire all the troops.........

• Photo_user_banned_big

BrooklynHillsCop

666...? Gotta love it... LOL.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

On another note, I am kind of hoping we take punishments back to the dark ages. Steal an apple, lose a hand.

• Tigerstripe_002_max50

Daysend

Thats what made America what it is today. The kind of guts that makes a man a man. He's got what it takes to stand up and say it for all to hear. Thats what will improve America and make life better for all of us.

• White_shirt_max50

uncledennis1

About time. Bring the rest back. Give them hell chief.

• 20552_1343137337912_1215571721_31006460_5991340_n_max50

TrafficCop28

We're fighting for our lives out here, although I'm glad to hear about these 10 officers, there needs to be more added to combat the crime on the streets. After losing 200 officers, criminals are winning the fight and these officers are fighting hard. Keep up the fight.

They need to hire them back at their pay status when they were laid off. I bet the mayor failed to mention they wouldn't do that. Typical politics.